News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fall Rally Followup!

Started by ORedenbacher, September 16, 2012, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORedenbacher

Thanks to all for the fun trails, delicious meals and friendly company!

Silica Mine

Terry & Custer Peaks in the distance

Fearless Photog

Hank

It was great seeing everyone again.. what a fun weekend of socializing and riding.

Joni - I hope you're feeling OK!

Here is the infamous mud crossing.   Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to wipe the dust off my lens.. doh!
I have the hi-res version available if someone wants it, but because of the dust it doesn't look much better.

I have about 9 gb of HD video from the weekend.  I've been having fun reliving it already!

Bogus Jim

Hopefully I don't get any death threats for putting that crossing on the route.  :evil

grubbie

Great! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to all the pics and vids, I didn't get much this time, a couple of low res pics on my phone is all. Thanks to everyone, hope you all had as much fun as we did!

JoniJo

Just like the DDSR. Acres of dry land and you pick the mud!!!!!   8)    JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

ryani

Very jealous.   Looks like a great time for sure.  I'll be there next spring
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

jacin theis

HA! i love that video. I have never got to see myself tip over, and i do it alot....  Glad i wasnt the only one who forgot how to ride in mud.... it makes the dust stick better.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

hipster

From at the video, it looks like you guys had good riding weather.

Bogus Jim

I wish we had video of jacin riding his 1100 GS up the small hillclimb on the powerline trail. He could show the video at the BMW club meeting... "hey guys, this is how you're supposed to ride a GS."  ;D

My GoPro quit working a couple weeks before the rally and they didn't send a replacement in time, so I don't have any video from the rally. That's a bummer, we rode some cool trails.

jacin theis

A few photos to share with you.
1100 GS

jacin theis

1100 GS

jacin theis

1100 GS

jacin theis

1100 GS

jacin theis

And last, NDave telling everyone about the massive, huge, deep, mud-hole we crossed.....
1100 GS

Bogus Jim

Here are the fall rally tracks for the 4 rides I was leading.

Friday Morning C Loop is an easy loop that includes the 655/157 trails, Flag Mountain lookout, and the 129 overlook. 46.8 miles, 3:45 hours, average 12 mph.

Friday Afternoon B Loop includes the infamous mud crossing and the Bear Mountain climb. 39.3 miles, 2:53 hours, 14 mph average. Just in case any greenies are reading, the mud crossing was on a legal trail; the trail marker is clearly visible in Hank's video.

Saturday Morning B Loop includes the Bear Mountain climb, Jasper trails, and part of the powerline trail. It was really hot Saturday (90+ degrees) so we bailed a little early on the ride. 70.6 miles, 4:00 hours, 18 mph average. This is a fun loop to ride at a faster pace; your suspension and your body will get a workout.

Saturday Afternoon C Loop includes 242/241 (fun trails with some whoops), 245 (dustiest trail in the entire Black Hills  :-\ ), and the 6809 trail. 6809 has a 1-mile climb through a narrow canyon. An easy ride even for big bikes but a really fun trail; several who rode it said it was their favorite trail of the fall rally. There's an absolutely awesome view at the end of trail 6807. 47.3 miles, 2:59 hours, 16 mph average.