Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Early spring project, Beta 450 RR

Started by tannerc, March 22, 2014, 12:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on May 12, 2014, 04:46:21 PM
Looks awesome!!
Now if the weather will cooperate with my days off!

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 12, 2014, 08:04:45 PM
Looks like a boat load of fun!!

I think it will be.

Quote from: Osnabrock on May 12, 2014, 09:19:23 PM
Is that a 2 into 1 header on the bike? 
What sort of shock does it have, Sachs?
I bet you're busting at the seams to take it out on the trails.  I hope it happens soon.
Enjoy your hard work!

2 into one,  sachs shock.  Still have to set my sag and fix a little drip conning from the coolant temp probe.  But then it's time to let it rip.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Osnabrock

Two into one headers are terribly cool looking on 450s. 
As are the dual exhausts on the Honda 450X's of a certain age.  Sure, twice as expensive but still cool.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Osnabrock

Any updates?
The Huntersville enduro, that you checked out last year, is this weekend.  Do you think you'll make it over on any of your dirt bikes?  I know your interest was piqued last year. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

tannerc

Ran the Beta in the hills last weekend, It worked great.
The front is a little soft, I think that is because I put a larger tank on and has nothing to do with my sweet hockey body....
The motoz rear was shit on the silty-ish loose pine needle infested single track. The front was great. (the rear was great on gravel.. odd) It just didnt do it for me, back to my fav, Maxxis desert IT
I think I should have went a step stiffer on the rear spring.
Gearing worked great, perfect almost.
The bike is good, its a keeper.

I would like to get in on an enduro over there, prefer the PB area over huntersville but either way I get to work the next couple of weekends.. I deff plan on getting over that way soon though. I will give a heads up beforehand.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

tannerc

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Beta update this thread.

Tore the Beta down on the first day of the new year.

Figured it is about as good a time as any to get the forks and shock sent off to get revalved, resprung, reworked, setup.
I have been running the stock forks and a heavier spring on the shock. The forks seem to be sprung for someone 2/3 my weight which leaves me riding half way through the stroke before a bump.

no point in being with out a dirt bike so the snow pig was pulled off the bench

They are clearing the lake at the shipwreck, getting the oval ready for the races.

tannerc

I decided I wanted to raise my bars up a little, Standing up on the pegs left me hunched over a little, to keep full control.
I called Dave @ http://getdirtydirtbikes.com/ and asked him what my options were. (he knows his stuff when it comes to betas)

I ended up buying a BRP Rubber Mounted Handlebar Clamp and Scott's Steering Damper Kit
Another DDSR member said he really liked how the Scott's Dampener worked and felt it was a worth while purchase so we will give it a try.

I did not think my beta had bad vibes in the handle bars, but the package deal here worked out better $$ wise then buying a dampener and a different sub mount. So ... What the heck give it a try.
The kit came with red and blue poly bushings, one color is softer then the other.

I also grabbed a new to me kickstand, getting tired of that boomerang I was using.

So.. For those of you with a Scott dampener, what settings are you using?
I found this video from Jeff Slavens, his setup for single track.

Another question, any of you guys with ktm, have any idea what the torque spec should be on the steering stem top bolt? The bolt in the middl of the upper tripple.
Googleing around I havent found an exact answer and that torque spec is not listed in my beta manual.

Hank

Cool updates.   My opinion of a stabilizer is that you don't know what you're missing until you try one, then you'll never be without one.    Deflection off roots, ruts, and stability in sand... they just work so nice.     As far as how I set it.. I just play with it, then set it where it feels right for conditions.   

Hank

My service manual says 7.4 foot-lb for the main triple nut.     I've read different ways..  Tighten up tighter, then back off, etc.   I usually do it to feel.    Snug it up till its too stiff, back off, repeat a few times until its seated good, and end up with it so its just snugged up with no slop.

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on February 05, 2015, 05:31:38 PM
My opinion of a stabilizer is that you don't know what you're missing until you try one, then you'll never be without one.   

Thats what I have been hearing from most people, I think it will help a lot at the end of a long day of single track when your arms are shot! Plus now that I am invested in the main unit I just need to buy mounts for the other bikes.

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on February 05, 2015, 05:37:38 PM
My service manual says 7.4 foot-lb for the main triple nut.     I've read different ways..  Tighten up tighter, then back off, etc.   I usually do it to feel.    Snug it up till its too stiff, back off, repeat a few times until its seated good, and end up with it so its just snugged up with no slop.

I have it set by feel right now, no slop and smooth. It just concerned me when I could not find a listed spec, they have it listed for everything else.
I read a few different numbers from different bikes, some as low as 4 ft lbs. 

tannerc

Got my suspension back from Les @ LT Racing! http://www.lt-racing.com/

I found out about LTR through Cafe Husky & Thumper Talk. There are plenty of reviews of Mr. Tinius's work and It all looked positive, one guy thought he set things up a little soft but I think I would like things a little plush anyway. People thought Les knew his way around Marzocchi and Sachs suspension components so I chose him to work on the Beta's.
Great communication and I like how he did a "forensic" rundown of the suspension in its stock state that I sent it to him in and then looked at what I thought it was lacking and then let me know what he thought we should do about it.

I sent him a link to a video from this summer, gave him my weight, listed my bike load out and said make me float over this stuff!

I misplaced multiple tubes of red loctite so I haven't got things put all the way back together, The weather remains too shitty to give it a test anyway...
Cant wait to try it out!

Hank

Keep us posted.   I always figure I'm too ignorant to know good suspension from really good suspension.    I can however tell the difference between good suspension and shitty suspension     ;D