News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

86 VF1000R Project

Started by Hank, May 31, 2014, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

I found this relic locally through FB and couldn't pass it up for $850.   Its complete (tail section / seat/ cowling was in my truck at the time) and has new tires, chain / sprockets, R/R and thermostat, but hasn't run in 2 years.      The previous owner paid to have it worked on, then parked it until the carbs got fouled, and there it has sat.    My cousin, who's the service manager at the local Suzuki / MG shop,  had done work on the bike numerous times over the prior few years and remembers it as being decent mechanically.   Cosmetically its a 3 or 4 at best, but its still a great restoration candidate.

These were only sold in the US in 85 and 86 and never sold well, so they are pretty rare.   This one is an 86, so it was on the market when I was a junior in HS.   I remember drooling over them in the pages of Cycle and Cycleworld.   I love old 80s stuff, especially Hondas, and have a hard time passing stuff up that I loved as a kid.     Honda used to make some incredibly cool and edgy stuff.   Now it seems they mostly build just plain weird stuff.  What a bummer.

With the potential move coming up, it was pretty terrible timing, but what's a guy to do??      I probably won't touch it until next winter, but stay tuned!

Fletch

It was my dream bike when it came out, unfortunately I had to wait and settle for a 750
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

I had an 86 VFR700 also.   I bought it wrecked in 89 or 90, fixed it up and put about 30K miles on it.    The 700/750s were great bikes.  Better than this 1000 I'd say

Fletch your brother might remember getting a wheelie filled ride around campus on my 86 700.

Bogus Jim

Always loved the V-4 sound... it made the Top Ten List on motorcycle.com

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/top-ten-best-sounding-motorcycle-engines-91156.html

I suppose handling doesn't compare to any modern sportbike though.

Hank

I think the 180 degree crank, gear driven cam V4s are some of the best sounding bikes ever, especially with a pipe.  The older 360 degree crank engines with chain drive cams sound pretty boring (earlier Magnas, Sabres, and the first gen 83/84/85 interceptors).

I'm thinking this 1000 would be a good candidate for some modern suspension and 17" wheels with radials.   We'll see about that though.

tannerc

Sweet! That is awesome. Hondas V4 engines are pretty damn cool.. torque -hp-longevity ...
Cant wait to see what you do with it.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

These are just awesome modern restorations.    The owner is from Colorado.

I think this VF1000R, is simply the prettiest sport bike I've seen:

And his VF100F update is nearly as nice:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/26108-Big-F-project

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on May 31, 2014, 08:41:15 PM
These are just awesome modern restorations.    The owner is from Colorado.

I think this VF1000R, is simply the prettiest sport bike I've seen:

Single sided swing arm!  :eat
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Like I said when I saw you the other day, I know a guy that had one of these with a Vetter slant nose sidecar with matching paint. Wheels were changed out and made so car tires could fitted on all 3 corners. It was quite a machine. I used to have a photo of it but unable to track it down.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on May 31, 2014, 02:56:37 PM
Fletch your brother might remember getting a wheelie filled ride around campus on my 86 700.

Really?  It was probably good for him, he needs to relax more often.. Hopefully he and Cooper will make it out riding a couple times this year they had a blast last year
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Rolled it into the workshop today and pulled more parts off, just to see what I had.

Leaves and filth in every nook and cranny:

The tank is pretty straight with just a few small dents.

The inside is rust free, which is a bonus:

More dirt!

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on June 01, 2014, 10:11:09 AM

Really?  It was probably good for him, he needs to relax more often.. Hopefully he and Cooper will make it out riding a couple times this year they had a blast last year

Yeah I used to ride around with Brad and his friend Richie once in a while.  Richie had a Fazer and Brad was riding a Nighthawk S I think?  Maybe had a Hurricane later on?

Hank

Well,  it runs.    It misses and smokes like mad but I don't believe it was oil smoke.    I'll clean the carbs and see how it does.

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

loingrader

I'm excited to see what bit of magic you work on it Hank.  My vote is an updated resto vs bone stock resto.  Could make a really cool street legal track bike after some time in your shop.  Won't be a fortune invested in it.  Would be damn fun on those twisties in the hills too.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

dufferv65

Quote from: tannerc on May 31, 2014, 06:16:38 PM
Sweet! That is awesome. Hondas V4 engines are pretty damn cool.. torque -hp-longevity ...
Cant wait to see what you do with it.
Have the V4 in the Magna V65 and It sure does scream for an ugly beat up 2 wheeled machine.  Might have rev'd it past the redline a couple few time and she keeps ticking away.  The most astonishing part about the V65 for being an old overweight cruiser is that is still pops a wheelie.  :cheers

Neat bike Hank!