News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Proposed DDSR Summer Track

Started by Lonesome Dave, June 16, 2013, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Well I think its finished!  I hope.  I've been thinking about this route for awhile, Robmicgrn and I chased a lot of it down last weekend.  I did some more yesterday.  Problem was this damm GPS stuff.  My son, Chris, has been asking what I wanted for Father's Day.  Well I came up with this idea.  "Teach yourself how to use BaseCamp and then teach me."  It sorta worked, he knows how to use it and I'm learning.  But I now have a much better idea how to use it.

I need to check on a couple more things, but I just got LAID-OFF on Friday, and no longer have a job!!  I'm not doing anything until this week's over, soooo I do have a little extra time.  Also if you hear of any job openings.......well you get the idea.

The following is the proposed track.  Its about 135 miles total, with the last 15 to 20 miles of asphalt just getting back to camp, depending on what a person wants to do.  It will have gravel, two track, 2 miles of easy single track (with an alternate route).  We will go to or past Custer Peak, (up to the group) south towards Roubaix Lake, then to Experimental Forest/Minnesota Ridge.  Then to Rochford road, Cluder Gultch, Bogus Jim Lookout, Divide Road, & Castle Peak.  Start heading back northwest to Crooks Tower and then to Trails Head Lodge.  Northwest up Grand Canyon into Wyoming and other Canyons to Pole Cabin Glutch and up to Cement Ridge.  Back into SD and drop down into Savoy and towards Cheyenne Crossing, up to Terry Peak and across towards Hwy 385 and back to camp.  I figured it would be best to have the asphalt at the end, when your tired.  Trying to avoid any get-offs.  Its not hard core, but there are areas that are not a "cake walk" either.  There's one for sure Gas stop (Trails Head Lodge) at about 70 miles in.  The other is Cheyenne Crossing.  If you make it past Cheyenne Crossing, your close enough to walk back! 

Robert said he liked the route and doesn't think there's too much gravel or at least long lengths of gravel.  I'll let him comment if he wants.

Here's the gpx file.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Looks fun, will I be OK on the 990 or is the single track pretty tight?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Looks like a fun route Dave! Thanks for putting this together, I hope a couple more guys have some routes planned so you don't end up with 40 riders.

Not sure I deserve the BogusJim Lookout name, there were guys riding there long before I found it. Don told me that all used to be singletrack up there, until the ATV's "widened" it. But if the name sticks, OK with me.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fletch on June 16, 2013, 08:14:50 PM
Looks fun, will I be OK on the 990 or is the single track pretty tight?
If I was riding the 990, not sure.  With you riding it, no worries.  I've watched you go through a lot worse.  The single track is 8575 running along side of
204.2 002.  Robert said he's been through there before.  I was going to look at it before the weekend.  So if someone doesn't want to do that part, they can stay on the road and wait at the other end.  About 2 miles.  The terrain is just rolling hills with recent logging.

Hey Jim, we could call it "Bogus Lookout" then maybe no one would ever go there. 

Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Dave, sounds like a great ride. Lets hope there's no mud. Thanks for doing the recce.

Sorry to hear about the job. That sucks.

I'll give you a call in the next day or so.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Quote from: Bogus Jim on June 16, 2013, 08:48:59 PM
I hope a couple more guys have some routes planned so you don't end up with 40 riders.

I was looking at exploring down south to the Deerfield area and back up. I have only rode 2/3 of the track, the rest is going to be new to me. Total distance of 116 miles. 45 miles to first gas stop, and then 72 ish miles back to the fishnfry. will get a gpx up if someone is interested.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

Thanks for all the scouting!     We should keep the groups to 12 or less if possible.   Could stagger starts, run it backwards etc.   I'm sure plenty will go their own way too.

Sent from my mobile Commodore Pet

Hank

I might be able to put together a track from some of the past rallies too.   I'm in a bit of a time crunch though.   I just had to reformat my computer, so I'll need to reinstall everything, and my GPS dumped everything when I changed the batteries... so I have to start from scratch.

I'm also going to Mexico today for work today and won't be back until Wed night!  Bad timing.

I do have an inverter for my truck though, so maybe I can get Cara to drive and I'll work on something on the way out.

Hank

Has anyone tried to use this maploader.exe file (stelprdb5405836.exe) to put the travel maps on your gps?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5292977

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Hank on June 17, 2013, 10:08:53 AM
Has anyone tried to use this maploader.exe file (stelprdb5405836.exe) to put the travel maps on your gps?

I used it last year. I think I had to download a more recent version of the maploader.exe (it's open source) to get it to load OK on my GPS.

Robmicgrn

I like the idea of smaller groups. Staggered starts is a good idea too. It is a fun run, and the Wyoming side is really something to see. I don't think everyone that wants to go on that run needs to go at the same time. I am sure there will be plenty of GPS units that can download the GPS route LD set up and get to the interesting points. I tend to run a little fast, but I also like to stop and explore. Others may just want to just leisurely cruise the entire time. The trick may be just getting like minded riders together, stagger the groups and see what happens.  However, it does put a smile on my face to see 30 or so dual sport bikes pull into the same place at the same time.......  ;D
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Lonesome Dave

I spoke with the Trails Head Lodge yesterday about gas and food.  They will have both, but she told me she's working alone on both Friday and Sat.  this week.
She was willing to bring in another helper for lunch or make box lunches.  I told her this group was like herding a bunch of cats.  Not easy!  I wasn't sure how many or when the group/s would be arriving.  I'm willing to set something up, but I honestly don't have any ideas what to tell her.  She did say the only problem will be slower food service if shes the only one there. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !