News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Street legal electric superbike

Started by Bogus Jim, October 03, 2013, 09:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

First street legal electric superbike. $23,000, top speed 120+ mph. Hmmm, think I'll wait for the price to come down. And battery tech to get better...

Black Hawk

Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

greatbuffalo

This is not the first. They've been racing electric sport bikes at the Isle of Man TT since 2009. It is quite interesting to see the increase in development since the first race. In 2009, Rob Barber set an average speed of 87 mph on an AGNI. In 2010, Mark Miller hit 96.8 mph on the first MotoCzysz. In 2011, Michael Rutter averaged  99.6. In 2012, he went 104.5. This year he reached an average of 109.5. The chink in the machine is the unpredictability of the batteries. The riders do as best they can to conserve battery power but on any given day the range can vary by as much as 3 miles. This may not sound like much but when you want to get all you can out of a battery pack over 37 and 1/2 mile race, 3 miles is a lot. The riders are focus on the power meter as much as on the course. They are anticipating 115 mph in next years race.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Might have been the street legal part I missed.

Bogus Jim

I wonder if it catches on fire if you cross water that's too deep.

greatbuffalo

Did you see the Tesla that caught fire? The video went viral and Tesla stock plummeted today.

The reality is that he ran over some metal on the highway and shorted out the batteries. One of the companies I did business with years ago had a company semi hit wheel on the rode. He was hauling propane. It didn't end well for the truck and a large patch of asphalt. Likely the driver was fine.

Just shows that no vehicle can protect itself from everything.  Just ask all the bikes LD has owned.

Lonesome Dave

Hey, I was just minding my own business, reading posts and I somehow get involved.   :o  And my bikes are road warriors with experience.
Older - Wiser - Faster !