News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Went for a ride yesterday...

Started by The Yeti, September 26, 2008, 09:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

...without a real plan, just headed out Neck Yoke Road:

After doing my normal cut across from Neck Yoke to Hwy 16 (turn right before the Children's Home Society, good road for some good speed and a few small, fun water crossings), I went up 16 to the Keystone Y and took a right on a gravel road that cuts across to Sheridan Lake. There's a lot of off-shoots on this road:

Anyone know what these plants are? I see 'em all over the hills, and some of 'em are almost as tall as me!

A buddy of mine told me that "back-in-the-day" you could get to the back side of Sheridan Lake off of one of these off-shoots...I tried every single one and either hit a gate, or the road was dug up/blocked with boulders. I ended up in this little community right on the lake, never knew it was there, but there's a nice little cabin/trailer for sale:

I don't think the level of the creek running into Sheridan has been high enough to worry about monitoring for quite some time:

Too the left:

To the right:

Thought about channeling Brian & Brett and riding up that scree field, but I got over that real quick!  ;D

The creek running into Sheridan is pretty dang small these days:

On the way back to town from Sheridan Lake, I turned off on Victoria Lake Road (not quite sure whatever happened to the lake  ??? ). Explored quite a few of the side roads here, but most end in private property:

As I said elsewhere, I was still feeling the effects of the DDSR Rally last weekend, and was riding for just a couple of hours, but needed a break:

Some nature shots while resting:

My new gloves, still a little stiff, but breaking in nicely:

Mounted back up and hit another side road, ended up at a gate that others had obviously went around, so I followed suit.  ;D  After a pretty steep little hill climb, I ended up here:

To the left:

To the right:

Rode the crest of this hill for a little ways:

Then dropped down this hill:

And ended up at this sign  :o

Since I don't really like the feeling of getting shot (I'm assuming), I turned around and went back to the main road:

My saviour!!   ;D

A few random pics:

Mmmmm....veal:

Saw this very small pair of shoes hanging in a tree...is there some signifigance to this?

More random pics:

By then, the shadow were getting a little long, and it was time to head home  :'(

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

that looks like a beautiful ride and, as always, great pics.

i call those plants "toilet paper" plants.  don't think that is their official botanical name though.  they have nice big soft leafs that work great for hiney wiping.  we've got a few in our pastures in kansas.  they can get out of control sometimes and may even be considered a noxious weed.  i'm always glad to find one once in a while, just in case the need arises.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Jud

Quote from: loingrader on September 26, 2008, 11:41:26 AM
that looks like a beautiful ride and, as always, great pics.

i call those plants "toilet paper" plants.  don't think that is their official botanical name though.  they have nice big soft leafs that work great for hiney wiping.  we've got a few in our pastures in kansas.  they can get out of control sometimes and may even be considered a noxious weed.  i'm always glad to find one once in a while, just in case the need arises.

Are they noxious before you use them, or just afterwards?

loingrader

well you see, that depends on your perspective.  if they are invading your field and killing all the grass, then as a landowner they would be considered noxious, but to me they are clean, soft and definitly not noxious.  once i have utilized the tp like properties of said plant, i think that everyone would agree that it would now be considered very noxious.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dustin

Great pics Yeti...  ;D Looks like a nice casual ride, not all those insane rocks!  :evil

The Yeti

Quote from: Dustin on September 30, 2008, 08:14:55 PM
Great pics Yeti...  ;D Looks like a nice casual ride, not all those insane rocks!  :evil

Let me know when you want to come out for a guided tour!  ;D

Dratharr

Nice post the pics are great but those shoes are just creepy! My wife and I rode up to the hills this weekend and camped at Sheridan it was great perfect weather. Lots of people in the hills, it seems the Buffalo Roundup is the main attraction. ;D

The Yeti

Quote from: Dratharr on September 30, 2008, 10:00:57 PM
Nice post the pics are great but those shoes are just creepy! My wife and I rode up to the hills this weekend and camped at Sheridan it was great perfect weather. Lots of people in the hills, it seems the Buffalo Roundup is the main attraction. ;D

Shoulda let me know you were here, coulda went for a ride!

Jared

In cities when you saw a pair of shoes over a power line or phone line, it used to mean that was a place to buy drugs, but I think that got played out pretty quick.  Not sure what it means in the woods.

flexlarson

Great Pics man . Very nice reports
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

The Yeti