News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Black Dog Skid Plate

Started by The Yeti, November 02, 2008, 10:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Cracked my stocker on the last DDSR rally. It cracked all the way through after a couple weeks, so I got one of these:

Pretty damn bullet-proof, and, as a bonus, every time a rock hits it, it makes a very satisfying "PING" noise!   ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Wait till you get your high fender!   Lots of loud clanging then as the front wheel throws quite a few more rocks at it.

Hank

So when are you getting a high fender?

loingrader

those 950adv's look so sweet.  in fact, i think that ktm's look better than pretty much anything else on the road.  plus, orange is my favorite color. 

there are 3 or 4 of their models that i can almost justify putting in the garage.  almost.

640 LC4 adventure (or 660 rally)
530 EXC
RC8
990 adventure (of course)

they just keep bringing out cool new models

props to the austrians
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on November 03, 2008, 03:26:16 PM
those 950adv's look so sweet.  in fact, i think that ktm's look better than pretty much anything else on the road. 

Y'know...the first time I saw a 950, I thought it was ugly as sin. I guess the looks have kinda grown on me, but I still think it's not one of the best looking bikes around (although, it does look "mean"  8) ).  I've never rode a "funner" bike, though!

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on November 03, 2008, 03:10:07 PM
So when are you getting a high fender?

Not a big priority on the farkle list, I guess I haven't had the proper motivation yet. Maybe you should take me out to some of that Badlands clay on a nice wet day...  ;)

For the bits of mud I've rode around the hills, I just haven't ran into a situation where it would be needed yet.

loingrader

yea, i think if you ride much in that badlands clay, lock up your front tire a few times, you may be singing the praises of a high fender mount too. 

that little jaunt thru the badlands really made me wonder why in the hell ktm would mount that fender in the way that they did (on an adventure bike).  not only is it close to the tire, but when it gets packed with mud the tire pulls the fender forward and down, which just makes it act like a vise on the tire.  not a good thing when trying to stay upright.  we all felt pretty bad for hank that day.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I'm sure they went with the low fender because it's a little nicer on the highway, and probably does a little better job with radiator air flow.   I guess team KTM actually uses the low fender for sand - Paris - Dakar etc.. probably for cooling reasons and sand won't jam it up.

Yeti, tipping over in the clay is one thing, but when smallish rocks jam it up and break the rear mounts, locking the front wheel on a nice down hill.. thats when you'll really wish you had one.   At least that's when I made up my mind.

Hank

Quote from: The Yeti on November 03, 2008, 09:33:59 PM
Y'know...the first time I saw a 950, I thought it was ugly as sin. I guess the looks have kinda grown on me, but I still think it's not one of the best looking bikes around (although, it does look "mean"  8) ).  I've never rode a "funner" bike, though!

I'm with you on that.   I think color scheme makes a huge difference though.  The silver ones are just fugly.  The new 990R paint scheme looks pretty damn cool.

The Yeti

Yeah, saw that new 990 this morning for the first time...I love the new paint scheme!

Dustin

Wow!! I really like the new paint scheme... Maybe even a little better than the blue.