News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

spring 2013 ride mid-end of May?

Started by hellneau, March 10, 2013, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellneau

Today was a beautiful day here in the Black Hills and my wife just made another wonderful Sunday dinner. I've polished off the last olive in my after-dinner martini, so naturally I started thinking about riding my motorcycle. I like a short, little excursion to work the bugs out of winter storage. Last year I did a quick 'first trip of the season' and I had such a good time, I am going to do it again this spring provided the economy doesn't collapse or the sequester doesn't shut down the very roads we drive on. Only this time, I am going to invite anyone and everyone to join the fun and frivolity for any stage you prefer or the whole dang thing if you like. Ya see, I like to watch (motorcycle races - ya perv!) and I went to the spring races in Daytona every single year I lived in Florida (and a few I didn't), so I want this trip to culminate with the AMA Superbike races in Salt Lake at Miller Motorsports Park.

Last year, here's what I did: I left the northern hills Friday after work and with a little snaking around middle Wyoming (which at times reminded me of middle earth) I made it to Rawlings and this little Thai restaurant right in the middle of downtown Rawlings for stir fry steak with veggies and sticky rice. The Super 8 was only $39/night last year. Camping in a gravel parking lot across the street was $22. I am quickly approaching 60, do the math!

The next day I meandered a bit down the Continental Divide Trail to Aspen Alley (yes in the springtime it is pretty too), then hurried along the southern edge of the Snowy Mountains into Colorado, dodged the deer between Craig and Rifle and kept a sharp eye on the ma-roons driving through Grand Junction. I camped that night in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.  The temp dropped a bit when the sun went behind the mountains (from mid-60's to 29 at 9PM) but after an adult beverage or two, I zipped up my sleeping bag and fell asleep to a couple of owls doing their best to keep me awake. I bring a full size pillow in one of those cavernous metal spares containers I refer to as saddle bags and slept like an owl in the daytime.

Sunday, I played a bit in the La Sal Mountains (lots-a-fun) and entered Moab the long way around (from the south). Sunday night in Moab was magic. I was the only one in town (blatant lie) and just about had my pick of campsites (very true) on the Colorado River where I stayed for the next three nights.  Also, the temps went from cool in Wyoming and Colorado to blustery hot in Utah.

I puttered in and around Moab doing Onion Creek, the staircase and a couple of other easy ones for Monday and Tuesday, then Wednesday morning I got the urge to go see Torrey and played around some in the Escalante Canyons (they should call them the Escalante sand traps!) rode Devil's Backbone which bounced my camera into non-existence and out of Boulder, rode the Burr Trail where there is another staircase just as cool as the Shaffer Switchbacks that leads to the Totem – Bullfrog Road which in turn leads to the back side of Glen Canyon – way cool ride – then back up for another night of camping in Fruita. Long day, passed out quick, slept in mother natures' own aroma therapy - an orchard in the spring. Too bad they don't sell that as deodorant. They could make a fortune!

Thursday morning I thought, eh what the heck - and pointed my ride toward Salt Lake in the thought they might let me walk around the pits for free and sure enough, after about a four hour ride into the wind and a little confusion finding the track (don't follow me, I got lost), they did. Everyone was very nice and wanted to talk with a complete stranger -who knew nothing about racing- about everything from track strategy to the best places for dinner in Salt Lake - that was the guy standing behind me. Plus, I was that close to GP race bikes, Battle of the Twins bikes, Superbikes and lots more!

But the better find was a group of adventure riders who were camped across the track (on the race track grounds – in a fire truck museum) that provided breakfasts, rides, training sessions and track passes. Everyone I met was very nice and willing to share stories and experiences. Even though my wife made me hotel reservations in Salt Lake, I spent the majority of my time with the adventure rider guys at the track until Sunday afternoon, when I pointed my ride east to head home.

*********I just checked the internet and round two of the AMA Superbike season does not have a destination yet. So it would appear the races at Miller are off for this year.

Maybe Jackson Hole on the way home? I was told the Goblin Valley area in Utah is very scenic with some wonderful side roads.

Maybe a few extra days exploring the Moki Dugway, Monument Valley or the Valley of the Gods. 

Or can you say 'Road America' the following weekend?

Or, if anyone is interested we could trailer queen the bikes in a mad rush to a warm inviting condo with a fireplace in Park City for a luxury week and day trip from there. Warm, comfy beds and drinks on the patio at 8PM. Now that the races are off, the sky's kinda like the limit.

All in all, I had a great time last year and can't wait to do it again this spring. Now - who's in?

jacin theis

evil, evil man..... Oh how I dream of a trip like this. I really hope somebody enjoys this with you. Ride Safe!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

No doubt, that sounds like a lot of fun.   I'd love to join you, but its not in the cards for me this year.

hellneau

Ya know, I wrote this last week and posted it without looking around the website at all. This week while checking to see if anyone was taking the bait, I noticed Snooker has an equally enticing invitation in the same time frame for just about the same location. Not wanting to conflict or take anything away from anyone else, I respectfully withdraw my invitation. Happy riding.