News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

1190Adventure R

Started by Fletch, May 29, 2014, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

I finally got a chance to test the 1190R off road. Went for a nice ride after work and I am pleasantly surprised with the bike. I had my doubts as to whether it would work as well as the 990 and whether the electronics would be a pain in the ass. I am happy to say for the riding I do it works as well as the 990 and maybe even a little bit better? I started on this trail near Rolling Hills subdivision on Nemo road.

I had the bike in my pavement setting (sport/TC off) and it worked fairly well. As the trails got a little rockier and I had to slow down I found the throttle response was a little twitchy and I had to clutch it a bit due to the tall gearing (I tried a 16t front but found it too low to take advantage of the beautiful torque curve on the pavement so went back to stock). I stopped and switched to the Offroad mode and while I was at it I put the ABS in offroad and turned the TC back on to see how it worked.  Wow!! I don't know how it works, but it works well!! The power is so smooth off idle you can all but let it idle in first gear. I was going to go up a few teeth in the rear but now I may leave the gearing stock.
I continued past Dalton lake to Vanocker canyon on some gravel and discovered the Offroad setting allows enough wheel spin to slide around corners in my best flat track impression (not very impressive). I then took the Galena cut across and found the creek crossing to be over about 3' deep. The bike handled it fine, but it filled my boots so the rest of the ride I had soggy feet.
I headed up butcher gulch and took the trail over to the white walls(or Hercules walls?) it's about as rough as I get on the adventure.  The 1190 handled it as well as the 990 did last fall:

I went back down and followed camp 5 road out to boulder canyon. Happy, happy, happy all the way home!!  I think she is going to be a keeper and my off road worries are gone.  She looks nice in her natural habitat too:

All in all I think it is as good as the 990 for the off roading I do with it. Perhaps if you were doing really technical stuff the 990 (geared really low) would work better. But, that's what I have the 300 for. I think the 1190's off road ability coupled with the on road performance, not to mention fuel range, make it about a perfect adventure bike.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Next stop, Morrison Jeep Trail.  ;)

Fletch

Bogus Jim

This is a pretty cool photo I found this morning. Shows the trail going to the edge of the cliff... at the 3 o'clock position are the switchbacks. Looks totally doable on a 1190.  ;D

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 29, 2014, 09:55:10 AM
This is a pretty cool photo I found this morning. Shows the trail going to the edge of the cliff... at the 3 o'clock position are the switchbacks. Looks totally doable on a 1190.  ;D

yea... ???

greatbuffalo

First let say this.............  I am so freaking jealous!!!!!!

That Morrrison Jeep trail, that's the one that goes over the edge of Spearfish Canyon from Richmond Hill, yes?

Many moons ago I and my buddy were out there looking for some unique slag remains from one of the mines, I think it was the Richmond Hill mine where they used an esoteric technique to separate the money stuff from the ore.

Anyway, always looking for different routes, I looked at my netbook that was always attached to my dash with a GPS dongle attached. I saw this road go over the edge. So, we took it. Super steep and very tight in places. Didn't realize it was a closed trail/road and that it exited behind someone's house. That Xterra 0f mine has been to so many places, some of which could have landed me in court..

That photo is awesome.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Jim, where did you find that photo?

Lonesome Dave

Dan, I think your 4 to 5 thousand feet off in elevation and at least several hundred miles away!  But the trail you describe does sound like the one coming down off of the old mining town of Carbonate.  :D
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

The trail (morrison) I'm thinking of is in Wyoming off Beartooth highway. Total elevation drop is 5,600 feet, 27 switchbacks. I was headed that way last August but due to the stalling issue on the WRR, had to turn around at Ten Sleep. Really a bummer.

I found the photo on a Wyoming 4x4 site. The photographer was in a plane when he took the photo.

I'm thinking Fletch should wear a parachute, that way if he goes off the edge he can float to safety while his beloved 1190 R cartwheels to the salvage yard.  ;D

Fletch

how much is a parachute?

greatbuffalo

OH!!! I get it...... Call me stupid.. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[   I wish I had a good excuse for my laps of intelligence but..............  I don't. I'm just PO'd Dave knew that and I didn't.  >:(  :evil >:(

I didn't think things looked right but from the right angle, things can take on a completely different appearance. I should also state that I didn't reall look that close at the photo. Ya.... thats it.

I'd be up for a try at that trail with a different bike,............... like Dave's ;D

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 30, 2014, 04:44:43 AM
I'd be up for a try at that trail with a different bike,............... like Dave's ;D

Yeah... would be a blast on my two stroke. I'm probably too chicken to try it on the Tiger.

Lonesome Dave

Jim, that's what happens when you spend 10k on bike.  You worry about breaking it!  :evil
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 30, 2014, 10:14:19 AM
Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 30, 2014, 04:44:43 AM

Yeah... would be a blast on my two stroke. I'm probably too chicken to try it on the Tiger.

oh yea, the two strokes would be a hoot.. the 1190 not so much but I will report back on the results...

Sportfaller

ah, they are only new once, i put that brand new 14k f800 throught the ringer in moab when she was only 2 weeks old.... too bad she had to come home on a trailer!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"