News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

How heavy is the KLR...Really?

Started by ScubaMoto, September 25, 2008, 09:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScubaMoto

Hey Guys,

Looks like you all had a great time in this Hills last weekend.  It sounds like for some of you that was probably more technical riding than you were used to and possibly found yourself wondering "Really how heavy is this pig of a KLR that I'm bouncing over the rocks"?  I ran across a post by Watt-man (designer & dealer of the Thermo-bob mod) that deals specifically with this and thought I'd share it with you all.

****************************QUOTE*************************

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showpost.php?p=460180&postcount=9

"How much does a KLR weigh" is a subject that comes up frequently, and seems to generate more chatter than information. And now with the '08 being released and KHI raising the published weight by 51 pounds, the subject is getting a LOT of recent attention. My attempt is to try and provide some actual data which might settle some estimations. Most of our pre-08 bikes with fuel and oil commonly exceed 400 pounds.

Thanks to another poster we've found what appears to be an accurate weighing of a fully-fueled 2005 and 2008. Since they didn't use the data to draw all the conclusions I was looking for, I wanted to take that information and provide some BOTTOM LINE numbers for the group. I'll work this backwards: Answers first, then details if people want to read how it was calculated.

ANSWERS:

* The 2008 gained around 17 pounds from the earlier model.

*** DRY WEIGHT (no fuel, coolant, or oil):
*** 2008: measured 387 pounds. KHI says it's 386. Essentially dead-on!
*** 2005: measured 370 pounds. KHI says it's 337. We've all argued they've been off with that number for a while, what I'm implying today is that they've been quoting 33 pounds below actual for a number of years.

***** WET WEIGHT (full fuel, coolant and oil):
***** 2008: measured 428 pounds
***** 2005: measured 411 pounds (I also have weighed my 2004: also got 411 pounds with full fuel)

DETAILS:

They weighed the 2008 essentially twice and got 428 pounds each time. This is where the "WET" weight quoted above originated. They also weighed a 2005 model twice, and obtained 409 pounds one time and 413 pounds the other. I'm using the average of those two values, or 411 quoted above in "WET". The difference between 411 and 428 provides the 17 pound delta between model years.

The difference between "wet" and "dry" is simply 41 pounds. For starters, we know they really don't hold 6.1 gallons of fuel, more like 5.6. Since gasoline weighs 6.3 pounds per gallon, that is essentially 35 pounds. Next; 2.5 quarts of oil and 40 ounces of coolant come out very close to 6 pounds. So if there is no fuel, coolant or oil, we lose another 41 pounds. These values are quoted in the "DRY" section above.

Hopefully this will provide some clarity on the subject.

************************END QUOTE*************************

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2005 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Honda Accord EX

loingrader

that's good info scuba.  i knew it had to be heavier than 337lb dry. 

i nailed a big rock pretty good on saturday, and it stopped me cold.  bent the skidplate a little.  i knew it would take quite a bit of weight to do that. 

600+ pounds with me on it.  it's absolutly amazing what those pigs will climb with all that weight.

klr's rule.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

More than I like but it is not too much that a average sized guy can not handle. I think some mods to the suspension would do wonders for this bike and the add a 685 or 705 kit and you have a serious dual sport that still gets 45mph plus;D

loingrader

yea chad you got me thinking about that baja shock, and putting some new springs and racetech cartridge emulators in the fork.  lots of money, but still a pretty cheap bike when it's all told.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

LittleJacket

411 lbs-bike
25 lbs-excessories including tank bag
50 lbs-full luggage and tools
25 lbs-Helmet, Jacket, Boots, etc.
295 lbs-My Fat Ass!

806 lbs on my KLR and it handles just fine!   ;D

rpjohnso

Hank

Quote from: LittleJacket on September 26, 2008, 09:58:22 AM
411 lbs-bike
25 lbs-excessories including tank bag
50 lbs-full luggage and tools
25 lbs-Helmet, Jacket, Boots, etc.
295 lbs-My Fat Ass!

806 lbs on my KLR and it handles just fine!   ;D

Yeah compared to that Kenworth you drive its pretty damn light  :o

fringefan

Quote from: loingrader on September 26, 2008, 08:53:44 AM
yea chad you got me thinking about that baja shock, and putting some new springs and racetech cartridge emulators in the fork.  lots of money, but still a pretty cheap bike when it's all told.

Been reading up on the emulators and they sound sweet. For the rear I think the best route is to get a new rear shock but a new spring helps out the heavy guys but even that does give the performance it is capable of. You see how some of the other dual sports like XR,KTM,BMW, and even the DR track or really hug the groud and inspire a confidence the KLR just does not quite have.  Not excited about dropping 6-700 for shocks but like you said it is still pretty cheap overall. When you add it up you could have a 685 and new suspension for around 1500 and you would have a high performance DS for way less than a new bike ;D

Jared

Ack don't be talking like this, I should be spending money on ammo instead! ;D

PagoRora73

New pic. I got a solo seat option in for the KR. I think I need a couple of collars to really set it up correctly, but hey. More rare bits

fringefan

You need to post a pic of the solo seat.