News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2007 Suzuki DRZ 400

Started by akfalla, November 06, 2012, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfalla

http://sd.craigslist.org/mcy/3390643067.html

I'm not sure if it's a GOOD deal... but I just came across this today, thought I'd share.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– "Wow! What a Ride!"  :o -Hunter S. Thompson

Dr Psyko

Can you ride these bikes cross country? I like the idea of a lighter, faster bike than the KLR, but wonder how terrible a 1600m round trip would be?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

I've ridden mine across SD 4 times.    Local shop had one from NY or somewhere roll in the other day.

You need a bigger tank, and gearing it up a little wouldn't hurt.    My gearing is stock and it runs 65 no problem.   70 is starting to push it.    I can get 150miles out of my tank with some to spare.    The mileage really starts to suffer over 65.   It gets 60 mpg on the trail, 40 at 60-65 mph. 

A better seat would be a good plan too.

I know others disagree (Loingrader!) but I'd take a DRZ over a KLR any day, mostly because its so much better off road.

That said, 4500 for an 07 is pretty over priced.   I'd take 2500 for my 06.. although I'm debating selling it at the moment.

Lonesome Dave

I'd carry a extra front sprocket.  One for road and other for trail.  Or, get a six speed tranny.  The WR250R has the six speed, but it's still a 250.  A lot of people ride them long distances and love them.  I have mine geared down and drive 65.  If I gear it up for highway, then I do have some issues with shifting up and down on hills (even small ones).  That's why I believe a 400cc with 6 gears would be ideal.  LD 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on November 07, 2012, 10:08:31 AM

I know others disagree (Loingrader!) but I'd take a DRZ over a KLR any day, mostly because its so much better off road.

;D

70 MPH with a stiff headwind and mileage can drop below 20mpg.  Unless you slow way down and have a ton of time I doubt you would enjoy a drz even fully farkled compared to your klr, especially coming from mpls.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on November 08, 2012, 11:31:30 PM
Quote from: Hank on November 07, 2012, 10:08:31 AM

;D

70 MPH with a stiff headwind and mileage can drop below 20mpg.  Unless you slow way down and have a ton of time I doubt you would enjoy a drz even fully farkled compared to your klr, especially coming from mpls.

Only if the bike isn't running right.   I ran across SD with Hipster and Osnabrock in about a 40mph wind once and still got 35 or 40.   :)
When I first had the bike I got sub 30 mileage, but then realized the needle was set way too high.  Changed that and now the mileage is generally 40 plus on the road to 60 plus at low speeds.

NDave

Dr 400 =  38 mpg                          Dr nice offroad        Vee  super on  blacktop

KLR     =55 mpg                              Why is it     that 9 out of 10 times     the KLR is the one that  leaves the

Vee      = 38  mpg                             barn?           The last bike I own will  be my swiss army KLR

Icy      thanks for the message on the keys           next time I am in the hills   maybe you will there also

or call  701 258 3421