News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Embarrassing to say....

Started by The Yeti, May 09, 2013, 04:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

...but I don't work on my bikes. Never have. Never been good with a wrench. I just take 'em to the shop (and pay way too much) when they don't work. I know...I suck.

Anyways, my WRR is in need of some serious lovin'. She wasn't rode once last season, except for when Great Buffalo tried to and she just up and quit on him.  :P Not sure if it's the fuel pump (notoriously bad on the WRRs) or just the battery, she cranks but won't start. To be completely honest, I haven't even uncovered her since GB brought her back.  :-[

First of all - what should I do to try and diagnose the no starting issue, and Second, what should I do/check since she's been sitting (outside but covered) for almost a year and a half?

Once I get it back up and running, I'm considering selling her....but that may change after I get a ride or two under my belt.  ;)

Thanks guys!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Lonesome Dave

Alright buddy, you were nice enough to give me that helmet last year, I'll will help and/or fix your bike.  I'm certain its the fuel pump, mine went bad too.  I still have a used one that Bogus Jim lent/gave me last year installed and is working fine right now.  I've been going to buy a new one just to have it when the used one goes.  (Bogus removed it from his bike when he was having starting problems, but seems to work for right now.)  Either way, we can diagnose it with the used one.  Word of warning, the pump is around $275 bucks.  Get it out to my house and we'll go from there.  Give me a call.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

Thanks for the offer Dave, you da man!!

I'll let you know when I get some time to drag it out there. And, yes, I'm well aware what those things cost.  >:(

Lonesome Dave

Hey, maybe you can come to breakfast on Saturday?

You know, if we keep posting back and forth, you'll be able to catch Hank on posts and I'll keep trying to catch up with Great Buffalo.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Osnabrock

It could just be  a gummed up fuel system.  I'd suggest a simple cleaning of the carb, if its not a FI bike of course, first.  My KLR sat most of last year without much seat time and isn't starting right.  I drained the float bowl last night and it was a pretty thick mixture that came out. 
Start simple (and inexpensive).
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

It is a FI bike.

I'm gonna guess its the fuel pump. The WRR is notorious for this I found out after my issues with that bike last year. The bike was shut off but wouldn't restart. As per the fuel pump issues with these bike, after over an hour, it restarted. My guy here that owns the Yamaha shop said these will do this once, twice, three times or even much longer, but after the problem starts, there will come a day when it just won't start.

What a great offer to help from Crash, I mean.... Dave. That's what makes a great community. I just wish I were closer and would lend a wrenching hand as well.

Even though this bike was run for just a few hours last year after the oil was changed, All the fluids should be changed and the cooling system flushed.

Yeti, If it does come to point where you do sell, please let me know and have first crack at it. It would all deoend on where I'm at financially at the time, but I'd like to first dibs.

That being said, I'd hate to see you give up on trail riding, its the thing that keeps me from growing up. It doesn't keep me from getting hurt as many of us can attest, right Yeti...., Dave..., but it does keep us thinking young.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

Thanks for the replies guys!

When I got home last night, I uncovered the WRR and turned the key - I was surprised to see the gauges light up! Hit the starter and BAM, started right up!! I was grinning ear to ear!

Then I shut her down and turned the key again - no hum from the fuel pump at all. :(

Would not start again after that - definitely the fuel pump. Where do I order a new one? Is there an aftermarket solution that would maybe last longer?? Gonna go ask in the WRR Mega Thread over on ADV right now.

The Yeti

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on May 09, 2013, 06:13:59 PM
Hey, maybe you can come to breakfast on Saturday?

You know, if we keep posting back and forth, you'll be able to catch Hank on posts and I'll keep trying to catch up with Great Buffalo.

Not this Saturday. I'll give you a call after I get a new pump. PM me your number....I know I have it around here somewhere but that's just easier. :)

Bogus Jim

Quote from: The Yeti on May 10, 2013, 10:32:08 AM
Would not start again after that - definitely the fuel pump. Where do I order a new one? Is there an aftermarket solution that would maybe last longer?? Gonna go ask in the WRR Mega Thread over on ADV right now.

The 2013 WRR's have a new part number on the fuel pump. I'm hoping that means that Yamaha finally fixed the issue, but nobody seems to know. The old pumps are not sold anymore so if you order one, you will get the new part number.

Service Honda, Cycle Parts Warehouse, Rocky Mountain ATV would all have the pump. Rocky Mountain is a bit higher $ but with free shipping, might come out the same and will get here in 2-3 days.

Bogus Jim

Whoa! Just checked Rocky Mountain, they want $323. Don't buy it there.

The Yeti

Someone on ADV said to try cranking the throttle all the way open and then hit start. Worked for BigDog and some others I guess. Gonna give it a shot tonight. Not sure what this is supposed to accomplish, but I got nothing to lose.

Thanks for tips GB!

greatbuffalo

My Yamaha guy says they have changed to pump. Is it for the better? That remains to be seen.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?