2009 DDSR Rally Blog-3rd Weekend in June, 2009

Started by LittleJacket, October 07, 2008, 03:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Great writing! But sometimes I wonder what it's like living in your head.   ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Crazy Uncle Larry

Every day is a new adventure!

Seriously, working juvenile corrections like I have for the last 12+ years, you sometimes need to get away from the
depression and hopelessness you see some of our young people and their families stuck in. You need some way to re-charge your batteries. I do it by writing, hiking, riding bike (mtn. & moto), kayaking, climbing, and such other things which require your immediate focus. It's tough to think about work when repelling off of a 3-pitch climb like Spire 2 with nothing between you and the ground but your harness and and the rope in your hand! I can tell you we didn't think about work much we Number Two/Aaron and I made the Laramie Lap back on the 7th of last month. It was more like,okay shift weight, put your feet down to stay upright, get off the throttle, let off the brake a little and keep the front tire rolling, dang...hope I don't fall over like Number Two/Aaron did, dude...are we giants today or what, hey..got another cookie, nuts...hope my tennis elbow will quiet down enough for me to gut out this ride, where is the ibuprofen, etc, etc.

So, yeah, we all need a little adventure every day and sometimes we have to create it when it doesn't come to us readily. We all need to flush our minds at times. Besides, I bet there's things others of you do to achieve the same thing I do through my writing. I use words to paint a story, some of you create things with metal, some create stories through pictures, some create stories by the people you've come to know in your life, while others are simply waiting for the right moment to share their gifts.

One things for sure Yeti...sometimes it does gets crowded up in my head. When that happens, I simply need the solace of a "small campfire and the dark, starry sky above to make things right again.

Right now, though, I'm about a half-bubble off of plumb. I'm sitting at home with the doggone flu. Hope it gets gone by the next time we have good weather.

Catch you later. 
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

NorShor

Uncle Larry - you scare me, in good way! (Plus you're probably close to my age and work in the same type of asylum). Hey, get well soon!
Any thoughts to the group of camping "off the grid"?
My experience camping anywhere near a res/lake is high price and high enforcement. Some of the backway and out of the way campgrounds go largely unnoticed, but may not offer showers and close prox to beer/fuel. I should also note that my times in the Hills have been later in the summer and fall. I was thinking of spots like Ditch Creek, or towards Cement Ridge for away from the crowd venues. Good riding in the areas, but maybe not the most convenient. Those who are lucky enough to live in the Hills certainly have the best knowledge of what that weekend would look like re: crowds and available camping. Really doesn't matter to me - 12 hr drive regardless.......
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Mountainair

Hey All, did you know that the 2009 V-Strom gathering is the 25th - 29th of June here in the Black Hills ?
Here is a link for anybody interested.

http://sites.google.com/site/2009vstromgathering/

or

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=31549

FYI
Jimbo

The Yeti

That's cool! I'll have to try and crash some of their rides, maybe show 'em Camp 5!  :evil
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Dustin

Quote from: The Yeti on March 09, 2009, 11:14:32 AM
That's cool! I'll have to try and crash some of their rides, maybe show 'em Camp 5!  :evil

That would be very very evil Yeti!!! You'd need to video that train wreck!!  :evil

Hank

Camp 5 on a vstrom would be interesting.   I'd set up an exhaust repair shop at the end of the route (they have low head pipes).

cman60

Every day is a good day to ride, just some are better than others.

Hank

loingrader

ah.  camp 5.  how i miss thee. 

june rally is gettin closer!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I expect Ryan will start the official sign up thread soon. 

In the meantime, its looking like I wont be making the June rally except for maybe Sat. night camping and fellowship (beer).   Paul and I are currently planning on doing a saddle sore that week Wed, June 17 from Watertown to Glacier Park (1050 miles) then spending Thurs there to enjoy some R/R and a ride over Going to the Sun Highway, then we'll ride back to the Hills Fri / Sat, possibly through Yellowstone and hit the Hills to camp w/ you boars on Sat night. 

Hate to miss the DS'ing, but there is always the Sept rally. 

This is all pending me getting my GS road ready by then, but I don't expect that should be a problem barring any major mechanical disasters that occur between now and then.   

fringefan

Man I thought you would be taking that little enduro you where working on ;D then you could call it an iron but day.

Hank

I don't think riding the 400 w/ its 70mile fuel range 1000 miles in a day would be much fun....  maybe after I've done a couple on something more practical    ;D

loingrader

that will be an awesome ride jason.  glacier and going to the sun highway are on my short list of trips in the near future.  we will miss you guys at the rally though!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro