News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Winter projects?

Started by Hank, January 06, 2013, 04:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Before we know it, riding season will be here.    Anyone besides Osnabrock and Agspecialties got any interesting winter projects going?

I'm giving the WR450 a thorough going through, but don't have anything especially cool happening.

The WR has gotten:

Valves checked and 4 of 5 adjusted

New higher bend Renthal bars with the +2 Rox risers from my DRZ, new shorty levers and hand guards, and of course new grips.   This also required all new cables (push / pull, hot start and clutch) as the stockers had zero slack.   Its 10 years old, so its probably due for new ones anyway.   A broken clutch cable is a pain a long way from home, especially in the middle of some gnarly single track.

I'm also giving the chassis a good service.   All the swingarm / link bearings apparently had never been greased, so I replaced all of them.  Why are the factories so stingy with grease!?!  Holy crap are there a lot of seals, spacers, sleeves and needle bearings in that system.  It ended up taking quite a bit of time.
Still need to grease the head bearings.    A new D952 will be going on the front at the same time.

A 3.1 gallon tank will be going on too, and then Wacked is making new seats for it and Cara's WR250.   Can't wait to see those.

I thought long and hard about sending in the fork and shocks for gold valves and ideal springing, but couldn't justify the price of it. 

Nothing exciting or picture worthy in any of that, but all in all a fair sized project that was much needed.

Hank

Who'd have thunk so many parts.  Nearly everthing that is round in this fiche got replaced.

Bogus Jim

It's not a very interesting winter project, but I'm probably going to pull the engine and split the cases on my wrr. Last summer I burnt up the stator (right before the spring rally) and after replacing it, I started noticing a fair amount of junk in the oil filter. Not steel shavings, but black stuff - I'm sure it's the burnt epoxy from the stator coils.

My concern is, if the oil pickup screen is partially plugged, the cam bearings may not get enough oil pressure and they'll eventually self destruct. Unfortunately on this engine there is no way to access the pickup screen, other than splitting the cases. A gasket set is only $60, I figure that and a couple Saturdays of labor will be worth the piece of mind. It would really suck if I blew the engine on the trail and had to get towed home by a KLR.   ;D

jacin theis

Per Greatbuffalo, there is no towing allowed in DDSR anymore..... :(
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

greatbuffalo

Yah, don't want to go down that rode again. My right knee still hurts. It wouldn't have so bad if it were my machine also.

I do have to summon the energy to get over to the shop and pull the carb off the WR250f and do a rebuild on it and check the valves and new cables. Kind of what your doing Hank. I too have been thinking of risers after riding Yeti's wrr with the risers. Much more relaxed on the pegs.

I have a motor mount on the Tiger that I'm waffling on fixing. It busted on one of the naps it took nearly 2 years ago. It doesn't seem to affect things just bugs me. Gotta kick that around with my machinist.

Bogus, I got lucky when the stator went out on my Tiger that the epoxy just got hot and swelled. The was a couple of small areas where it scraped on the rotor but it didn't come apart, thankfully. I could see how that crap would get into the crankcase through the stator case drain.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Hank, where'd you get your longer cables? Motion Pro?

Hank

Yes, motion pro.  They made my custom blackbird cables too.

Lee Bruns

I got a spiffy brand new front wheelf or my V strom, then got a good used wheel on the way off of Ebay. I'll have teh Vstrom repaird in short order. Then will work on puting a sidecar on teh CB900 for the Motocycle Shop. And help another fellow to convert his 450 honda to a rigid chopper frame. Then check the valves on the DRZ250, Then put a sidecar on the GT750 so its not such a small target for texting car drivers to not see.  Afte that I can get to work on building that softball pitching machine for Special Olympics.

greatbuffalo

Just finished rebuilding the carb, more of a tune up, on the WR250. mostly back together and it lives.... Wahooo!!!

Osnabrock

I don't think I've posted anything about this bike yet.
I have one more winter project but this one won't be ready by the spring.  It's my first bike that I purchased from my best friend for $50 about 20 years ago. 
I rode it 'til it broke and then stored it in an old wooden grain bin for about 18 years.  From there, it held a place of prestige in my home and my niece and nephew would love to pretend to ride it when they were over. 
It's quite complete other than the parts I need to rebuild the top end.  I'm not rushing into this one because it's an important project.
1967 Suzuki B105P
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

Hank

Yes that is very cool!

Sent from my mobile Commodore Pet

agspecialties

Here is the engine for the Bultaco