News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Bobber Project

Started by sam i am, March 07, 2013, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam i am

I've been wanting to build a bobber for quite some time now and have just been waiting for the right deal to come along.  Ideally I was looking for an old Triumph Bonneville or Shovelhead to cut up, but then this Yamaha beauty popped up on Craigslist.  She's a 1981 XS650S that still runs like a champ.  I talked the guy down to $650 and rode it home... $1 per cc ain't bad!  ;D ;D  I sort of have an idea of the look I'm going for and will probably stretch it around 4 inches and lower it a couple inches, with no changes to the rake.  At the end you'll see a pic of one of my favorite XS650 bobbers... low, sleek, spokes, drag bars, and simple.  I'm extremely anxious to start tearing it apart and cutting/welding it back together!

If any of you guys have a line on some XS650 spoked wheels, let me know!

Bogus Jim

Lonesome Dave

That looks like its in nice shape.  There ought to be parts you don't need that you can sell, and bring it down below $1 cc!  Should be fun to watch, good luck.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

sam i am

Quote from: BogusJim on March 07, 2013, 06:35:55 PM
This guy has several rim/spoke kits but no hubs...

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-56.html#products

Thanks for the link.  I'll probably end up buying a set of his 18" hoops and spokes in lieu of the stock 19" front and 16" rear rims that the XS came with.  Should even out the stance a bit.  Wish I could just be content with the stock mags because it's looking like setting up a pair of spoked wheels is gonna cost $400+.   :o

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on March 07, 2013, 08:13:39 PM
That looks like its in nice shape.  There ought to be parts you don't need that you can sell, and bring it down below $1 cc!  Should be fun to watch, good luck.

Thanks!  I plan on trying to sell as much of the take off pieces as possible.  But unfortunately, I think the market is pretty saturated with XS650 parts because it's such a popular bike to turn into cafe/chop/bob.  However, the one thing I have going for me is 1981 was the only year the XS650 had a drum rear mag, which a lot of people prefer because it looks cleaner than a big ugly rotor.  So maybe I could find someone who really wants mags and trade them for their hubs...  8)

Lee Bruns

I have a fixture that bolts to the rear engine mount of the XS. YOu then whack the stock axle plates off of the swingarm, bolt them into the fixture and it holds the axle plates perfectly square while you weld in the new hardtail upper and lower rails. I'm located in Watertown if you'd like to borrow the fixture. Its handy as all heck. I also made a fixture to hold the headstock for stretching (Not raking) on the XS but I'm with you and prefer to leave the neck alone.

JoniJo

My new XS650 S project.... almost done!

Joni

JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Hank

That's pretty darn cool Joni!

Sent from my mobile Commodore Pet

greatbuffalo

If your looking for custom parts, look a Joker Machine. These are great guys to do business with. Mostly for the cafe world but will work for any custom project.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?