News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Cleaning air filters

Started by Bogus Jim, May 08, 2013, 08:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

What do you guys use to clean your air filters? I'm always looking to learn a better/easier way to do things... I think I'm gonna try the technique in this video. Mineral spirits and a cold water rinse.

Hank

I've always used the Dawn dishwashing soap method, but I'm sure there is a better way.

Dr Psyko

I use the faucet at fish/n/fry with Dial deoderant soap (always helps when someone thoughtfully brings along KN filter oil).
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Fletch

I use the spray stuff (can't remember the name) spray it on, let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse with water.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Robmicgrn

I was just told by a shop the other day that the cleaning method depends on the type of oile used in the filter. Some pre oiled filters come with either petroleum based, or the EVO friendly bean oil. So you need to know what you got first.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Lonesome Dave

What's an air filter? I found something one time with bugs in it, so I beat them with a hammer.  (for you Bogus)
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on May 09, 2013, 12:48:52 PM
I found something one time with bugs in it, so I beat them with a hammer.

That was probably one of Lisa's cats. You really should wear your reading glasses when you're in the garage.

Osnabrock

A lot of folks I know use the No Toil system.  They actually just toss their filters in the washing machine. 
Here's a poorly crafted video of the product. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdo5HD5TP0
It's a bit of a cost to get into it but I'm beginning to hate washing filters the old fashioned way.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Fletch

Quote from: Osnabrock on May 09, 2013, 03:30:33 PM
A lot of folks I know use the No Toil system.  They actually just toss their filters in the washing machine. 
Here's a poorly crafted video of the product. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdo5HD5TP0
It's a bit of a cost to get into it but I'm beginning to hate washing filters the old fashioned way.

I got distracted by the girl and missed the whole point... ???
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Osnabrock on May 09, 2013, 03:30:33 PM
A lot of folks I know use the No Toil system.

I was looking at No Toil too. More stuff to buy, seems like it's always something. Anyways I'll try the mineral spirits a couple times since I've got a gallon of that sitting around. Maybe try the No Toil stuff later this summer.

Osnabrock

Let us know how the mineral spirits work.  Like you, I have a jug of it sitting around. 
I washed my filters about a week ago using the spray-on cleaner and rinsed it out in my laundry tub in my basement.  The scent just left the place.  I just don't learn.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Lonesome Dave

Gage at Mx Connection sells "no toil" but doesn't use it!  He says, although its very sticky oil to catch dirt, in his opinion it has a dryer feel to it.  His experience has shown that if the filter really gets dirty, it will let fine dust through.  If you keep the filter fairly clean it works fine or as well dino type.  In other words, the no toil can get overwhelmed when its really dirty and dino type will not let anything though and eventually plug up.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Well I cleaned both filters tonight using the mineral spirits / cold water rinse technique. I'm pretty impressed! It works much faster and better than the dishwashing soap method. About 2 minutes of rinsing in the mineral spirits, 2 minutes rinsing in the cold water, done.

Here's the WRR filter before / after. It was not very dirty, you can see the bottom of the filter was just starting to plug up with dirt. I don't like to run them after they're more than 1/3 plugged.

Here's the KTM filter. This was not very dirty either, probably 10 hours on it.

I like it! No more soap / water for me, unless I'm on a dual-sport trip. If you put grease on the filter lip like I do, the mineral spirits easily dissolves that as well.

sam i am

I've been using the No Toil system for a few years now and have been pretty happy.  They're easy to clean and IMO the oil seems to be some good stuff.  I do know that the oil is extremely sticky.  If you get any on yours hands, they'll be sticky for the rest of the day.  Soap and water won't get it off, but the No Toil detergent does the trick.  Hopefully with it being that sticky it does a good job of grabbing the dust!

Hank

I tried the mineral spirits tonight.  That works really well for cutting that sticky filter oil.   Thanks for the tip!!