News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Follow up

Started by Hank, June 24, 2013, 07:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Well, as always it was a blast.   It was nice to see everyone again.    Didn't see much of some of you, but the rain played a role in that!  Seems like Great Buffalo (and crew) and Cara and I barely crossed paths.

The Sunday morning ride was perfect.. too bad we didn't see more weather like that, although the riding was fun while it lasted the other days too.

I was grateful we had a dry place to sleep.  Hope all you tenters have got your stuff dried out  >:(

Post up your good videos and pictures!

Osnabrock and I did the power line hill above Whistler's Gulch as our last ride.    I have a clip of it here.    I called it "the killer hill" tongue in cheek, as it used to strike fear into the hearts of Yeti and I when we were riding our 950s on the stock Scorpion tires.    It's just plain fun and easy on a more appropriate bike.   Likewise with Camp 5.  That was a lot of fun.

Stevsie

LOL i ate it pretty hard coming down that like a couple weeks ago. I hope that was sped up a lil bit haha Or your just crazy

rokklym

Nice meeting you Hank! I wish we could have gotten a chance to ride more in the hills on this trip but it just wasn't in the cards!

Hank

Quote from: Stevsie on June 24, 2013, 09:20:31 AM
LOL i ate it pretty hard coming down that like a couple weeks ago. I hope that was sped up a lil bit haha Or your just crazy

I think the fish eye effect of the cameras always make it look faster.   I crept down it at idle in 1st and came back up at a good clip in 2nd....   I wouldn't want to go down it any faster!

Quote from: rokklym on June 24, 2013, 09:53:55 AM
Nice meeting you Hank! I wish we could have gotten a chance to ride more in the hills on this trip but it just wasn't in the cards!

Nice meeting you too.   Sorry to hear about all your troubles.  I hope the BMW guy heals up fast.

greatbuffalo

It was a good time hanging out with, and riding with my family and some new folks from Minnesota. Was very impressed with the KLR hack and the places he put it. Unfortunately he bent the frame a bit.

Would have been nice to ride some more technical stuff with all my old friends but introducing family and new friends to offroading can be a delicate task. Don't want to overwhelm them their first time out. We stayed close to camp and that was a wise decision with the weather the way it was.

As I type, I am stuck here in the hills with a broken Xterra. Hoping to get it fixed before the weekend but who knows.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

Where's the pics people?!!

The least you can do is let me live vicariously through your adventures...geez.  :-[  :)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on June 24, 2013, 07:27:09 AM
Well, as always it was a blast.   It was nice to see everyone again.    Didn't see much of some of you, but the rain played a role in that!  Seems like Great Buffalo (and crew) and Cara and I barely crossed paths.

The Sunday morning ride was perfect.. too bad we didn't see more weather like that, although the riding was fun while it lasted the other days too.

I was grateful we had a dry place to sleep.  Hope all you tenters have got your stuff dried out  >:(

Post up your good videos and pictures!

Osnabrock and I did the power line hill above Whistler's Gulch as our last ride.    I have a clip of it here.    I called it "the killer hill" tongue in cheek, as it used to strike fear into the hearts of Yeti and I when we were riding our 950s on the stock Scorpion tires.    It's just plain fun and easy on a more appropriate bike.   Likewise with Camp 5.  That was a lot of fun.

You made that look too easy, Hank. I was seriously terrified the first time I attempted to go down that hill on the 950 - thank god Brian could ride her down, cause I was just gonna leave her there and walk home.  8)

I do think that I would be a little better now-a-days though, that was my first year of dual-sporting after all. Would definitely be a piece-o-cake on the WRR.

ORedenbacher

Rolling out of Camp 5.

Cool down.

Bogus Jim lookout.

woodsrider 53 RCSD

This was my first rally, I really enjoyed meeting everyone. What a group of friendly people. The rides were excellent. I am looking forward to attending more rallys. Top notch good time. Thanks 

Hank

Quote from: The Yeti on June 25, 2013, 06:08:57 PM
You made that look too easy, Hank. I was seriously terrified the first time I attempted to go down that hill on the 950 - thank god Brian could ride her down, cause I was just gonna leave her there and walk home.  8)

I do think that I would be a little better now-a-days though, that was my first year of dual-sporting after all. Would definitely be a piece-o-cake on the WRR.

LOL I know the feeling.  I don't know what was worse, Camp 5 or that hill on the 950.  Both were a thrill but the best part was seeing the end.   We were both rookies that year, and I don't think the 950 or the Scorpions were the best choice for our experience levels or the places we chose to ride them.    We made it though!   

I figured ah, I've been riding street bikes for 25 years and have all this dirt bike experience, I can handle this!   I learned that riding around on the farm (15 or 20 years prior) on a clapped out 70's KE175 doesn't count :)  Oh wait I had a KDX200 on the farm too  :o

Lonesome Dave

Here's a few photos.  Apparently I wasn't in the picture taking mood this weekend.  I didn't take very many.  But then I was leading and getting lost at the same time!  Both Friday and Saturday we managed to avoid the hail and still ride.  Although Saturday afternoon, the rain did catch up with us.  Once again I had a great time, seeing old friends and always meeting new ones.  LD

Friday morning.

Friday morning first break after the single track.

Friday afternoon, single track, getting foggy and going to rain soon.

Saturday morning, 1st stop, Cement Ridge

Saturday, somewhere in WY fixing Ryan's flat tire.  Notice all these slow riders helping Ryan, all of his fast buddies left him!

Still fixing the flat.

Grubbie having fun!!

Wacked, always doing the photo op.

Sunday, Camp 5, checking his line.

Running the line.  And yes, that's a 650 "Trials" bike.

Just one more boulder....

Camp 5 over...I made it.

Butcher Gulch, headed back down into Galena, Sunday.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

ryani

Oh yes the flat tire!   I had a great time riding with you guys for the first time!  I do have give it up to the pit crew. Many tools at the ready and some comments too.  HAHA!  Thanks to all that helped me get the old KLX on the trail again.  Fun times for sure.  Can't wait to go again.

If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

The Yeti

Who IS this guy? And, what...Camp 5 "regular" wasn't tough enough?!  :)

Thanks for the pics guys, makes me feel bad I wasn't there. Keep 'em coming!

And where's all the video? I know there are more than a few of you with helmet cams now.

Fletch

and to think I was watching softball all weekend and missed the fun ::)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Dr Psyko

An official Thank You to Lonesome Dave, scouting the ride, cheering us along, posting the pictures, really appreciate the efforts!!!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.