News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

I Drank the Orange Kool Aid

Started by Bogus Jim, February 16, 2013, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Quote from: FletchSo, what do you think now that you got to ride it?

I think... KTM cc's are not like other cc's.  ;D 

The power down low is very controllable, you can just dial in what you need. Above 1/2 throttle, things are more intense, it can break the rear tire loose in the first 4 gears. It requires some "restraint" when exiting the corners, I'll need to sort that out, and a few other things. It will be a learning process. But overall I think it's an easy bike to ride - as long as you don't get stupid with the throttle.

I did notice immediately the rear spring (8.0 kg/mm) is way too stiff for me. Randy included the stock 6.9 kg/mm, I put that in last night so we'll see how it goes today.

Fletch

Changing the spring in the power valve will change the power delivery if you want to do some experimenting
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: FletchChanging the spring in the power valve will change the power delivery if you want to do some experimenting

I was wondering about that. It has the yellow spring now, I might want to try the green spring for singletrack. Today went much better; I put the 6.9 shock spring in and set the clickers back to the specs in the KTM manual. Way better for my weight I think.

One of the things you see the expert riders doing is wheeling through a section of whoops. I could never quite do that on the WRR, but I pulled it off a couple times today on the KTM! Maybe only 1 out of every 4 laps, I got it right, but what a cool technique when you get it right. The front wheel never touches, and the rear just skips across the tops of the whoops. Sweet.

Fletch

I have he yellow in my 300 and like it, haven't tried the green but definitely don't like the red.

Osnabrock

I always compare new bikes to what I'm currently riding.  I knew that you and Yeti loved your WRR's and, since I respect both of our opinions, I knew it was worth looking into.  The WRR, stock, left me lacking. So I got my DRZ.  It had more oomph, it was closer to KLR I'd been riding for years.  It was just closer to the down low power I was used to.
Keep in mind that the E2 class of enduro riding places 175-250 2 strokes in the same category as 290-450 4 strokes.
For me, coming off the DRZ, my Gas Gas 200 felt pretty similar as far as power went.  Only the 200 just tracked better than the DRZ. 
I feel they're just different tools. 
I do know what you're talking about as far as the whoops go though.  My DRZ's suspension would "pack up" on that type of riding.  While it's still not a natural feeling, to just turn the throttle through them, it's what you have to do.
I'm happy, and jealous, that you've got the 250.  My arm might be twisted to try a 250 when it's time for a change if your review is favorable.
Gas Gas of course. Poke Poke.

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

I'm curious to see the new KTM 1190 Adventure. I think it looks a lot like an orange Wee. But then again, the lines are becoming very blurred in the big adventure market.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 04, 2013, 09:56:52 PM
I'm curious to see the new KTM 1190 Adventure. I think it looks a lot like an orange Wee. But then again, the lines are becoming very blurred in the big adventure market.

While a bit more power would be nice on the pavement (hey my other bike is a CBR1000 ;)) I wouldn't want any more weight than my 990. It's a handful off road.

greatbuffalo

I find it hard to believe it is replacing the 990A. I can see an addition to the line but the 990 has a huge following and I can't see the 1190 being anywhere close offroad.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 05, 2013, 09:04:21 AM
I find it hard to believe it is replacing the 990A. I can see an addition to the line but the 990 has a huge following and I can't see the 1190 being anywhere close offroad.

I hope you are right! For me the 990 is the closest thing to "the perfect bike" I have ever found.

Dr Psyko

There is a review in the latest "cycle world" magazine, and although they liked the 1190, they say compares most closely to the new GS.  In other words a primarily street oriented machine, moving into the luxury touring ranks.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

And they said it was replacing the 990A. Don't really get it.

Bogus Jim

Well looks like the snow we had this week is going to delay the 2013 Grand Opening of the singletrack.

But the good news is UPS brought me this big box today.  :)   Anxious to put it on and try it out but at this point, I think even Farmingdale is snowed in.

Fletch

Hopefully only a few more weeks....

Bogus Jim

Still haven't found the top end on this bike. There is throttle left at 77 mph, that's all the faster I care to go at Farmingdale. May have to balance the tires and take a run on the interstate.  ;D

The new suspension is nice. I like it more than my revalved WRR suspension, and I like that suspension a lot.

I think it's time to put on a trail sticker, I hear the rocks calling my name.