News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

UT single track.

Started by YOURDRUNKDAD, August 10, 2013, 11:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YOURDRUNKDAD

Just got back from Utah picking up my kids from their moms and my wife's from their dad's.  Any way I hauled the Dr. there so I could ride with my buddy Dave.  First day there was just some dirt roads up a canyon over a mountain and down another canyon. Bountiful TO Farmington.   A couple days later we headed up Ogden canyon for more of the same. Half way up the canyon Dave pulls over and says "I've got a crazy idea". "I know of a crazy single track that no one has taken a full size bike over, do you want to do it? "You see he had just purchased a Tiger 995i and for the late 5 yeas has ridden only his KLR on all of the northern Utah trails.   Sure I said. Kinda skeptical because the last single track I was on was when I had a KLX 650 that I converted.  That thing HATED going slow. Took us many hours to go 4 miles. I was so wor out by then end of that 4 miles that I aid to hell with the clutch and only used it when starting out. So up to Pineview we go, take a left over the Dan and go about a mile.  We turn off and stop." there it is" he said. I looked at the beginning and immediately thought here I go AGAIN. Did not look inticing.  After Dave telling me again how he was sure no one had taken a full size bike over the trail and how he was sure he would need help on the down side because of the very loose rock steep hills well mountain side we would be going down.  Off we go.  It started as some steep steep side hills with lots of switch backs, loose logs and soft dirt. Let me tell you, already at this point my confidence level had risen exponentially.  The Dr.  made this so freaking easy with its low end and ease of riding.
  Then we get to some REALLY STEEP up hill big rocky sections. I wish I would have taken more photos of it but was getting dark so we decided to hurry and snap when we could.  Here is a not so bad section.
I have a small video of Dave coming up one good section please do t mind his words used. He didn't have a skid plate on yet and hit his exhaust pretty hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzQkZTfekU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I hope that link works.
Here are a few more pictures I took.

This is the top, obviously. I let him get way ahead so I could open the Dr. up since he had done so well coming up the trail.

On the way down and the last picture I took.

From there it was as going for about a mile. Then the ridiculous down hill he talked about came.  He was not joking about steep and slippery.  But again the Dr made it easy.  He had to get off of his pig a few times to help it down or around some switch backs.  Honestly I was wishing at this point he had the KLR because he was going really slow.  And that is not how we ride.   But again it was a new bike for him and he did a dam good job on the trail with it. After the steep stuff the trail wound through some very close quarters with bushes on both sides. This area was beautiful from what I could see with my headlight. 

We made it up over and down without any kind of real incident.  I can't tell you how much I love the Dr.  That bike has opened up a lot of new things for me that used to suck on the KLX.  O have been watching a lot of single track you tube videos of here in the black hills and am hoping I am just missing something. They don't look to tough.   I hope I am wrong and am willing to be shown some good ones because I am now hooked.

Side note : I had to post this with my phone as the laptop is broken and being repaired. Please excuse any typos or anything else of that nature.   And excuse the photos, they were taken with my phone.
Also July 18th a buddy of mine from Ut and I are doing the CO and UT BDR's. If your interested in going let me know.

Hank

That looks like a whole lot of fun!!!

I think you'll find enough challenges in the Black Hills too..  There is some good stuff out there.

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Looks like you had fun on that trip and a good trip report to. THANKS

YOURDRUNKDAD

Its looking like 8257 is a good single track.  Who would go with me on Saturday.  I may have my son who is new to riding so we may go at a decent pace.
Also July 18th a buddy of mine from Ut and I are doing the CO and UT BDR's. If your interested in going let me know.

woodsrider 53 RCSD

You might try 6713 I rode some of it Sunday seemed like a good trail to me . stated that I rode that trail before but discovered I was on the wrong trail. I think you will like it .