News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Up here all week

Started by Dratharr, August 28, 2013, 08:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dratharr

Hi Everyone,
I am up here all week, camping in Custer and plan on riding most every day. If anyone is planning a ride and doesn't mind someone tagging along I would love to go. I have my 2-stroke with me as well as my plated bike so I am up for most anything. I am going to ride the single track up near Pilot Knob/Nemo today, and plan on riding the new trails south of the lake tomorrow. I didn't hit all those last time I was up here and want to check them out! I have at least one ride planned with Robert on Saturday, but other than that I am always looking for someone to show me around.

Thanks,
Matt

Lonesome Dave

Its tempting to try and ride that damn "Custer Loop" again.  See if we can make it in a day.  I think most would like this ride at the fall rally.  You just have to get to Custer to start.  :-\  No commitments for me yet.  Grand kids are going camping.  Not sure where that will lead me.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dratharr

Sounds good keep me posted, I rode some really nice single track today, and got kind of lost north and west of Johnsons Siding, there are some gnarly trails up there! That little sign with the Jeep with the red rocks below it means business!

That darn rock ledge coming up 6339 got the best of me again, last year I broke my finger on that damn rock!

Fun stuff for sure!

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Dratharr on August 28, 2013, 10:06:36 PM
That darn rock ledge coming up 6339 got the best of me again, last year I broke my finger on that damn rock!

That spot is tricky! I couldn't make it the first time I tried, now I usually can.

Dr Psyko

LD,

I've got a good idea!  Organize lots of riding friends with loud dirt bikes and visit the campground where the grandkids are camping!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Dratharr

I just need to commit to that section, it has me psyched out now, the right side between the two rocks dented my pipe on my 2 stroke a few years back so I always try to go left now. Last year I rode it first time out with my Husky before I installed full wrap hand guards on it, and went down against the rock. Now I try to pussyfoot up it and I always loose all my momentum prior to hitting the rocks! I think I am going to head in to Rapid today and do Story Land park, and Ole'McDonald with my daughter, and then maybe hit some of the single track north of Sheridan lake this evening.
    I havent been up here since the 4th of July it has really dried up since then, but judging from some of the wash outs there must have been some torrential rain between now and then.

The Yeti

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on August 28, 2013, 08:24:26 PM
Its tempting to try and ride that damn "Custer Loop" again.  See if we can make it in a day.  I think most would like this ride at the fall rally.  You just have to get to Custer to start.  :-\  No commitments for me yet.  Grand kids are going camping.  Not sure where that will lead me.

Since nothing is written in stone yet, should we try to find a campsite for the fall rally near Custer?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

greatbuffalo

No complaints from me. I think that may be a good idea. That area from Custer to Hot Spring have always interested me since doing some archaeological surveys in the area years back.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

chris_king

Quote from: Bogus Jim on August 28, 2013, 11:59:18 PM
Quote from: Dratharr on August 28, 2013, 10:06:36 PM

That spot is tricky! I couldn't make it the first time I tried, now I usually can.

Are you talking about the big rocks that site right next to that farm fence at the east side of the trail?  I cant image how hard that would be on a big adv bike, it psyched me out a bit on a dirt bike.  Once I got over it though I thought it was a pretty fun little feature, I'm glad they didnt reroute around that.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: chris_king on September 10, 2013, 01:43:10 PM
Are you talking about the big rocks that site right next to that farm fence at the east side of the trail?  I cant image how hard that would be on a big adv bike, it psyched me out a bit on a dirt bike.  Once I got over it though I thought it was a pretty fun little feature, I'm glad they didnt reroute around that.

Nope, it's on the west side of 6339. It's on a steep section of trail... if I remember right, 6339 is not all that difficult except for this one section.

