News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

So who's had a Honda?

Started by Hank, October 08, 2008, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Psyko

Every once in awhile I really want a hyabusa really bad. I think though at 52, my survival instinct is beginning to kick in. Another Ducati will probably happen, I have a real weakness for the 1990's 900's, paticularily the yellow ultralight. Cycle World Bike show this weekend here in Mpls.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Tailgunner

I just bought a 2004 CRF230F and rode it this weekend. What a great bike it is the near perfect for the old, low and slow riders like me.
Wait it's me that is old and slow, the bike is plain simple and fun. Kinda like a very good play bike. Really good in tight bush trails good suspension for moderate conditions. The low part is great for those of us who are vertically challenged because most dual sports I'm on tip toes which means a slight hill or small hole under foot and over we go. Motocross and competitive bikes I can't even get on in the showroom little lone on a hill.  This kinda bike is why I started riding in the first place,let's you just tear around for the fun of it.
Gravity is my lest favourite natural force.
Tailgunner
KLX250S
DR250
CRF230F 

plumber mike

I know I'm thread dredging but I've gotten some more Honda's

I'll keep it short since my boy spilled water on the computer and I'm typing on a virtual keyboard.

To start my 2 wheeled passion- A 1970 Mini Trail 50. I delivered newspapers on it 8)
some non-honda's
A 1985 Atc 200
some non-honda atv's
A few honda cars
A 1986 XR200
...but in the last few months I've picked up 3 non-running Honda's
A 1975 XL250....running now...my main scoot while other brand awaits repair.
A 1981 XR200..given to me.maybe it will get some love this winter
A 1975 CB400/4 Supersport....given to me.Fixin it.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705375

love the honda's
;D

loingrader

i love old bikes, especially hondas.

if those carbs give you trouble when you get it road worthy (stalling, hesitating, coughing, etc), i've got some tips.

buy a can of carb dip from napa or your auto parts place of choice.  remove all plastic and rubber off the carbs and soak them.  remove and hit every nook cranny and passage with compressed air.  then boil the carbs in distilled water for 20 minutes or so, remove and hit with compressed air again.

this is the only thing that would get the carbs on my old 83 silverwing working like new.  i bet i pulled those carbs off a dozen times before i finally got all the crap out of them.

i don't envy you with 4 carbs to mess with and sync, but it will run awesome when done and that header is a work of art.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

Thanks Bret

I'm waiting on new tires before I know how it will pull under load.
I've never used a syncing tool.Might need to get one.

I had good results with vinegar in the tank so I used it to soak the carbs.It works very quickly on aluminum.Something less aggressive might've been better.

We shall see.I'm excited.

....off to polish that header ;D

jacin theis

Pictures??    its even too hot to work in the garge.....   
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

I have a pretty cheap gauge type syncing tool that works well.  I synced both the 83 interceptors I (temporarily) had this spring and my blackbird and my bro-in-law's blackbird this spring.   It's really easy.
If you don't want to buy one, I'd send you mine, although I think I only paid around 50 bucks so it might be a worthy investment.

I just read your ADV 400 thread, looks like a real find!

Lawritz Mann

Speaking of old Hondas...I have a 1980 CM200T Twinstar and when it runs, it runs like crap. I have narrowed it down to the coil, which fires on the left cylinder, and once in a while on the right cylinder. I want to change the coil, but this bike has a 6 volt system and I can't find a replacement. I am not a Honda guy, so if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

I am also wondering if anyone has experience in changing a 6 volt system over to 12 volts, with a new battery, coil, lights, but I don't know about the battery charging circuits.

Number Two

I had a '70 SL175 ALL style.

Have '01 XR650R  (suewweeeee pigpigpig pigee!)

loingrader

Quote from: plumber mike on July 17, 2011, 10:39:02 AM

a tool free way that i have used to get me close (enough for my taste) is to hold the carbs up to a bright light and adjust each one until you can just see the light come thru under the slide/butterfly at the exact same time as you open the throttle.

this works for a pharmacist but probably wouldn't work for an engineer (Hank)

might just work for a plumber  ;D
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

Quote from: loingrader on July 18, 2011, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: plumber mike on July 17, 2011, 10:39:02 AM

a tool free way that i have used to get me close (enough for my taste) is to hold the carbs up to a bright light and adjust each one until you can just see the light come thru under the slide/butterfly at the exact same time as you open the throttle.

this works for a pharmacist but probably wouldn't work for an engineer (Hank)

might just work for a plumber  ;D

I have a manometer for gas work...I just need to learn how to use it for this application.

