News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Roadtrip spring 2014 Any interest?

Started by greatbuffalo, January 01, 2014, 10:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

I did not post in on ADV, but I will.   It's never gathered much response there, but I'll give it a shot again.

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on May 15, 2014, 08:31:11 PM
I did not post in on ADV, but I will.   It's never gathered much response there, but I'll give it a shot again.

I threw up a link to it in last years thread you made. May want to start a new one.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Hipster, Yup still planning to give it a shot and get some or all of it done, depends on the weather as to how excited I am and how much I may want to do. I don't want to end my rally before it begins like some of your travel mates did last year. Bogus Jim expressed a bit of interest as well if he can get some time off.

We'll hammer out some plans in a couple weeks.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Trying to get the plans for the prerally DAKAL ride planned. If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Roughly the plan is, and by all means, is not cast in stone. Its more like jotted down in pencil.

With the Rally starting on Thursday the 19th, I was thinking about meeting Hipster somewhere between Mitchell and the hills, where ever works for him, on Friday the 13th or Saturday the 14th. Begin the loop in the Deadwood area on Sunday the 15th. They say the loop take 4 days to run. therefore we would finish the loop on Wednesday in Deadwood to be there for the Rally on Thursday.

Like I said, I'm kinda pullin' this from my rectum and any or all involved can weigh in. I am up to adjusting the schedule to accommodate plans to shorten the ride or any other ideas others have. This was initially proposed by Hipster so he'll likely have his own ideas and we'll wait on his reply.

If you are not familiar with this route, here is the link.     http://shop.stridersports.com

Anyone interested in this ride can post here and we'll try to get this nailed down the end of the weekend.

greatbuffalo

Just did a bit more reading on the "official" site, which was down the other day when I was doing some planning. They are saying a longer period of time for this ride,6-7 days. I think if we just start and see how far we get in the 4 days allotted. What do you think?

Bogus Jim

I think 6-7 days might be required if you stop at all the attractions and look around, etc. 4-5 days would be a normal pace with a few photo stops. I'm still hoping to tag along but the route and pace is up to Dan and Tom since they're the guests here.

I came through Edgemont on the way home from Arizona and the Cheyenne river depth seemed really low. That was puzzling since most of the other creeks are so full here. The route has a long backtrack if you can't make the river crossing so we could skip that if you want.

greatbuffalo

Bogus, back from Arizona? How was that bike on the way back? I'm bloody jealous!
Hope the trip was good.

hipster

Dan, I could meet you in Mitchell on Sunday June 15.  Jim, are you also located in the Mitchell area?

What bikes will you guys be riding?  I'll be on my KTM 990, so I'll have to be careful if the river crossings get a little deep, that thing will sink like a rock.

Tom             

greatbuffalo

Tom, I'm taking my KLR. A bit slow on the road, but I'll try to keep up with you on the road. I'm thinkin' about putting on a bigger sprocket for the ride out and changing before the loop ride. Sunday sounds good. If the water is too deep, we just go around.

Jim is in Rapid.

Bogus Jim

Guess I'll be a no-show for the Great Buffalo DAKAL ride. I'm taking 2 weeks in August to ride WY / CO with my brother and after checking, I don't quite have enough vacation left this year to take a week in June as well. Maybe I'll take a day off and ride with you guys for a day at least.

greatbuffalo

Jim, wish I could give you some of mine. I have 360 hours built up. We'll miss you.

hipster

greatbuffalo