Dratharr

I think it is closer to the end of the trail, but it is a really steep rock face, you can go to the right between the two rocks but you will probably drag your cases/pipe, or to the left which is probably the best choice. Or if you are go right up the middle but it is near vertical at the top. If you stall it is definitely too steep to hold your bike upright. It is the only piece of that trail that is even remotely difficult so I think we are all talking about the same section. I didn't used to think about it a few years ago, but I busted my finger on it last year so now it has me psyched! So many good trails, and unlike the last few years, they are really well marked with red tape this year. I don't know who is doing all the work, but I would like to buy that person/persons a beer next time I see them. Have you guys ridden  8575? That is just the nicest piece of smooth flowing single track I have ridden in a long time. I also really like 6710, 6712 I rode those 4 times in two days! I really need to get some time off so I can get back up there.

chris_king

I could have sworn I did that trail about 3 weeks ago, but I dont recall anything like that.  The spot I was talking about is on the south east side of 6310 which is about a half a click north of 6339.  I might go check out 6339 this afternoon and see what its all about.  I know they re-routed some tougher sections in the trail system just east of that.  6608 had a steep section of talcum powder dirt that was about 40-50 long that is now gone in the last week or so replaced with a much easier section.  I wouldnt be surprised if they made that spot on 6339 easier too.  But then again that trail system is known for being exceptionally difficult so maybe not.  They also added a very hard new section to 6660 in the last two weeks that I havent had the balls to try out yet.  Thats about a mile east of 6339.

I havent tried 8575 but it looks nice and long, could be exhausting.  I'll ask around and see if it has some tough spots in it.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: chris_king
I havent tried 8575 but it looks nice and long, could be exhausting.

It's easy, if not for some tight trees you could probably get your GS through it.

Quote6608 had a steep section of talcum powder dirt that was about 40-50 long that is now gone in the last week or so replaced with a much easier section.

That sucks, it was the only challenging section. I suppose they did it to control erosion. There used to be a longer hill climb on 6608, that was re-routed to switchbacks this summer.

QuoteThey also added a very hard new section to 6660

Where's the new section? 6606 was added this summer, it goes up to Norris Peak, I haven't seen anything else new but then I've not been back there in 6-8 weeks.

chris_king

I'll be honest, I can't recall from looking at my map where the new part is exactly.  I know its on the northern side of 6660. 

This sunday we started at the trailhead on the Nemo road side and then took the first right and then left on 6609.  That trail ends, as you probably know, but you can cut through the woods and meet up with the other end of 6607.  We took that to rd173 took a right and then took a left on 6660, which is probably my favorite single track section.  This is where I get fuzzy and the MVUM map doesnt help much, but we took 6660 all the way past 6605.  On the MVUM map it shows 6660 doing a loop with cut over by 6603, but that isnt up to date any more and is where the new stuff is.  What I was told was that they marked this new section off with high difficulty.  Guys with 10+ years more experience than me were having difficulty with it so I opted out of even trying it.  So it lives up to the devilish 666 hype. 

If I was out riding I could probably find it but right now I'm sitting in front of my workstation and I cant make heads or tails of the map.

Where does 6606 hit Norris Peak?  I was using a pretty gnarly unmarked trail between rd 173 and 166.1c to cut over to the other section.  I'd rather avoid doing that again.  Ironically that unmarked trail has a cross bones and a spinal cord nailed to a tree to warn people of its difficulty.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: chris_king on September 11, 2013, 12:43:33 PM
If I was out riding I could probably find it

OK, thanks. It sounds like that's a new section of singletrack. I have ridden the loop at north end of 6660 and although a bit steep I would consider it intermediate at best, not as hard as your description.

6606 dead ends at a cliff, near the Norris Peak lookout tower. Doesn't actually cross the highway. Really nice view on top, definitely ride it if you haven't already.

I rode the 166.1c shortcut with Fletch once, I think the shortcut is harder than the singletrack!  ;D

The trail with the bones that you saw, is part of the Bone Collector trail. If you turn south at the gate instead of west, you'll see a mountain bike singletrack. The gnarly trail that goes west to 166, I'm pretty sure is going to be legal for motorcycles but not marked yet.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mountain-bike-trails-of-the-black-hills-part-i-the-bone-collector