News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2009 DDSR Rally Blog-3rd Weekend in June, 2009

Started by LittleJacket, October 07, 2008, 03:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Will be my 3rd or 4th time there on bike.. but it's been almost 15 yrs.   I'm excited.

Hank

And I'll be doing it on the oldest bike yet... funny.

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on March 31, 2009, 05:53:49 PM
I expect Ryan will start the official sign up thread soon. 

In the meantime, its looking like I wont be making the June rally except for maybe Sat. night camping and fellowship (beer).   Paul and I are currently planning on doing a saddle sore that week Wed, June 17 from Watertown to Glacier Park (1050 miles) then spending Thurs there to enjoy some R/R and a ride over Going to the Sun Highway, then we'll ride back to the Hills Fri / Sat, possibly through Yellowstone and hit the Hills to camp w/ you boars on Sat night. 

Hate to miss the DS'ing, but there is always the Sept rally. 

This is all pending me getting my GS road ready by then, but I don't expect that should be a problem barring any major mechanical disasters that occur between now and then.   

WTF, Hank?? You gonna make me the sole KTM representative this time 'round??  How dare you plan a trip during the DDSR rally....wrong, just wrong I tell ya!

Seriously, I'm kinda jealous, have never been to Glacier on a bike, and haven't been there in about 30 years (same goes for Jellystone). If you can't get yer GS goin', you gonna take the 950?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

I probably would take the KTM if the GS blows up on me.. but I think the GS will be lookin' good by then.  It's pretty close already.
GS has a little bigger seat.. which I'm thinking will be seriously beneficial for that first day.....

I am bummed about missing the DDSR rally.. no doubt.. but since I had already planned to be gone that weekend, and it's ~ the longest days of the year, and I've got this Iron Butt bug (you can thank Paul for that)....    I guess the stars have aligned for that weekend.     I'll still come drink beer and talk smart Sat night though!

Dustin

Hank - That is a very adventurous trip! I have never traveled that many miles in one day! I think it would be a very fun trip, I'm kinda jealous actually. Hopefully the GS hangs in there and doesn't fail, maybe you can hang out Sunday and take the GS thru camp 5  :evil.
God speed and good luck!

Any way with the recent news now leaves me flying solo out to the hills :(.  I know there are a few fellow easterners like Ryan and Brett. What are you guys planning on doing? If there is any one else coming thru on I-90 maybe we can meet up and ride together.

fringefan

Dustin, there are a few guys north of the boarder that said they where heading out here. Send scuba a pm and see how they are comming down.

Should be a good time and look forward to the camp fire stories again this year.

loingrader

we'll see when we get closer dustin, but you are welcome to ride out with me.  you'd still be solo for awhile, but i'll be taking highway 44 out again this year, which is much better than i-90 on a klr.  ryan will probably be coming out that way again this year too i bet. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dustin

Quote from: loingrader on April 06, 2009, 09:13:45 AM
we'll see when we get closer dustin, but you are welcome to ride out with me.  you'd still be solo for awhile, but i'll be taking highway 44 out again this year, which is much better than i-90 on a klr.  ryan will probably be coming out that way again this year too i bet. 

Cool! Good to know. Yea highways are much better, I don't think I've ever taken my KLR on the interstate. I was just too lazy to pull out a map for hwy #'s.  :D

loingrader

did you guys take 212 out in sept?  i bet that is a lonely highway (which is how i like em).
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dustin

Nope.... We took Hwy 14 to Hwy 34 right into Sturgis. It was a very lonely highway! Always nice not having to deal with traffic.  ;D