News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Suspension Settings

Started by The Yeti, September 29, 2008, 03:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

I'm ready to try Camp 5 again, this time on the pegs.

attaboy yeti!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on October 08, 2008, 09:50:51 AM
attaboy yeti!

The difference in handling is nothing short of amazing. It's a wonder how I ever rode this bike over anything rough.  Now, it just kinda floats over the rough stuff!  I find myself aiming for the most rocky lines and avoiding the easy lines.  :evil

Haven't tried airing down the tires with the new suspension settings, but I'm expecting wonderous things!  ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

I'm anxious to try your settings.  How much do you weigh?   Come on, don't be modest   :evil

Just think how kick ass it would be if you sent them in to super plush and had them revalved specifically for your weight and riding style.

The Yeti

I'm around 220, I suppose around 240 with gear.

The Yeti

Quote from: The Yeti on October 08, 2008, 10:06:03 AM
Haven't tried airing down the tires with the new suspension settings, but I'm expecting wonderous things!  ;D

Okay, so I tried airing down the tires this past weekend. Went down to 20psi both front & rear...didn't seem to make much of a difference, definitely not as drastic a difference it made when I had my old stiff suspension settings going over Camp 5. I think since I softened up the suspension, the lower tire pressures just don't make as much difference. However, I haven't went over any Camp 5 level rocks, yet.

loingrader

i don't know what pressures most guys run in the rough stuff on those 950's, but 20psi really doesn not sound very low.   maybe you need to get some rimlocks on that bike so you can really drop the pressures down. 

once you get that baby dialed in, none of us on our 30hp bikes will be able to keep up with you yeti. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I think at 20 or lower you'd be at serious risk of bent rims on the KTM.  They are notoriously soft and there are many threads in the OC about bent rims.   Go down that low or lower and run through rocks we'd better get a set of Woody's rims!   Too bad they are so darn expensive.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on October 22, 2008, 01:03:15 PM
Too bad they are so darn expensive.

yea, but it's a ktm!  just another drop in the bucket.  sometimes you have to buck up and lay down some cash to get those big austrian bikes to go the same places that the little jap bikes will go. 

it's the nature of the beasts

The Yeti

I've read of guys going as low as 12-15psi with the Dunlops, only because they have such stiff sidewalls (can even run flat if need be). I'm not gonna try anything lower than 18 (that's where I had 'em last time through Camp 5), I don't need a bent rim or to rip out a valve stem.

For now, I'm gonna stick with Neduro's recommended pressures: 27psi front & rear for all/any terrain. Seems to work pretty well for 99% of the stuff I ride (the other 1% being Camp 5  :o ).

Quoteyea, but it's a ktm!  just another drop in the bucket

I may own what's considered a "high dollar" motorcycle, but I'm really not that well off. I wasted A LOT of money getting to this bike (almost had my $19K Goldwing paid for when I traded). The only thing I got going for me is no kids = more toys for me!  ;D

Quotesometimes you have to buck up and lay down some cash to get those big austrian bikes to go the same places that the little jap bikes will go.

But, convincing the wife that that is something important is a whole other matter.  ;)

Hank

Yeah I think convincing my wife I need a $1000 (or whatever they cost) pair of Woody's wheels would be a tough sell.

I got my KTM for a song considering the mileage and age, but it was still plenty especially when all the "farkles" were added.   Worth every penny though!

loingrader

if the bikes do what you want, and the kids still have a little food on the table, all is good in my book.

luckily i don't have kids either, and the wife is always cool about my cycle obsessions and expenditures.

it is a blessing!

fringefan

Happy wife = a hapy home. I know it to be true but still have trouble making that happen.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on October 22, 2008, 01:03:15 PM
I think at 20 or lower you'd be at serious risk of bent rims on the KTM. 

nice rim yeti.  that will get you some points around the campfire. 

if the rim has a flat spot, it will ride a little rough on the highway, but since you have had it up to 100 i doubt that it is.  you probably just got the edge of the rim to bend out, like ryan did on his klr. 

if it looked like the bead wanted to blow out of there, i would put a scrap of wood on the bent part of the rim and give it a few hits with a 2 lb hammer.  i think fringe has a nice hammer selection if you need to borrow one.

if it looks ok, just ride the thing.  it makes it look tough.