News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Badlands trip on Tuesday???

Started by GLADIATOR88, April 24, 2014, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLADIATOR88

Hello all

I am thinking of riding my Super Tenere from NY to Badlands SD leaving this Monday evening 4/28/14.  Probably arriving in badlands sometime Wednesday.  My question is it to early in the season for this ride? I do not want to be stuck with snow or icey roads.  I do not plan on riding offroad unless it is hard packed and mostly stay on paved roads looking for twistys.  I was thinking riding through badlands park then heading to black hills , needles hwy mt rushmore etc....

Thanks...  weather looks ok right now,  but I know you guys that know the area can guide me
properly..

Thanks!!!!
Mike

Fletch

I wouldn't worry too much. it is a questionable time of year, but ice/snow typically only lasts a day or two this time of year. odds of riding in 40 degree wet weather are good though so proper gear is a must.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

GLADIATOR88

Thanks Fletch..  I have my new set of Klim Badlands pro jacket and pants along with a heated jacket and goretex sidi boots.   Not as much worried about cold (riding in 35 to 40 deg) but am worried about ice and snow.   

Thanks anyone else have some pointers for the Badlands area for next week?

Thanks!!

Hank

I did a fly and ride to (flew to Florida and rode home) a year ago last week and as luck would have it we had a freakish late snow storm here in Eastern SD that caused me some grief, but I sure wouldn't be afraid to do it again.      I'm willing to bet we're done with snow/ice for this year... but its still possible for a couple more weeks.   As Fletch says.. it will be very short lived if it does happen.

Bogus Jim

Should be a good time of year for the riding you want to do... you won't have 2,000 slow-moving tourist minivans to deal with on the roads.

If you're hungry when you get done riding the Badlands, stop at Lintz Bros Pizza in Hermosa, probably the best in the Hills.

http://lintzbrospizza.com

GLADIATOR88

Aweosme!! Thanks for all the info!! Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Dr Psyko

Speaking for Minesota, anything is possible, but the weather seems OK for ovr the weekend. Had a few snowflakes yesterday but mixed with rain. I rode the KLR to work Tuesday morning and it was 35 degrees on the freeway...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Lonesome Dave

If your looking for Badlands scenery, this is one of my favorites.  Its located on Hwy 40 about 10 miles south of Red Shirt, SD.  I posted the following link from Google maps, but wasn't able to figure out how to mark a map.  If you want to PM me, I'll send you my phone # for different routes in that area.  I have a couple of ideas that you could take from Interior, SD (next to the park), towards Scenic, SD.  Most roads would be pavement, with some gravel roads.  Let me know.

https://geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&authuser=0&hl=en&output=thumbnail&thumb=2&panoid=HJmRn6UHvi7gIzcZHYY03Q&w=402&h=168&yaw=19.005618853549183&pitch=0&ll=43.559222,-102.886462
Older - Wiser - Faster !

tannerc

Also if you find a book store along the way in your travels, Road Runner Motorcycle touring magazine has a good write up on the scenic, twisty paved routes in the hills. It also has map pocket sized pull out maps with day tour routes.
If you cant find the magazine the link below has the maps, as well as the gps tracks for download.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/content/may-june-2014/

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Fletch

I've changed my mind. Badlands today is a bad idea....

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Fletch on April 29, 2014, 09:40:12 AM

Weather channel says wind NNW @ 46 mph. A southeast route would be best.  ;D

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on April 29, 2014, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Fletch on April 29, 2014, 09:40:12 AM

Weather channel says wind NNW @ 46 mph. A southeast route would be best.  ;D

and don't forget the rain/snow gear ;)