News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Roadtrip spring 2014 Any interest?

Started by greatbuffalo, January 01, 2014, 10:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Hey all,

I've been thinking the past few days that I am ready for a roadtrip to somewhere. A fewf places that come to mind are: Northeast New England area, Glacier Nat Park, Colorado, Utah, Mississippi corridor, among others.

My idea is to do the Spring rally and then shoot from there for another week or ten days. I think Colorado could be sketchy in the higher altitudes in the spring so a later date may be better.

I'm really up for any ideas and company on this trip. Don't really care where to or who with, just got the itch to get out.

The only "rule" is very little or no interstate riding. Secondary, gravel, and anything in between.

New England is home for me so I know lots of places and cheap (free) places to crash.

Anyone interested??
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Wish I was there to participate. That sounds like a great time. It is always hard to find someone to ride a long trip with. When Josh and I rode to Moab to meet the group, it was an adventure of weather for sure, but a trip I will always remember. That time of year will be tough for the Rockies, but Glacier and Montana in general had some of the best roads I have ever ridden.

Cant wait to hear ride reports of this.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Fletch

I would love to do it! Unfortunately I can't commit right now? I have a Colorado trip planned the first week of June and not sure I can get another one in before that?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

No need for commitments now, there's plenty of time for that. Just would like to get a discussion going about the possiblities and see what comes out in the wash.

And like I said, I'm not locked into the spring, if something came together for july or even August, that would work. Or even a Fall ride for that matter. I just found myself reviewing last year and realized I wasted a whole year of doing very little. I've decided that ain't gonna happen this year.

Fletch

I will definitely be in the discussion, hopefully I can make it work.

by the way, the skiing is great! the whole fam damily went up yesterday and had a blast, the girls even tried avalanche, little over their heads but they survived:

greatbuffalo

Very cool Fletch. I want to get out there o do some skiing just not sure when.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on January 02, 2014, 11:25:09 AM
Very cool Fletch. I want to get out there o do some skiing just not sure when.

let me know and I will be sure to make it.

hellneau

The last couple of years, I have pulled the bike out of storage and after checking the air in the tires, ridden straight to Utah. I mix in a great deal of street, but do some dual road on the Continental Divide on the way through Wyoming and especially around Moab (I love Onion Creek and camping on the river is a treat). Last year I did pieces of the Utah Backcountry Discovery route then headed to Vegas for two nights and home. I usually go the last week of May and try to time my ride with the races in Salt Lake.   Lots of fun, the weather can be a challenge, but worth every minute. I also alternate camping with hotels. I will most probably go again this year as well. Getting time off is always an adventure.

PS  Due to the unchecked draconian liberal lawmakers in Colorado, I choose to boycott each and every road in that state.

greatbuffalo

Well I think I've made some contact with a couple other riders to do part of the Great Divide ride in July. We'll see how those plans come together. 

I may consider other adventures along with the GDR that are 4-6 days in length.

You see, after last summer I've made a New Years resolution. No I'm not going on a diet or taking Yoga. I've just decided that:
Work less, Travel more..

hipster

Hi Greatbuffalo,

Any interest in riding the Dakota Adventure Loop either before or after the spring rally?

Tom

greatbuffalo

That may be an idea. I'll have to double check my time off from work, don't remember how much time I took off.

I'll check my schedule and kick a few things around and get back to you.

greatbuffalo

Tom,

I think that would be an idea. Doing it before the rally would work best for me.

We can figure out a date for you to blow into Mitchell and we can meet up and head West to do the route.

Wonder if anyone else is game to do the ride.

hipster

Before the rally works best for me also. 

hipster

Dan,

The June rally is only 5 weeks away, are you still interested in riding all or part of the Dakota Adventure Loop before the rally?

Tom 

Robmicgrn

Quote from: hipster on May 15, 2014, 07:59:04 AM
Dan,

The June rally is only 5 weeks away, are you still interested in riding all or part of the Dakota Adventure Loop before the rally?

Tom

5 weeks out................ Sign up seems kinda thin. Did it get posted to ADV Rider like previous years?
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"