News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Dirt bike backpack

Started by Bogus Jim, April 09, 2013, 11:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

I'm looking for a backpack with a bladder that holds about 2.5-3 liters, and enough pockets for storing a minimal tool kit, snacks, phone, spot, etc. Anybody have any recommendations? Or maybe a backpack + tool belt.

I currently use a Camelbak Lobo, but it does not have enough storage pockets to carry all the above. And I don't want to put panniers on the KTM.  ;D

Kind of thinking about the Klim Nac Pak, it has a built in tool pouch.

greatbuffalo

Not sure if you could go wrong at 95 bucks with a the Klim tag.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

I had the same problem when I was using a regular water bladder carrier. My solution was found at scheels. Red Rock Outdoors assault pack. with a Wal-mart bladder.
It has sinch straps on the sides to suck it down to almost flat if you dont need alot of room or open them up to alow for more then enough room for about anything. Plenty of molle straps if you want to add anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99bPRzie4E

Comes in a lot of different colors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-ROCK-OUTDOOR-GEAR-Red-and-Black-ASSAULT-PACK-18-X-11-X-11-EACH-E9599-/310583281340#vi-content

I think it was about $50 from scheels on ebay they can be had for less ($35).

They also have a smaller one if the assault pack looks too bulky

$35 with bladder

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rock-Outdoor-Gear-Hydration/dp/B0088QNTLU
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Fletch

A friend has one of these and I really like it, just can bring myself to spend that much$$$

http://www.themotostop.com/ZAC_Speed_Recon_Pack_With_Chest_Protector_p/und-zacrec10p.htm
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Wacked

Just picked up the Geigerrig 700.

Fisrst saw it last summer.  Really liked the pressure system, water filter, and how the bladder can be opened for cleaning.  Got mine on Ebay but saw them a couple of weeks later at Rice Honda.

Wacked

Lonesome Dave

That ZAC Speed Pack looks very interesting.  Real expensive, but I want/need hydro and chest protector already.  One of the videos I saw it also has lower back protector.  Jimbo, why don't you buy and then I can look at it.   
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on April 10, 2013, 11:30:18 AM
  Jimbo, why don't you buy and then I can look at it.

great idea ;D

torgo

Wolfman makes a kick a$$ one I use.

3L Hydaration, and room for tools and clips for fuel or water bottles.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=203
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome DaveJimbo, why don't you buy and then I can look at it.   

I have a pressure suit; going to stick with that for the time being, so I don't have a need for the chest protector. Sorry LONESOME Dave.

Quote from: torgoWolfman makes a kick a$$ one I use.

I have a couple Wolfman bags, but I have not looked at their site for about 2 1/2 years. Wow, they have added a lot of products since then. Glad to see a U.S. company doing well.

I don't know if I am any closer to a decision  :-\  but thanks for posting the ideas, everyone. Kinda leaning towards the wolfy or klim.

Osnabrock

I wear and enduro belt for my tools and a hydration pack separately.  No specific reason for it. 
It took a little while to get used to wearing  the enduro belt but it's nothing now.  Tools weigh a bit and when I'm seated the weight is carried on the seat, not on my hips. 
My hydration pack is only that, no room for anything else. I'm having a hard time finding another one that doesn't have a whole bunch of bells and whistles. 
I've been looking at the Geigerrig ones that Wacked mentioned.  It seems like they have a pretty sweet set up.
I steal the Wolfman E12 bags that I keep on my DRZ if I need more space or just don't want to strap anymore stuff to me.  If I have those on the bike I just put water and tools in them.  I like them a lot and it looks like they make some smaller ones now too.  http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=95  I got mine for a much better price than they are asking now. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Sportfaller

I have the Klim knackpack, and its awesome, they have a bigger version too, but I dont really have a need for the huge one, particularly since I dont have a bike.  There is something blue and yellow in my future I think! :evil
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Dr Psyko

I've just seen a new design for bicyclists that I like, trying to figure how this would work on a motorcycle.  It is a bladder that connects underneath the seat of a bicycle, where the small sundry item bag usually hangs.  It has a long tube extending up to the handlebars, with a really smart retracting line that attaches to the handlebar.  You can reach down with your hand pick up the tab, put in your mouth, drink, and simply let it go and it retracts back to the same position on the handlebar.  Of course a normal motorcycle helmet would make that more complicated.  Nice to not have to carry it, probably would stay cooler, wondering if it could fit in a tank bag.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Fletch

Quote from: Dr Psyko on April 11, 2013, 12:42:47 PM
I've just seen a new design for bicyclists that I like, trying to figure how this would work on a motorcycle.  It is a bladder that connects underneath the seat of a bicycle, where the small sundry item bag usually hangs.  It has a long tube extending up to the handlebars, with a really smart retracting line that attaches to the handlebar.  You can reach down with your hand pick up the tab, put in your mouth, drink, and simply let it go and it retracts back to the same position on the handlebar.  Of course a normal motorcycle helmet would make that more complicated.  Nice to not have to carry it, probably would stay cooler, wondering if it could fit in a tank bag.

on long trips on the 990 I put the camelback bladder in my tank bag, leaving the hose sticking out enought to grab it for a drink then push it back into the bag, works great..

Bogus Jim

I decided to try Osnabrock's setup here... enduro belt plus camelbak. My thinking is, I'd rather have the weight on my hips instead of putting tools in the backpack and having more weight on my shoulders. The smaller enduro saddlebags from Wolfman or Giant Loop seem like a good idea too, if you need to carry more stuff. I hate tail bags for serious off road, they are always in the way when you need to do a quick dismount.

I got the Klim scramble pak, $39 at Atomic Moto.

greatbuffalo

That sounds like a great idea. I just may have to follow suit.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?