Come on, summer...

Main Menu

86 VF1000R Project

Started by Hank, May 31, 2014, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on June 01, 2014, 02:08:26 PM
Quote from: Fletch on June 01, 2014, 10:11:09 AM

Really?  It was probably good for him, he needs to relax more often.. Hopefully he and Cooper will make it out riding a couple times this year they had a blast last year

Yeah I used to ride around with Brad and his friend Richie once in a while.  Richie had a Fazer and Brad was riding a Nighthawk S I think?  Maybe had a Hurricane later on?

oh yea, rich naser, he lives in SF now. his dad has a 990 Adventure and rides to Alaska every summer.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Ya, I know his dad Richard. Have ridden with him a few times. A great guy to ride with you want a history lesson. First time I rode with him he had an FJR. Then he bought the GS and then another. Since he's had the 990  he hasn't looked back. I' haven't caught up with him this spring but have waved to him a few times and seen the bike at Taco John's (you'd think he works there). I want to ask him when he's trading that in for the 1190. He is a super great guy and a great rider.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Osnabrock

I've never owned, or ridden, a "crotch rocket" but the Honda Interceptors are the ones that I keep looking at.  Katanas as well. 
It must be that they are the iconic bikes from when I was growing up and watching films or tv or something. 
I know nothing about the bikes so if you do any sort of a write up, I'll be reading and storing the info.
It seems like there's a fair amount of knowledge to be had here.  Would Interceptors or Katanas make an OK touring bike or is the riding position just to sporty? 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

loingrader

Anything can be made comfortable enough.  Most viffers would make excellent sport touring bikes, especially the last couple of generations.  If you want a really fun sport tourer try a Honda XX.  If you want a great sport touring bike with a shaft drive my vote goes for first gen FJR.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

I had an 81 Katana, the first year they made them. Strange looking machine and at 18 years old I could ride anything forever. Don't think I could ride one of those early models vary far now. In 82 I took off from Northern NH and headed for Vail Colorado. When we headed out of denver, up I75 into the intermountain region it was a sunny 70 degrees. A friend who we were supposed to meet in Vail told us to take Loveland Pass as it was a great bike route. It was now 62 degrees at Loveland Ski Area as we went up the pass. When we got to the top is was 34 degrees and spitting snow. When we got to Arapaho Basin there was a film of snow and slush, packed into ice in places. There I was on my Katana with a duffle bag thrown over the back of the saddle tied down with rope, and my friend riding my XS650. For 6 miles of some of the best and worst rodes there is, riding the back brake and trying to pick a line. We finally pulled off and waited for the snow to melt....... and to clean the poo out of our britches. So yes, you can tour on one if your young and stupid. :evil :evil :evil

tannerc

Quote from: Osnabrock on June 02, 2014, 10:57:24 PM
Would Interceptors or Katanas make an OK touring bike or is the riding position just to sporty?

The VFR 800 is a pretty popular sport tourer... And a beauty! 

I would have one if I didnt have the DL but too much overlap between the two or maybe i need a backup..

or there is the cruise missile of the sport tours...   :evil

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

In regards to the VF/VFR 700/750/800:  I've owned the gen 1 (early VF 83), gen 2 (86) and a gen 4 (95).      I've ridden my buddy's gen 6 (03) quite a bit.   I'd really like to try a gen 5.    Of the ones I've ridden I'd pick the 95 for sport touring.   It could just be my memory of a younger me but I remember the 95 being more comfortable than the 03.       They had gear driven cams from 86-01 (gen 2 - gen 5)... and I think that's a big bonus.   Some don't like Gen 6 because of the chain driven cams and the V-tec motor (runs on 2 valves up to about 6K then switches to 4.   It gives it sort of a power band... two stroke like.   I don't really think the complexity justifies it.   They are damn sexy though (see above!)

Starting with Gen 2 they are all rock solid bikes.    I think they are FI starting with gen 5, but maybe its gen 6.

The 1000s are a different animal.  Only two models (VF1000R and VF1000F) and I think the years were 84 for the 1000F and 85/86 for the 1000R here in the states.

Like LG says, anything can be made comfortable.   The CBR1100XX is definitely a great sport tourer.   I put tubular bars, a Corbin and lower pegs on my 97 and did my first and only SS1000 on it with no issues.   

GB... that's good stuff.   Those early Katanas were cool.       The new style Kats are cheap and common, but man are they hard on the eyes?     The newer ones are definitely budget sport bikes, but if you like the looks OK I think they are reliable as anvils and cheap and easy to own.     They are also supposed to be pretty comfortable.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on June 03, 2014, 06:23:42 AM
   The new style Kats are cheap and common, but man are they hard on the eyes?

Didn't want to say it cause I love me some damn ugly bikes but I draw the line at a katana.

To each his own!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

Had a '90 750 and loved it. Comfort is relative I rode my CBR954 800 miles in one day on a 6 day 3500 mile trip and it was fine. Had a Corbin seat and the bars were raised an inch or two? I do like the v-4's
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

An interesting story that Katana is. They were originally designed by a firm in Bavaria or someplace like that, for Suzuki to sell to their European market. It was a bit different looking but the ergos weren't that bad. I could do a 800 mile day. I was a bit better of physically in those days. It was a great bike that handled well, great power, and very reliable. Kinda ugly though, I'll give you that.

Hank

I think the early 80s katanas look really cool.    It's the current ones that I think are ugly.   They look like a 95 Sable.

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on June 06, 2014, 09:12:16 PM
They look like a 95 Sable.

Geez you pegged it Hank.  Resemblance is striking!

greatbuffalo

Hank

I got side tracked the last couple months with an orphaned '80 CB750F that turned up, but that's been resurrected and off to a new home, so I finally did something with the 1000R.

Before I do any real restoration or modifications, I wanted to make sure it ran.
The older V4s have been known to eat cams, so I pulled the valve covers and gave it all a once over.  Looks pretty good.

Tiny bit of scoring on a few of the surfaces, but nothing to be concerned with.

Gear driven cams!

I checked the clearances, and fortunately they were all well in spec.

Cracked open the varnish stink carbs.   They weren't too bad really.  Pilots were all plugged.   I gave them a once through, cleaned the jets, polished the float needle seats, replaced the float needles and bowl gaskets.    I ended up putting the original float needles in because the new ones threw the float height off by about 2 mm and the originals looked fine.   The slide diaphragms were nice and pliable.  I'd guess they've been replaced at one time.

The carb / manifold boots are going to need replacing, but they are good enough for now.  The engine will be coming out at some point if I take this thing all the way, so I'll deal with them then.

Getting the carbs in was as much fun as could be expected, especially with old boots.  Meaning, it sucked!     They eventually went, but it's just never fun with the V4s.

Then I cobbled a lawn mower battery in, and fired it up!    It ran really nice, but lots of black smoke.   Likely a combination of oil on the headers, carb cleaner, oil on the boots, and who knows what else.  Next step will be to put it outside and let it run for 20 minutes to see if that subsides.   I know it has a jet kit, so maybe its overly rich too.

Airbox lid off, and the airbox has been cut, so there is a lot of intake noise.   But the gear driven cam V4's just sound nice.  Especially with the Yosh cans.

Always nice to fire an old girl up after a lengthy hibernation!

greatbuffalo

Very cool, Hank. Nice to see it lives.