News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Paul Bunyan NF, Akeley

Started by grubbie, June 25, 2013, 09:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

Taking off Saturday for Mentor, MN. This is about 100 miles from the Akeley area. I was thinking on scooting down there and riding for a day, spending the night (motel), then riding back to Mentor the next day. Is the Martineau trail system what I should be looking at, or is there more to the area? I know Hank and Cara, and TannerC and Andrea have been there, any info is appreciated!

Hank

Yep, that's the place.  Just head a couple miles north of Akeley and look for the sign for the Stompin' Grounds   Stop in there for a good drink or some good chow, and say hi to Steve (he's a riot).    You can park your rig there and head right out from there.  The trails meet up with the campground driveway.

bikergirl4ever

We live about 10 miles from the Stomping Grounds. I doubt Lance will be riding much this weekend (sheetrocking) but maybe we can meet for a drink on Sat evening. 
Live, Laugh, Love

grubbie

Is there a decent motel to stay at in Akeley or do I need to look elsewhere?

Hank

Hopefully Sheri or Lance will chime in.  I have no clue.
I know Park Rapids isn't too far away and it has plenty of choices.

bikergirl4ever

No motel in Akeley, but there are plenty in Walker or Park Rapids.
Live, Laugh, Love

Hank

grubbie

Wish I had more than one day to spend there! Great single track and lots of it. Saw a bit of everything from sand, to rocks, log hops, mud,..... I want to go back tomorrow but can't. Got myself into a couple situations I wasn't sure how to get through, but made it. Not a lot of options for going around obstacles here, so unless you carry a chain saw, you will have to figure it out. It is a little un-nerving, riding this stuff by yourself with no backup, but for me it added to the excitement. Trails were tight, rutted, and slick. For the single track that I rode, I only needed one gear, and that was first. Myself, and my bike, took a beating, and we both wanted more after returning to camp. Maybe it won't be so challenging for others, but it was for me, and it was great! BTW, don't eat the steak sandwich at Stompin Grounds.......go with the burger.

Hank

Sounds about right.   We always have a TON of fun riding there, and I'm looking forward to Friday to do it again.  I hope its not 90 degrees though.   Like you said a lot of the ST is pretty tight, and there are some really long sections (over 10 miles in places I think) and that gets to be a workout in the heat.

I've yet to have a bad meal at the Stompin Grounds.    But I'll avoid the steak sandwich at your advice!