News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Hard vs Soft Panniers

Started by Black Hills Back Country, May 13, 2013, 10:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Hills Back Country

Ok... So i'm trying to decide between aluminum panniers and soft ones for my KLR.  I found a guy who makes aluminum ones for around $500 with the mounts.  They look like they are pretty well made and a lot less than the other guys. (www.facebook.com/gosolobox)  The other option would be a set of the soft-sided wolfman bags.  I'm a little nervous about getting a leg stuck between the aluminum ones and the ground in rougher terrain.  I'm sure you guys have had this conversation already but I thought I would ask. 

Thanks
Pat

Fletch

I prefer soft, a Giant Loop great Basin bag and some Kriega dry bags seem to work fine. Plus they are easy on/off with no mounting hardware.  just my preference..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

If I'm on a DRZ (or KLR etc) that probably means I'm planning a more offroad oriented trip and for that I'd prefer soft bags.   On a more road oriented trip and a bigger bike I'd prefer hard bags...

loingrader

If I'm planning on dumping the bike a lot or going thru lots of narrow single track I'd want soft.  For everything else I prefer hard bags.  Security, waterproof, burn proof, and hold a lot.  The only downsides on a KLR is if they nab your leg in a get off.  Extra weight and width are two downsides that are basically irrevelant on a KLR. 

search for mermite bag posts on advrider.  They plus a
Packrat touring rack is a cheap option for hard bags. 
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Bogus Jim

Dirt Bagz is another option for soft luggage. I think the Wolfman stuff might be a little tougher although I haven't used either one.   

http://www.dbzproducts.com/

I have the Giant Loop Coyote, good for smaller bikes and light packers. Detaches easy and you can throw it over your shoulder and just carry the whole thing into the motel when not camping. I suppose the bigger size Great Basin would be better for KLR.

greatbuffalo

I agree that soft bags are better if doing any offroad but make sure you have them well secured and I like to bungy them down so they're not flailing around too much. Be aware that if you have anything that can crushed in the bagthey need to be well protected. Food items and cans of drink as well as other stuff. There is the benefit of hard cases. There are plenty of narrow cases out there that would do well offroad and would protect your gear as well.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

I saw in Fleet Farm that they carry aluminum boxes for trucks etc, and they make a couple of sizes that could work for panniers. Diamond plate, shiny, but could be workable. 130.00 each if I recall. website Wellbuilt industries?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Dr Psyko

Dr Psyko

They call them Tool Towers... If I could do cut and paste here it would be fun but maybe it's work software stopping me...

Hank

loingrader

1+  they do look nice

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on May 14, 2013, 03:11:28 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Better+Built/169/68010172/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710727287&catargetid=1784164233&cadevice=c&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CImG6NOzlrcCFcXe4AodFSsATg

Maybe that will work.   The solo boxes above are really reasonable too at $340 for a pair of nice aluminum powder coated boxes.

Getting into ammo can territory  ;D

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Black Hills Back Country

Well, looks like I have some more research to do.  I really like the Mermite bags but they look like they may be hard to find without spending an arm and a leg.  I think I'm leaning toward a set of soft bags and the Wolfman Beta Duffle Bag.  Thanks for all the good insights!

greatbuffalo

I had ammo cans on my Yamaha XJ650 for years. Loved um. A little heavy, but rugged. I have some kicking around in my garage collecting dust. They have a few holes in them but easily plugged. Sorry this sounds like a "for sale" post. :-\
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?