News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Breakfast / Lunch get-together?

Started by Lonesome Dave, January 05, 2013, 02:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on January 09, 2014, 01:12:47 PM
not really a crash, but...brought the new 1190 home and dropped it off the trailer.

ya, I'm an idiot.. and karma is apparently fairly instant. rolled it out the front door of the dealer, there is a pretty good hill so I put my left foot on the left peg, started rolling and swung my other leg over. rolled down the hill and onto the trailer. Had it half tied down by the time the sales guy got there:

"you must of done that before"
" a few times"

drive home feeling all studly and superior to the typical bike loader, back the trailer up to the garage. take tiedowns off and let it sit on the side stand. release trailer tilt lock and hop on, start rolling back and a combination forgetting to put the sidestand up and it catching on the end of the trailer and my foot being on ice it tipped over and landed on the side of the trailer. after a uttering every cuss word I know (some of them twice) I righted it and rolled it into the garage. fortunately it only made contact with the trailer rail in a couple places. the side fariing piece is broken ($308) and the end cap on the exhaust is scratched.

feel free to laugh, everyone else has.

anyhow, here it is:

new parts are not available yet so I will have to duct tape it for the first couple rides :rolleyes:

Well, its a gorgeous bike, congrats!

Sorry about the mishap.  My stomach hurts just thinking about having that happen first day.

U motors in Fargo called telling me they have an 1190 on the floor, but I'm going to stick with the Tiger for at least another year or two.

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on January 09, 2014, 02:10:31 PM
not really a crash, but...brought the new 1190 home and dropped it off the trailer.

ya, I'm an idiot.. and karma is apparently fairly instant. rolled it out the front door of the dealer, there is a pretty good hill so I put my left foot on the left peg, started rolling and swung my other leg over. rolled down the hill and onto the trailer. Had it half tied down by the time the sales guy got there:

"you must of done that before"
" a few times"

drive home feeling all studly and superior to the typical bike loader, back the trailer up to the garage. take tiedowns off and let it sit on the side stand. release trailer tilt lock and hop on, start rolling back and a combination forgetting to put the sidestand up and it catching on the end of the trailer and my foot being on ice it tipped over and landed on the side of the trailer. after a uttering every cuss word I know (some of them twice) I righted it and rolled it into the garage. fortunately it only made contact with the trailer rail in a couple places. the side fariing piece is broken ($308) and the end cap on the exhaust is scratched.

feel free to laugh, everyone else has.

anyhow, here it is:

new parts are not available yet so I will have to duct tape it for the first couple rides :rolleyes:

Well, its a gorgeous bike, congrats!

Sorry about the mishap.  My stomach hurts just thinking about having that happen first day.

U motors in Fargo called telling me they have an 1190 on the floor, but I'm going to stick with the Tiger for at least another year or two.

actually the damage was pretty minor. replace the side fairing piece, install tank protectors from KTMtwins to cover the scratches on the tank, and send the exhaust tip (its removable) to the powder coater. should be pretty again for just under $400.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

tannerc

dropped it off the trailer.

start rolling back and a combination forgetting to put the sidestand up and it catching on the end of the trailer and my foot being on ice it tipped over and landed on the side of the trailer. after a uttering every cuss word I know (some of them twice)

I just did that same shit not more then an hour ago.
Kickstand down, rolling off the trailer at a steady rate, Kickstand hit the trailer, bucked me off and the bike fell over    Half on half off the trailer :-[
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Lonesome Dave

Fletch, looks great, (at least one side) hope to see it on Sat.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Quote from: tannerc on January 09, 2014, 05:36:35 PM

Kickstand down, rolling off the trailer at a steady rate, Kickstand hit the trailer, bucked me off and the bike fell over    Half on half off the trailer :-[

Oh no.   Vstrom or BRP?   I hope the BRP?

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on January 09, 2014, 08:27:54 PM
Quote from: tannerc on January 09, 2014, 05:36:35 PM

Oh no.   Vstrom or BRP?   I hope the BRP?

BRP

no damage, and no one saw me do it  ;)
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on January 09, 2014, 04:34:19 PM
actually the damage was pretty minor. replace the side fairing piece, install tank protectors from KTMtwins to cover the scratches on the tank, and send the exhaust tip (its removable) to the powder coater. should be pretty again for just under $400.

Make sure and give us a good review of the 1190.  I'm really curious to know how you're liking it!

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on January 22, 2014, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: Fletch on January 09, 2014, 04:34:19 PM

Make sure and give us a good review of the 1190.  I'm really curious to know how you're liking it!

^^  ::)

Dont tell us you havent been riding it either, I see the forecasts for that area.

Fletch

I've only been able to put a few hundred miles on, so far so good.

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on January 22, 2014, 03:06:10 PM

My initial impressions are fantastic! I have only ridden on gravel so the off road ability is still in question, but it feels as good or better than my 990. On the street it is far better than the 990 for both comfort and handling (and obviously power). The electronics are the most impressive part. Actually the electronics was one reason I thought twice about trading the 990 for it. I've never liked "driving aids" but I have to admit the ABS/MTC on this works so well you don't even notice it. 0-100-0 on gravel is uneventful and the bike stays amazingly stable.
It holds a gallon more fuel so that is a plus. I'm sending the forks to superplush for stiffer springs and a revalve. I seriously considered riding it the way it is as it is pretty good, but for the $ I think it will be worth it, specially off-road. according to the numbers it is heavier than the 990 but everything from pushing it around the garage, riding, and picking it up off the ground ::) it feels lighter? You can try it out for yourself at the spring or fall rally if you want.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Fletch on January 27, 2014, 08:28:54 AM
0-100-0 on gravel is uneventful

Do you have the speedo set to km/h or mph?  ::)

greatbuffalo

Seen many reviews and all say the 1190 is better than the 990. Most say its a bit less off roadable but is miles ahead on the road. Everyone loves the suspension. And as you said, the electronic package is top notch.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on January 27, 2014, 11:30:11 AM
Quote from: Fletch on January 27, 2014, 08:28:54 AM
0-100-0 on gravel is uneventful

Do you have the speedo set to km/h or mph?  ::)

LOL... it was mph, but it is off quite a bit. the indicated 102 was probably closer to 90.  ;)

Lonesome Dave

Well its time again.  Second Saturday of the month.  Breakfast at Marlin's / Windmill at 9:00 am (exit 55).  Anybody coming?

Last month we had a brand new slightly damaged KTM.  Maybe this month will see the new Sherco at breakfast.  Woody, you going to ride it?
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

I think I can make it? and I got the replacement part for the KTM, plus the exhaust end cap is going to the powder coater today so next time it will appear new, unless I do something else stupid before then?