News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Identify this part?

Started by Hank, October 01, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

First person to identify this part wins a beer.

loingrader

I don't think my bikes have that part but ill play and guess a stator.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

Heat/cool sensitive rheostat ??
Older - Wiser - Faster !

tannerc

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on October 01, 2013, 03:22:30 PM
Heat/cool sensitive rheostat ??
Im with LD, looks like a rheostat.
Is this a bike part?
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

Not a rheostat or stator.  No hints yet :)

It's a cool looking part with an interesting name.

Black Hawk

Looks to be some kind of thermo switch with the heater box on the bottom
Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

Bogus Jim

The more I look at it, the more I think it is a flux capacitor. How you generate 1.21 gigawatts on a motorcycle, I'm not sure.

Hank

Quote from: Bogus Jim on October 01, 2013, 06:54:31 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think it is a flux capacitor. How you generate 1.21 gigawatts on a motorcycle, I'm not sure.

.. single track, lightning, and a tall tree...

Akunin

one hell of a heat sink on that shaft... looks like a fan motor of some kind. surely this isn't from a motorcycle!

Hank

OK, it is NOT from a motorcycle.

Hank

One more hint:  You all own one.

Bogus Jim

Hank

I know it as a magnetron, but yes it is what generates the microwaves!    I'd never seen one until our microwave stopped microwaving recently.    Beer for Jim!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron

Bogus Jim

Magnetron is probably the more precise description... some of the Asian parts distributors seem to call it a Permatron.

Sometimes, the words get lost in translation. I remember seeing an ad by a Japanese reseller for a STM "ripper clutch", which of course we would know as a slipper clutch.

Hank

Magnetron just has such a funny B grade sci-fi movie ring to it, I love it.

And then you look at it you can think of about 20 things it almost looks like.    Hey is that a really small IC engine?  No I guess the crankshaft can't stick out the top of the cylinder head :)

I just thought it was neat, and not something you see every day, even you though use it every day.