News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

I want to go tubeless.....

Started by greatbuffalo, March 23, 2014, 01:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dratharr

I have been running the Tubliss for 5 years now. I took them off the bike I ride in the Black Hills for the time being mainly because I have had a couple of tire failures on the trails in the Black Hills, all involving sharp rocks somewhat low PSI, and the Tubliss system. The problem is when a rock cuts your tire you are SOL. With a Tube you can usually patch the tube and put a rubber boot in the tire and you are on your way back home. One good thing is you usually can ride out with a flat on the Tubliss system as long as you have not punctured the inner bladder, unfortunately on two occasions I punctured both riding the trails in the Hills. The company is great the product is great I love the way my bike handles with them, and the increased traction from running lower PSI, but I learned the hard way that I have to run a bit more PSI in the Hills some of those rocks are really sharp! Granted I could run a higher PSI with the system, but with one trashed rim, and two calls to my wife to pick my up at the Sugar Shack from Custer I took them off of the Husky. I agree it takes a LOT of weight to get the tire balanced , I think I had upwards of 3 oz on my front. I am still torn I would love to try them again, I like being able to plug a flat, I really like the way the bike rides, "its a significant difference". I may have to try them again with a set of stiffer, more durable tires, I am thinking Maxxis IT or something along that lines with a MT 43 out back, and run my pressure up a bit.

greatbuffalo

I find I run my tubed tires with more pressure than others do when riding the Hills. I'm real paranoid about sharp rocks pinching my tubes.

Thanks for weighing in on your experience.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Just did a quick search..... Why are there so many Kevlar tires for bicycles but seemingly none for motorcycles?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Good tires (Maxxis Desert IT / Pirelli Scorpion XCMH) and good tubes (Michellin ULTRA heavy duty) I have never had a flat on the trail. Not once. I have even ran 6 psi and no problems.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

sprout

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on May 15, 2014, 07:26:42 PM
Sprout your still around!  Are you going to make it for the summer rally next month?
Quote from: sprout on May 15, 2014, 04:52:01 PM
I tried the sealant method shown on smug-mug. Put it toghther and 3 leaked. Cleaned them and resealed. Found a couple more leaking.... stuck a tube in because I's leaving on a trip. I think tubless is a great idea. Pluging is much quicker and breaking down a tire on an F800 is a real SOB.

sprout ;D

I am planning on coming this year. I missed everyone last year. I always have a great time out there, even with broken ribs!!! No promises,  :P :Pbut I have it on my calender and am hoping to make a showing!!

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !