Now we're gonna have to pay to Ride the Hills??

Started by The Yeti, October 16, 2008, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

$40 bucks a year won't break me, but kinda pisses me off. They're gonna take away most of our trails AND charge us to use what's left?! What's next   ???

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/10/16/news/local/doc48f56a0b9a3ef239347528.txt
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

i think most states already have policies like this in place.  it reads like it is for ohv only.  your bike is licensed and you pay fees when you get your plates every year.  i think that the fees will only be for non-licensed vehicles (dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, snow mobiles, etc.)

the nfs is caught in a bit of a bind.  they have to designate trails, mark them, maintain them and then enforce the travel, but in these days of $ trillions of national defecit, they aren't getting any where near the capital to do these things. 

the available trails in the hills is going to drastically be reduced because they won't all be designated as trails, but it could be a lot worse.  imagine the entire forest being closed to motorized travel.  it's happening to millions of acres of national forest, grassland, etc in some states.

i'm just glad i live in south dakota.  places like california, one can't even ride a dirt bike on their own private land if a neighbor can hear the engine and files a complaint.  no thanks. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I haven't read the article, but won't most of the trails we ride on still be open to licensed vehicles?

The Yeti

I did some reading and I think Brett is right, it's only non-licensed vehicles that will have to pay the fee.

Quotethe nfs is caught in a bit of a bind

Yeah, they have no choice in the matter, the fed gov made the decree, they just have to implement it in the best way possible.

Quotethe available trails in the hills is going to drastically be reduced

I took a look at their proposed map, and from what I can see, the majority of trails that we ride on (or would ride on) will still be open.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/recreation/travel_management/travel_management_maps.shtml

Quoteimagine the entire forest being closed to motorized travel

That would not be cool at all... :P
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

i don't know how many of you guys are AMA (american motorcycle association) members, but they keep me pretty informed about all of this type of political/government stuff affecting riders.  the paltry yearly membership fee is nothing compared to the great monthly magazine, discount at bikebandit.com, cheaper bike insurance, etc. 

i highly recommend AMA membership to anyone. 

plus they made me famous.   ;D

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Grandtour/06winners.asp
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Nice essay Bret.    Cyclone sounds like a good place to visit on a big DS bike.

Jared

Yeah Wyoming has this already.  Although it's not as big a deal since probably 90% of the roads in Bear Lodge are already non-motorized. :(