News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Wanted: beginner bike

Started by liverup, October 27, 2012, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liverup

I'm just putting a feeler out.  I've got three boys 7, 10 & 13.  Thx to Hank I got a sweet XT225 for my 13yo.  Now I'm looking around for something small that both the 7 and 10 yo could learn on.  I prefer something electric start unless its stupid easy starting.  Thx.
Todd

Hank

How's that 225 been working out?

liverup

It works perfect.  I rode it to work everyday I could.  Its just a simple easy riding little bike.  Did you replace it with anything?

Hank

Cara liked that XT so well that before we sold it she bought a pretty mint 07, but after a lot of single track she decided to try a WR250F and that's been great for her.  The 07 XT will be for sale next spring, or sooner if someone is looking.    The XTs are, like you said, just super easy riding little bikes.  I think they are a perfect starter bike.   If you ride them through a lot of gnarly single track you'll find their limitations fairly early though.

liverup

Hank,
What are you asking for your 07?

Hank

I think it will be around 2100.    Its in fantastic shape and only has like 2700 miles on it.     Pretty blue / white one.

I could get some pics if you want.   Hadn't really planned on trying to sell it until spring, but I don't need to store it either.

liverup

If its not a huge problem go ahead and send me some pics.  My email is liverup@hotmail.com.  Thx!  No rush.

Dr Psyko

I have a well used Honda XR70, I believe a mid 90's. Jake came back from riding it one day saying it wouldn't start, and I've never even looked at it. Don't have a clue! I'ts been in the back of the garage under some boxes for 10 years I think. You can probably find one of these closer to home though.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

liverup

Thx!  I will definitely keep you in mind if I get that direction or hear someone going that way.  So far we're still looking.  Take care.

agspecialties

Quote from: Dr Psyko on November 01, 2012, 01:03:27 PM
I have a well used Honda XR70, I believe a mid 90's. Jake came back from riding it one day saying it wouldn't start, and I've never even looked at it. Don't have a clue! I'ts been in the back of the garage under some boxes for 10 years I think. You can probably find one of these closer to home though.

Dr
How much do you want for your 70 as it sits now??

Dr Psyko

Wow, that's a hard one. I really don't know if he simply bumped the key to the off position, or if the crank fragged. I know it was cared for (oil changes etc.) as he was riding it, never a problem all along, he could kick start it as a 7 yr old, but I put it away and never looked again! Is it worth 400?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

numb41

I had an xr 50 and a 70.  They are both great bikes, but my boys drove the 50 more.  With stock gearing, the 70 gets pretty fast.  Both were easy to start and fun.  If you get the 70, you'll play on it to.  I raced the 50 a couple of times at the indoor go cart track in rapid city a number of years back - that was a hoot!

liverup

Quote from: numb41 on November 08, 2012, 05:29:45 PM
I had an xr 50 and a 70.  They are both great bikes, but my boys drove the 50 more.  With stock gearing, the 70 gets pretty fast.  Both were easy to start and fun.  If you get the 70, you'll play on it to.  I raced the 50 a couple of times at the indoor go cart track in rapid city a number of years back - that was a hoot!

Maybe I'd be better off with a 50.  My 2nd grader is not real big.  Sounds like the 70 might be too much for him.

agspecialties

Hey Dr, i am intrested in your 70.

Lets talk i will PM you.

plumber mike

I thought I'd bump this rather than start a new one.

I'd like to find a 50cc but a 70 could work. Not picky. Cheaper the better. Dr. Psycho, if you still had yours, that sounds like my kind of deal. A lonesomeDave type of trade could work as well.

I have two boys so I could justify one a little nicer....maybe. I've not yet checked out the OSET electric trials bike, but one of those is an option too.

I also have an old yz80 if anyone thinks it's worth reviving. It will need a big bore kit(3-500 online) as the rings went bad and scratched the jug......free to good home.

Thanks guys!