Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: JIM/BOGUSJIM
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY:1
DATE ARRIVING: Sept 14
DATE LEAVING: Sept 15
TENT OR RV: Just Riding

Bogus Jim

What kind of riding do you guys want to do? C, B, A? There are plenty of scenic C loops around Deerfield, and a few B loops. I don't know of much A stuff around Deerfield but some of the ATV trails are close.

I've been doing some scouting this week so I have a few suggestions. The first is a 90 mile scenic C loop that includes Flag Mountain lookout, the 129 overlook, the Custer photo site, Whitetail Peak, and the Castle Creek overlook. Flag Mountain and Whitetail peak are fairly well known but the other sites are not. This loop is suitable for beginners and big bikes; there are 3 slightly tougher sections but bypass routes are available for all 3.

The second is a 90 mile loop around southern Deerfield. This is a A/B loop, so tougher than the first loop. It includes Bear Mountain (I know Dan wants redemption on the Tiger), a water crossing designed to dump KLR's (added for NDave and gerry1eye), a special treat for those who like riding over lots of logs, the famous powerline trail, and some of the tougher Deerfield ATV trails at the end. The loop takes about 4-5 hours. I rode it today; it's one of the funnest rides I've had this year. Fun on a DRZ or smaller, doable on a KLR, challenging on a bigger bike.

The third is a 160 mile loop around Custer and Deerfield. The difficulty is similar to the southern Deerfield loop, but longer.  There's almost no pavement, and not much gravel, just mile after mile of trails.  I think it's the coolest route I've ever put together in the Hills, but maybe a bit taxing for most of us weekend warriors. This would be an all-day ride.

So... what do you want to ride?

greatbuffalo

I'm up for more B, C riding as I may be on a borrowed machine or the Tiger. If I were riding the WR or even the KLR I'd be up for a little more challenge.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Option 2, the 90 mile loop sounds like fun to me.   I'm not sure about fuel range though.  I'll be riding a new to me 03 WR450 and I don't really know how far it can go.   90 is pushing it though I bet.

Lonesome Dave

I'm sure one of the super tankers will riding along!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

Bummed I can't make it this time around - just too much going on at work, and on the family front. Have a blast guys, and I hope to see you all next spring!

Greatbuffalo - if you wanna mount up the brand new rear I got in my shed, you're welcome to take my WRR, she ain't been ridden all year and she's kinda sad about it.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Lonesome Dave

Be careful G Buff, you might not wanna go back!  And, that one's been crash tested.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Yeti, Sport Faller, Ancient Mariner, Dr P.... geez... won't be the same w/out you guys.
Yeti, you should at least blast out and say "hi" and have a beer!

ryani

All of those look like a great time.  90 plus miles!  looks like I would be putting gas in the backpack!!! 
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

jacin theis

I am counting 19, if Ryani comes thats an even 20. Ryani, are you in? This should eb a nice weekend. Sounds like a fun bunch(as if it ever isn't) and great weather. New territory should be nice. I appreciate everyones bringing food. Maybe we need to raise a barn or something.... ;)

Loingrader, how old are your kids? maybe that will get the wife more interested in coming for a visit. My kids always get bored around a group of adults talking bikes. It's wierd.

FYI, there is a frost advisory for tonight. Sheesh!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

greatbuffalo

Well folks, the Tiger has other issues...........
I read that if the Tiger Stator goes out the likelyhood of the Voltage regulator going out at the same time is fairly high. That is what happened. I tested one bad leg on the stator so I know it was bad, I'm not charging now so I'm assuming that the VR is out as well. I need to get one of those ordered. I was hoping for the best but the best didn't arrive.

Now....I've had several offers for borrowed bikes and the last one sounds like fun. So Yeti, where do you live? Will you be home tomorrow or will someone be there. Do you have (stupid question time) the tools to do the swap at your place? Or could it be trailered to the camp and swapped out there with some help from the other guys? I think I'll pick it up and trailer it to the camp and have Nathaniel ride the KLR out to camp cause I only have a 2 place trailer, but that would work good.

Yeti, I'll send you a PM with my # and you can call me at your leisure and we can talk about it. Thanks
That bike would be a hoot!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

ryani

I'm sorry to lead you guys on. haha.  It looks like you guys will have a great time!  Unfortunately I will be having the opposite....wedding. Need I say more.   

I will be a fixture at future rides.  You can count me in
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Hank

Yup, 19 matches my count (post 2) as well.   Oredenbacher and I will be there late tomorrow, probably midnight.  If someone wants to pick out a tent site for us and post it here that would be cool, so we're near the group.     It would save us driving around in the dark figuring out what to do!

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffaloNow....I've had several offers for borrowed bikes and the last one sounds like fun.

Uh-oh Dan. Don't ride a WRR unless you wanna buy one. 275 lbs. dry, EFI, wide ratio six speed, does a decent job on single track, and...

Stock engine, 20k miles. Course it helps the top speed if the rider is 165 lbs.   ;D

Bogus Jim

Quote from: HankI'm not sure about fuel range though.

We could cut it down to 70-80 miles, the zigzag trail that touches the Wyoming border is just a logging trail so not the greatest thrill anyway.

See you Friday...