News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Riding May 23, 24, 25, 26 & 27

Started by tannerc, May 17, 2013, 01:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

Going to be a few of us out in the hills next weekend to do some riding. Friday planned on doing combo single, ATV, UTV & forest roads up to Spearfish canyon (Explore), The single south east of Pactola on Saturday, UTV trails in the Deerfield area Sunday & possibility of Farmingdale early Monday. If anyone wants to join in let me know. We will be staying in the Sumerset/ Piedmont area and jummping on the trails at the Piedmont trail head and can meet up anywhere.
I am going to make up a few GPS tracks/routes that I can give to those that are interested.

CT
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

tannerc

Here is what I have so far.
Friday up to the canyon to old miner trail up to devils bathtub and the ghost town. Back down to Nemo the forest road way.
80-100 miles

Saturday the single south east of pactola, then johnson siding/silver city area till tired.
pactola sing tracks about 55 miles

Sunday Silver City to Deerfield area by forest roads/utv trails
80 + miles

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

tannerc

Friday Nemo to Old Miner and back GPX files

once up the trail google earth shows a spiderweb of trails to explore, havent been up there in a while and some of that area has been bought up and turned private.

tannerc

tannerc

Sunday  Silver City to Deerfield

The tracks used as a back way guide there and back another spider web of trails to explore west of Deerfield

greatbuffalo

Didn't know Devil's Bathtub was accessible by trail. I thought anything over the rim was off limits. Interesting.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

The tub is not on the trail. one of those were you have to walk down the hill side to get to, but better than walking the whole way up. Some of that area has been posted private but not sure how much, its been a few years since we jeeped it. I think there still is plenty to wander around on up there. Some friends said it is possible to get around the Wharf and get to some of the roads on the other side where the Preston ghost town is. exploration

tannerc

Also, the one off shoot on the old mine trail that leads down to the Cleopatra mine and boilers is probably private now too. The last time we were up there we couldnt find it and i was able to spot it on google earth so I threw is on the tracks for something look into.

greatbuffalo

Years ago, like 10 years, we were able to get around the Warf mine and down past where the hammermill was and the leaching pond. We then made our way down the hill and came out in the back yard of the house at the bridge you would start your walk up to Devil's Bathtub. Further investigation made me realize that we had done so "illegally" It was a great trip but haven't even attempted to go there again, the mine that is. The hill was very steep in places and the switchbacks required creative maneuvering and the "road" was washed out in many places. Every year it gets harder and harder to get to these places.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 21, 2013, 12:55:47 AM
We then made our way down the hill and came out in the back yard of the house at the bridge you would start your walk up to Devil's Bathtub. Further investigation made me realize that we had done so "illegally" It was a great trip but haven't even attempted to go there again, the mine that is. The hill was very steep in places and the switchbacks required creative maneuvering and the "road" was washed out in many places. Every year it gets harder and harder to get to these places.

Well I must confess, last summer Bogus Jim, Robmicgrn, and I headed out for Carbonate ghost town.  I had been in and around there the previous two weekends looking for it.  I had enough info by that time to know where to start on the Spearfish Canyon side.  Right where GB mentioned he came out.  We headed up the trail and yes it's rough.  I eventually stalled out (me and also the bike).  Later two guys finally come back for me!  "What are you doing?"  "Waiting for you, someone get down here and ride this damn thing up the hill."  I walked up to the top, got back on, and off we went.  (They stayed closer after that)

Back to the subject!  We had NO idea we were illegal, really.  But somehow curiosity and adventure got the best of us.  We explored all over looking for Carbonate.  We were there, we just didn't quite find everything we wanted to, like main street.
At one point in time, 1880s, 4000 people lived up there and the school was at the bottom of the hill where we went up.  Imagine walking to school everyday up and down that damn hill.  But, the big find of the day was the Carbonate Cemetery. 

We always kept moving, never staying too long in one place, not sure why!  :evil  Jim kept looking over his shoulder a lot, I didn't realize till later he wasn't looking for me!  Getting out of there is another story.  I said things like, "oh my god, I have to go down that."  Then shortly thereafter, "oh my god, I have to go up that."  And then when I got up that, a dog the size of an elk wanted to eat me for lunch.  But I could tell he wasn't committed, so I scared him enough to give him pause.  By that time, I knew where we were at,  from the previous weeks of exploring.  We left, right then, and for once they followed me!

It actually was a really fun adventure. 

Almost forgot, while crawling over a barbed fence after looking in a mine shaft, I started falling.  No, not the mine shaft, the fence, and my buddy Robert actually had to catch me.  It was a special moment, I think he said "dumb ass."

And, I must not forget the bull that charged me that morning on my way to meet the other guys for breakfast.  As I rolled up to a stop sign on fs201, apparently I surprised him or something.  Anyway, he reared up and took off straight at me (head down now).  I simply said, "WR don't fail me now."  I was turning away from the charging bull anyway, but didn't want to rev it too much and spin out ending up on my butt.   Like I said, it was a really fun day!

I'll post some pics later if I can find them.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Another simple, easy days ride turn into an adventure just because Lonesome joined the group. ;D :o

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 21, 2013, 02:24:14 PM
Another simple, easy days ride turn into an adventure just because Lonesome joined the group. ;D :o

Last time I rode with him we ended up at a winery surrounded by beautiful women! I have to hang out with him more often.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

That sounds like a great adventure.    I think we need to move out there so I can join you guys :)

I've never heard of Carbonate before.

Dratharr

Please count me in for the single track ride on Saturday! I am not sure if I will get there in time Friday

tannerc

Not much left of carbonate, you can still see where a few of the buildings were and such, a couple of graves and mining equipment.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hills-Ghost-Watson-Parker/dp/0804006385 good book on black hills ghost towns.
Down the road from carbonate is the Cleopatra mine, a couple of boilers, shaft house and a few other pieces of equipment remain.
kind of a neat place to visit before it went private.

Dratharr I have you in for Saturday, I will give you a call Friday evening, Or if you make it for Friday trip give me a ring I sent you my number.