News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Cold Starting

Started by sdguy, November 07, 2008, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OOFDA

I am sure the government folly called ethanol has a part in this. Less BTU's than straight gas. Last year I drove my van thru SD and was forced to fuel in state. Of course I got ethanol and immediately lost 6 MPG. What issues does this cause you guys who can't get anything but ethanol blended fuel?

OOFDA

loingrader

i run cheap (10% ethanol) in everything but the boat and my dads rd350's.  they get non ethanol premium.  i never have any issues with the blend in any of my 3 vehicles, 4 motorcycles, or 8 small engine gadgets.  i may lose a little mileage, but the cheaper gas makes it a better deal to run the blends
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

I'm glad it works out for you. I thought SD was a state that mandated ethanol in ALL gas sold in the state. Apparently you found a station with non-ethanol premium fuel. Iowa tried to mandate the same this year but got shot down because the public did not want it.

OOFDA

fringefan

Not sure if it still applies  but I was always told not to run ethanol in any small engines because it is known to dry out the gaskets and I for one have had it happen more than once.

OOFDA

If your carb has any nylon or plastic parts in it ethanol will eventually destroy them. Also if your gas line is not rated for ethanol it will also be ruined. Don't leave ethanol gas in your machine too long, if it is a non sealed system, as it will attract moisture. The water will settle to the bottom and be drawn into your fuel system. I have had several in the tank fuel pumps ruined account sucking straight water. No lubrication. It will also eat fiberglass gas tanks.

OOFDA

Dr Psyko

I raced Karts with Methanol and the stuff was so corrosive that we had to drain and flush the carb after every race day. 1 week undrained would leave chalky residue in carb bowls, and eat softer metals and any non-metal parts.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.