First, the carbs need to come out (only 2nd time) for a boiling and an initial baseline setting. The bike is running now....but not well.

Wacked

Got thinking about my Honda's today as I'm tooling around Fargo on the Transalp.  Hadn't thought about it before this post. 

Starting at the top:
'74 - CB360 Sunburst Orange.  Dads.  He used to let me squirrel around the field across from our house when I was 13 or 14.  It was a clean bike and I never laid it down.  Dad had a matching orange metal flake helmet with a smoked full-face bubble shield.

'74 - CB750 Chocolate Turd Brown.  My first one.  Got it through a series of non-bike horse trades when I was 15.  Would fish-tail it down the gravel road in front of our house 85/90 with road tires.....   Stuuuuuupid.

'78/79 - XL 185S.  Got 2-3 in a pile that needed putting together and repair.  Was 18ish.  Sold blue one to a priest and a .....  had an altercation with a pedestrian on the white one.  Spent nervous afternoon at the CopShop.....

'83 XR500R. Honda Red.  This may have been my all time favorite.  Got it when I was 20.  Had it for 3 years.  Plated it.  Ran it in the winter.  Wiped it out hard one fall day and didn't ride again for many years.

'80 CT110.  Honda Red.  Bought it from my brother.  Maybe put 100 miles on it.  Didn't like riding it cause I felt like a GIRL....   sorry Joni

'89 Transalp XL600V.  White.  Current ride.  Bought it in my mid-40s.  Wanted one in college because I thought they were awesome; dealerships couldn't give them away back then even with 25-35 percent marked off.  Didn't matter because I didn't have the $$$.  It's V-Twin and I dig the sound.

Have had 3.5 non-Hondas but they don't count (besides, I've seen how you guys pick on the Shriner bikes!)

Brad

plumber mike

My Magna is really making me want a VFR ???

Can a Magna be made more Viffery, or is that just putting lipstick on a pig?

99 Magna. A good friend with bad wrists gave me this gem with only 10K on it :o I knew nothing of the Magna. I thought it was just another bloated metric cruiser.....but WOW!!! V4 power rocks!!!! I LOVE THIS ENGINE!!!!

....but I don't really love the cruiser riding position. I don't love the ultra low seat height, and I'm not very impressed with the handling.

I think I want a VFR, but I've got a Magna. Let's discuss the pro's and con's of each. I live on a dirt road about 5 miles from pavement. Will a VFR survive dirt roads regularly? The Magna is fine on the dirt. I was thinking of fabbing up a skidplate to protect the oil filter.

Does anyone really know the differences between these bikes? Steering geometry, etc? I think Hank is a V4 lover. Anyone else?

loingrader

anyone who likes vfr's will be in heaven on a blackbird.  they cost about the same.  while it is obviously not designed for it, a blackbird (or viffer, etc) will do fine on gravel.

check out the roads where fletch rode his cbr.

http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=620.0

Hank

Magnas are perfectly capable bikes and all, but yeah, you probably need a viffer if you're liking the V4.  I've owned my share of Honda V4's starting in about 87 or 88 with a 700 Sabre, then a 2nd Gen VFR, then a 4th Gen VFR, then recently a pair of 1st Gen VFRs (not technically a VFR, but a VF750F).    I've never had a Magna, but I've ridden nearly every size and iteration of them.   A VFR is a far better bike IMO, but then I like sport bikes / sport touring bikes and am not really into the whole cruiser thing.

Of all the bikes I've owned, my favorite two street bikes are my 94 VFR750 and my current 97 blackbird.   My buddy Paul, who I take most of my streetbike trips with, has a 6th gen VFR - the last 800cc version.  While its a nice bike, I think back to my 94 (the Gen 4) and think it was better.  More comfortable, and .. I don't know what.. but I have such fond memories of that bike.    Anything from 2nd gen on are really capable.  DON'T get a Gen 1.. good for nostalgia and not much else.

If I was looking for a Viffer though, I'd probably try to find a Gen 4.  I think that's 94 -97?   They can be had for maybe $2500.  Throw a good seat and some bags on it and you have a great high speed tourer.  

Like LG says though, a blackbird is like a VFR just bigger and better.  No lumpy/nifty V4.. but man what a bike.    My 97 will likely be for sale next spring as I just found an 03 (97 is the first year in the US, 03 is the last).   I don't actually HAVE the 03 yet as the shipping company has  been yanking my chain.  I'll post pics when I get it.

Edit:  ....and I've ridden about a bazillion miles of gravel on VFR's.   They'll do fine.