News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Early spring project, Beta 450 RR

Started by tannerc, March 22, 2014, 12:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

Well.... I picked up another Dirty bike. Going to be an early spring project, trying to get it all ready for riding in a month or so if things go smooth.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

grubbie

Ain't that purty! So is AK gonna be on the 650 now????

tannerc

No, she is scared of that, she will still be serrow-ing it up. We will start a search for a new one for in a couple months if she behaves, makes up her mind on what she wants.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

chris_king

Stop copying me bro.

Seriously though I ride with a small crew of Beta riders here in the hills.  When your in town give me a ring if you wanna run with us.

tannerc

Early spring project...
Thought I would get a valve check in, good thing I checked... to my surprise

Missing the lock nut and the valve adjustment screw base/foot. not good.  >:(

Got to looking for the missing pieces..

found the rest of the valve adjustment screw!  thats it on top of the pickup.    :o

now if I could just find that damn nut...  >:(

Lonesome Dave

Hope you got a really good deal.   :o Sure looks good.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

I take it the machine was running poorly when you got it?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on March 27, 2014, 07:13:16 PM
Hope you got a really good deal.   :o Sure looks good.
Atfer this fiasco I dont think a deal was had by me..  :(

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 29, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
I take it the machine was running poorly when you got it?
Actually it was running fine, I only rode it a couple blocks but no strange noises, couldnt tell you if it was lacking power from only one intake valve functioning it was my first and only ride on it.

Osnabrock

It's a nice bike.  I'm sure you can sort it out.
My old Honda XL600R had a similar way of adjusting the valves.  It sure was easy compared to checking valve clearances and finding the appropriate shims.  I didn't know those engines had that feature. 
I'm glad that you found out the problem before it became, well, a problem.  A few new parts and a few new gaskets and you're in business.  New, used, bikes always need a bit of care and then you're better off for knowing their innards.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

tannerc

The nut has been found!!!  :)
Parts on the way to get it back together, should be up and running real soon!

Quote from: Osnabrock on March 31, 2014, 10:14:17 PM
It's a nice bike.  I'm sure you can sort it out.
My old Honda XL600R had a similar way of adjusting the valves.  It sure was easy compared to checking valve clearances and finding the appropriate shims.  I didn't know those engines had that feature. 
I'm glad that you found out the problem before it became, well, a problem.  A few new parts and a few new gaskets and you're in business.  New, used, bikes always need a bit of care and then you're better off for knowing their innards.

The xr650r valves adjust the same way, easy peasy.

Osnabrock

That's good news. 
Happy the broken bits turned up.

tannerc

Well, ITS DONE!  :evil  (I haven't got to ride it yet)

Got the new valve adjuster and nut, tore that end apart and put it back together.

Then I had to start making it trail worthy.

IMS tank.
Stiffer rear spring.
New grips & throttle tube.
Cyrca hand guards.
Disasembled and cleaned the forks, put in new fork oil.
Seal savers (zip on kind).
changed the clutch fluid, bled the clutch then changed to o-ring to a vinton and did the whole process again it was so fun.
New rear wheel bearings (there are three of em in there!  :o )
MotoZ Tractionator Enduro I/T front & rear tires.
New rear sprocket, went up a couple teeth.
Beta Rad fan kit.
Unabiker radiator guards (those took some modifying and still are not quite right)
Ceramic coated the header

Looked really nice, too nice to cover up... but.. I wrapped it in fiberglass header wrap.

Hyde skid plate (that took a lot of modifying too)
and a ton of other stuff I cant remember right now.

Hank

Looks awesome!!

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Osnabrock

Is that a 2 into 1 header on the bike? 
What sort of shock does it have, Sachs?
I bet you're busting at the seams to take it out on the trails.  I hope it happens soon.
Enjoy your hard work!