News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Tire Plug Help??

Started by Lonesome Dave, September 14, 2013, 09:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Okay, I know tire plugs are not "rocket science", but I don't know what to do.  Some weeks back I discovered a leak in my rear tire.
Now here's part of the problem.  I'm now running the Tu-bliss system.  At first I had problems with the Tu-bliss system, air would leak out, slowly.  After more investigation I discovered I needed to add "slime" to the tire.  That fixed everything.  Okay back to the flat tire.

As I said, I discovered the flat, by seeing a tiny amount of slime oozing out of the face of the tire.  I've ridden it that way ever since and for many miles.  Last week I got a fancy tire plug (Safety Seal) from PegLeg.  So today, with the rally coming up soon, I figured I better fix the tire.  After deflating the tire, I had a hard time even seeing the tiny, tiny hole.  In fact I had to re-air the tire just to confirm exactly where the hole was.  Here's the problem, the hole is so tiny, I can't seem to get the tool into the tire.  I thought about shoving an awl into the tire, or maybe drill, but that just seems crazy to me considering the size of the hole. 

Keep in mind the small inner tube (100 psi) is still inflated inside the tire, sealing/locking the bead.  When I push the tool into the face of the tire, trying to shove the plug in, it completely compresses the tire and would be very close to the small tube inside.  And, I'm not sure I can even shove it through the small hole.   

I don't know what to do.  Drill a hole or shove an awl through to make the hole bigger, risking damage to the locking tube.  Then put the plug in, or take the tire off and repair it like normal.  Or, just forget about it.

Any opinions from anyone who's had more flats than me?
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

greatbuffalo

I've never dealt with the same system you have but I have plugged hundreds of tires, mostly in cars and trucks. Its a must in the construction business.

Anyway, I use the kind with the cord style plugs. I put the plug through the plug tool and apply a rubber cement used for plugs. then You have to put air in the tire and find the hole with some soap water or what ever. When you find the hole push the rasp in and rough up the hole and open it up a bit. Then pull the rasp and shove the plug home. Just don't push it in all the way. Keep a 1/8 or 1/4 inch above the tread and yank the tool out. Give it a few to set and then cut the plug flush with the tread. Wait another bit before you ride.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike