News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trail Tech Vapor

Started by Akunin, July 13, 2013, 12:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akunin

Hi all, new member... longtime reader.

A project of mine has brought me out of the shadows to ask those wiser and more world traveled about this little device.

My project is my XR650R. I'm going to dual sport it and one of the first goodies I picked up was the Vapor by Trail Tech. I've run into a few bumps here and there and one of them is quite simply "where the hell does this wire go?". More specifically I believe I got sent the wrong wire for my set up.

Trail Tech is closed on weekends but do any of you have experience with their product? I'm trying to power the device with the stock XRR power (ac or dc doesn't matter) but the thing is the set up they sent is just one wire.. no ground. ?? Huh? Am I missing something? If you know more about these little guys than I do (and Google isn't helping much here) please let me know!

Thanks!

loingrader

http://www.trailtech.net/instructions.html

I think your kit must be missing something.  And welcome!

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I've installed a couple of them now and its always been pretty painless.   Are you saying your power lead only has one wire?  Pretty sure the drz and wr kits I installed had 2, but maybe ground on yours is supplied through the temp sensor if it screws into the rad?   Just a wild guess.

And welcome!!

Sent from my mobile Commodore Pet

Akunin

Thanks for the welcome  ;D

The only ground I've got is the one that I have for the tach, which I'm told looks identical to the permanent power hook up so I was sent the wrong wire in the kit. Thing is, I can't find that wire anywhere on their website. I'm thinking I'm going to try to wire in a ground and see if it will do the job.

Lots to do with it! Tapping the thermostat housing on the bike so I can put in the temp sensor and drill another hole so I can get my speedo hooked up. Then its just a waiting game to get my Baja Designs kit! Just hope to get it all done before the snow flies.

Thanks again for the welcome!

greatbuffalo

First off, welcome to the group. Please , between projects, head over to the forum area that says "Ne Member Introductions"

Tell us a little about yourself, where you are, current bike and riding experience. Its nice to know who else is here and once we get to know you a bit better, we can answer your questions a bit more appropriately. If your real comfortable with a wrench, the answer to a question may be a bit different than if you are a complete novice. 

There are a great bunch of men and woman around here that have so much experience and knowledge.

I am not one of those folks and can not be of much help to you at this time. One thing that may help is to know the kit number. Looking at their site they show kit specific instruction sheets. I would look through there to see if its any help. I also found this little write up on ehow:   http://www.ehow.com/how_7616697_install-trail-tech-vapor-speedometer.html       Not sure if that will be any help either.

Hopefully someone smarter that me will see your question and respond with the answer to your problems.

I welcome you again and hope we see you out at one of the rallies.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Akunin

Looks like I overlooked the "New Member Introductions", I'm headed over there right away! Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the link, I had seen that one before but alas it is pretty vague and only gives an overview at best. When I first saw it I was relieved and as a result spent more time trying to figure out the "one wire" but couldn't get it to work, a ground is needed. Trail Tech opens tomorrow and I'll get what I need, was just hoping to ride more this weekend!  ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Akunin

Just got off the phone with Trail Tech and lucky me, looks like I've got a newer Vapor. A lot of the Vapors are now coming with a one wire Tach hookup instead of the including the ground (changed this in the last month). They said the way the system was it didn't need it when the power supply was included and was grounded. Of course if folks just want to run the system off internal battery the dual wire can be used as the tach and ground connection.

I had to make sure but now.. I'm off to the shed to get my piggy wired up! :)

greatbuffalo

Glad you got it figured out.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Akunin

Almost done! I only have the brake switch to pick up on Monday and off to get plated! Shame I'll miss a few of you coming to Custer this weekend by just a few days

Everything that came behind the number plate will be tucked away under the seat this winter when I do my maintenance, at least this way I get on the road, but that horn has to get moved! Tomorrows lil' project..