Started by Wacked, September 22, 2013, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

OK, who did it?

It wasn't Gerry.
It wasn't Bogus Jim.
It wasn't even Fletch.

It was Mr. Dust! 

Yea, that's right, stink load of grindy/chewy/scratch-out-your-eyes kind of dust.  In all honesty, I should have been wearing googles not glasses.  But still it got in your sinus's and throat.  Towards the end of the weekend I got to thinking "what do desert racers do besides that fancy helmet with pressurized air and a filter"??? 

One of the first things I did when I got home was a google for a solution.  One of the items that came up was a "WolfSnout Mask". 

So, any of you guys had experience with this contraption, Good or Bad?

Wacked

Black Hawk

Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

Hank

Well I hope it was fun despite the dust!

Speaking of riding and dust in the eyes..

Last fall was dusty too, and I was using the dual sport helmet with visor and sun glasses.    My eyes got loaded with dust, and Sunday night when we got home I was rubbing my eye, and I wiped the entire top layer of my cornea off.   OMG...     blinding pain... truly horrible.
Long story, but I had been having minor "corneal erosions" for about a year (I'd wake up with sore eyes on and off) but I had no idea what was going on, then the dust and rubbing caused a massive one.   I even ended up having laser surgery last fall to fix it (which didn't work).    So now I just jump through a bunch of hoops to keep it from happening again.   Anyway.   That's my fun dusty eye story :)     I use goggles now!

official diagnosis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrent_corneal_erosion

Bogus Jim

One thing I can recommend for after a dusty ride, is using a neti pot for cleaning out the sinuses. It works really well.

Haven't used a wolf snout, seems like it would work better than a bandana though.

greatbuffalo

+1 on the netty pot.

Watch the old films; ie' On Any Sunday, etc. All the guys needed back in the day was a wet bandanna.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

I never ride without goggles, if its really dusty a little baby oil on the foam seals them up really well. As for the nose and throat, I use the neti pot when i get home and just suffer through the rest. I guess the real solution would be to learn the trails better than anyone else and then you can lead. No dust up there  ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Bogus Jim on September 22, 2013, 08:14:21 PM
One thing I can recommend for after a dusty ride, is using a neti pot for cleaning out the sinuses. It works really well.

When you ride sweep as much as I do, you learn two things; 1st - What the back of Jim's helmet looks like, at least for a little bit.  2nd - how to rinse out your sinuses.  I don't use the neti pot, but use NeilMed's "Sinuses Rinse" Positive Pressure Bottle System.  My Doc has been telling me to use this for allergies.  I finally did, and it really works well for both my allergies and dust.  It's gross as hell, but works.

Thanks for the info Wacked and Black Hawk, I think I'm going to try the wolf snot, sorry snout!
Older - Wiser - Faster !