News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Grand Canyon / Utah trip

Started by The Yeti, August 13, 2013, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon next year in the RV, towing the 1200GS. I'm thinking of taking off a week to 10 days, spending maybe 2 days at the Grand Canyon. I'd like to go through Utah and check out Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, etc. with a day or two in each place.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we shouldn't miss and some good 2-up, GS friendly trails we can ride? What time of year would be best to go?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

Have you seen the Butler maps? I have not, but it might be worth checking out... they have one for Utah.

http://www.butlermaps.com/

Fletch

this is a great road, from the entrance to the N. side of canyon lands back to Moab. I will get you better info.

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Bogus Jim on August 13, 2013, 01:56:51 PM
Have you seen the Butler maps? 

That's what wee used at Yellowstone and Tetons a few weeks ago.  They show different roads or sections of road that most motorcyclists would enjoy for curvys or scenery or both.  They have several road ratings, but all were asphalt, not sure if they list gravel or dirt.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

I'd never heard of Butler Maps - great resource, thanks!

ORedenbacher

We took a family trip to AZ & visited the south rim either in March or April around 4 years ago.  It was sweatshirt weather.  We were able to get a spot at all the scenic parking areas we wanted to.  I've heard in peak season that it's challenging to find any places to stop & check out the view.

The Yeti

Yeah, I'm defintiely thinking it would be best to go while school is in session. :)

Would you say that 2 days is enough for the canyon itself? Keep in mind, we are not hikers by any stretch (I've got feet issues). We like to ride around and look at stuff.  ;)

ORedenbacher

After looking through my files, we went early in March - 2008.  We only drove around the south rim and stopped at several scenic overlooks.  It was just a day trip up from Phoenix but it was enough for us with two kiddos.  If I were taking this trip again, I'd plan on a day or two...and bring the good camera setup!  :-)