News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Gaerne SG10 / boot chat

Started by Hank, July 30, 2012, 08:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

I think LD and Yeti both have these?  Care to fill me in on how you like them by now?

Rocky Mnt ATV still has them for cheap (relatively).  I like the look of the hinge.

As much as I'm riding I better get some real boots.

Lonesome Dave

I really like them.  I've never worn any other mx boots for comparison, but these feel great.  From the beginning, they were comfortable.  I wore them around the house for a couple of evenings before I committed to keep them.  I actually was going to buy the dual sport/trials boots by Gaerne.  After talking with the owner of "Atomic Moto" about how and where I ride, and what I like to do, he recommended I get a better/stiffer boot.  At first he didn't recommend the SG10s just a stiffer boot (SG10 is what wears).  I was worried about flexibility issues and that's why I wanted the dual sport boots in the first place.  I was concerned about the SG10 price, but then found them a lot cheaper at Rocky Mountain. 

As I said, the boot quality and leather is top shelf.  But, the hinge really makes the big difference.  At first I had problems shifting, but learned to adapt.  I remember wondering how much trouble would I have shifting if they weren't hinged.  I basically didn't have any break-in problems at all.  In-fact, I put on regular socks and went riding.  After several rides they started to rub at the top and I had to start wearing tall socks.  That's it, the only negative, I need tall socks! (Side note....tall socks, $2.99 or mx socks $14.99; any difference, probably not!) 

I highly recommend them especially the hinge.  LD

Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

Wow, these have went up in price since I got mine 3 years ago - I only paid $220 for mine.  :P

Actually, the SG10s are the most comfortable (serious) boot I've ever had...WHILE RIDING. You probably already know this, but these boots were definitely not made for walkin'.  ;-) They breath really well and are really cushy and soft on the inside. I usually wear a 14 and the 13 SG10s fit me like a glove - they run large and wide, which are both good for me. Have been pretty much waterproof for me, even though their not supposed to be. I haven't fjorded any rivers or anything, but they can definitely stand up to a downpour or a trudge through a puddle or two.

One of the first times I wore these, I was out riding with Excess and we were just starting an ATV trail on the other side of Silver City. About 10 feet in, I caught my foot between a stump and my peg - spun the bike around and laid me down on the ground - absolutely no damage to my foot. Bent my peg though. These are tough-ass boots.

They are quite tall but there's plenty of extra room for braces at the top of the boot. Quite wide at the top too, so take that into consideration if you're wearing over-the-boot pants. The buckles are really stout, and adjustable. I just wish they were metal instead of plastic.

You really do feel like a Stormtrooper when your off the bike, but the protection is worth it IMO.

All that being said, I recently bought a pair of Sidi Adventure Rain boots and I love these boots too. They are like the SG10s little brother. Just as comfortable to me as the SG10s. These run true-to-size and a bit on the wide side. *Almost* as much protection as the SG10 in a better looking/much easier to walk in boot. They're a bit more expensive though ($400). Check 'em out before you make a decision. I plan on using the Sidi's on the GS and WRR for "easy to moderate" off-roading, and only using the Gaernes for "serious" off-road on the WRR - something I find myself not doing or enjoying as much anymore.  :-[
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

I forgot to mention, before I settled on the Sidi Rains I went through a plethora of boots - Gaerne Balance Oiled (not enough protection and not wide enough for me), Alpinestar Scouts (a little better protection than the oiled, but still not wide enough for me), Gaerne G-Adventure (not wide enough, weak on protection), TCX Infinity (these were very close, but still not quite the protection I was looking for).

After about a 2-3 month search and a good chunk of change spent on return shipping, I got the Sidi's and finally found what I was looking for - a boot that could work for casual riding as well as serious off-road (not TOO serious).

Dr Psyko

LD will recal we talked about this at the rally, and several posts, but I bought the Gaerne Balance boots over the winter, and this spring was the first use. Happy with the purchase. Very comfortable, even walkable in a heavy workboot/hiking boot kind of way. No water penetration. I fell with the KLR on top of me in some muddy ruts, boot between the swingarm and the mud. The bike was lifted off me, foot no worse for wear. Great middle ground boot for me! I particularily like the lower sole and front foot section, easy to get under the shift lever and manuver generally.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

I have the Alpinestars Scouts and really like them. I have a pair of Moose Racing somethings and hated them, too stiff. The Scouts produce enough protection for my needs and they are super comfortable for walking is and I don't have to fight to shift or brake. And the are truely waterproof but never felt too hot.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Thanks for all the advice.  Anything would be better than the cheap AXOs I was wearing, but I went for maximum bomb-proof-ness and ordered the SG10s.

I had two close calls with the feet last weekend, both involving low speeds and stumps.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

You're gonna find that you'll probably have to adjust your shifters to accomodate the TALL toe box on the SG10s. But, after I did that, I got used to shifting and braking almost instantly.

Fletch

I may have to take a look at them as well, my old Aplpine Stars tech 8's are about shot :(
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hondaboy

I love my Sidi Disco Rains! I am also a big fan of the Sidi Crossfire SRS boots. I have a VERY wide foot, but I only wear a 81/2 size boot, so boot shopping is a total pain to find one that works. I would love to try the Alpinestars Tech 10, but can't bend my foot in all the right directions to even get my flipper into the bootie inside the Tech 10. The Gaerne SG10 and the SG12 are awesome boots and they do work great for a wide foot too. The Sidi Crossfire has a nice low toe box. I didn't have to move the shifter at all to accomodate the boot.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?