News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2009 DDSR Rally Blog-3rd Weekend in June, 2009

Started by LittleJacket, October 07, 2008, 03:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleJacket

Lets share ideas for next year's rally. 

I would like to explore Either Spearfish Canyon or Head more south towards Custer State Park.  I was just thinking that we haven't seen any wildlife on either event.  We could maybe take the bikes through Bear Country USA.  However, the Yeti might be the only one to survive with his Kevlar reenforced riding jacket.  I would like to see some Buffalo, Elk, or maybe even a Deer.  Soo, any thoughts fellas?
rpjohnso

The Yeti

I think the southern hills is a great idea, there seems to be less baby-head sized rocks in the south.  ;D Also, Brian doesn't know his way around down there, so he can't lead us into his so-called "fun" trails.   ;D

Not sure if Bear Country allows bikes to ride through...during the Sturgis Rally, I always see lots of Harleys parked at the entrance with bikers loading up on their buses.

QuoteI would like to see some Buffalo, Elk, or maybe even a Deer.

You WILL see buffalo in CSP of course, you may see an Elk, but those deer are pretty darn rare.  ;)  CSP has VERY limited offroad opportunities, but the one that I know of is a beautiful ride and I've been told that there are Elk back there, although I've yet to see one. Most of the offroad in CSP is gravel. There are MANY jeep trails, but the general public isn't allowed on those (AFAIK), unlesss you plead ignorance... Then there's the entrance fee (I buy a yearly pass every year anyway).

Off topic:
Earlier this year, I took a ride down Playhouse Road. About a half a mile down the road, there was a fire road (at least it looked like a fire road) heading off to the left. There wasn't any signs saying I couldn't go that way, so I did.  8)

Ended up in a very pretty area (I have pics, but not loaded on Photobucket). The road became kinda vague, and could tell it was rarely traveled. There was quite a few little creek crossings. Was a fun road. Then, I came around a corner, and there to my left, about 20 feet away, was a VERY large BULL BUFFALO just laying in the grass. At the time I was negotiating a pretty rutty piece of the road and thought to myself, "don't you DARE drop it here!". The bull got up as I went past, and my heart skipped a couple beats as I tried to ride away as fast as I could. I looked back about :30 seconds later and he was headed out in the opposite direction...whew! (I have been chased by a buffalo in CSP once before on a bike, did not want a repeat performance.)

Anyway, this road came out onto the highway eventually, and there WAS a sign on this end of the road saying NO OFFROAD TRAVEL PERMITTED...oops.  ;D

Back on thread: Wind Cave park (also in the southern hills) has a lot of wildlife as well, and doesn't cost anything to ride through, I know nothing about off-road there.

I do know A LOT of trails around the Rockerville, Hill City, Mt. Rushmore, Sheridan Lake areas and if we stayed in the southern hills, these would be easier to access (less slab to get there).

Not sure where to camp. The Mt. Rushmore KOA is centrally located, has all the ammenities of home, but is always pretty crowded, and it ain't what I'd call cheap. I'll do some checking around and see what our options are.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

The Hills are not that big and since they took really good care of us this past June I like the situation we have camping at fish n fry. Plenty of room with a nice sheltered place to hang in case it rains with food, grill, and showers close by. I am fine washing in a stream but I know that is not for everyone and not everyone can cook up dinner without a microwave. Basic needs are food, shelter,rum/beer, backwoods cigars, and showers, and there are not many places in the souther hills south of hills city that meet those needs in additoin having a shop with tools close by.

To spend a day in CSP it is going to be a heavy road day with very few off road options so to commute down there would take a little over an hour.  I am only a piece of the cog that spins this wheel but that is my 2 cents.

I would like to also explore the area south of spearfish or the western hills because there is nothing but trees, hills, and roads that could lead? Like that idea.   

joedaddy

I am down with anything and will get the weekend off.  If the general consensus if for the southern hills, I live off of hwy 40 about 6 miles out of keystone and have 6 wooded acres and plenty of spare room/bathrooms for people to use.  Also a fridge just for booze and two large grills.  Everyone would be welcome to stay here for the weekend.  Plenty of room for tents and I could even find a stream just for you Chad  ;D

loingrader

that is one heck of a generous offer.  what a guy!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

VERY generous offer!!

Can we have a bonfire??   ;D

Hank

That is a great offer.   Keep in mind though that if it's like last year there could be 20+ people!   That might overload your facilities a bit!

flexlarson

"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

The Yeti

flexlarson

Lets do it and pretend that we are not riding them ...(mentally project our body and mind to a flat freshly paved road )and then say we did . :)
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

The Yeti

Let's NOT do it, and ride nice, smooth fire roads, but project our minds & bodies to Camp 5 (or worse...whatever, I'm not really riding it so it could be a glacial scree field or freakin' Mars for all I care), and then say we did!  ;D ;D ;D

hayduke.klr07

I'm in.  i would recommend the southern hills though that time of year.  odds are it will be wet up north.  the other bonus to the southern hills is the loop potential.  we can ride 100 mile loops for days and barely touch asphalt.  can you say jasper burn area?  there are plenty of camping opportunities from hill city to the south that would fill all the needs.  i'd like to buy in with the E ticket this year.  last year was a blast if only for one day with all you guys.  i'll do some checking on the camping too. 
i'm liking the skiing right now but wanting to ride real bad!

The Yeti

Hey Chris! Great to see you finally found us!

I'm with you on the dry, southern hills loops...and I know you know your way around them parts! I spend the vast majority of my riding time in the northern/central hills and would like to see some of the offroad opprtunities in the south that I haven't seen before.

Hank

Hey Chris - I was wondering when you'd show up!  I hope you make it in June.. show us some more of those excellent, little known trails!

I think the southern hills sound like a good plan as well.

Jared