News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Swap Meet!

Started by Lonesome Dave, June 11, 2014, 11:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Robmcgrn and I have been in Bismarck the last couple of days.  The past two nights we have enjoyed the company and hospitality of one of Bismarck locals, NDave.  Chicken wings last night (Hooters) and tonight, barbecue ribs at a bar in Lincoln.  Anyway, we were talking about next weeks rally when the idea came up about doing a small m/c swap meet during the rally.

Last years rally several things swapped hands/owners.  So the basic idea is a couple of us local guys (robmcgrn and I) would bring a table or two and people could put there for sale or give away items there.  Mark it with your name and how much.  We all have moto items that need to go to a new home.

Over the last several rallies, I know I've either sold, bought, or know someone that has.

What do ya think............

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Dave do you have any rear sprockets for the WRR? I hear you sell them real cheap.

Lonesome Dave

Yes I do and you're real funny.  :o  Sorry, everyone, inside joke.  You can ask me at the rally.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

sandhillrider

LD can I ship my stuff to you? :) Don't think I can
tie all the stuff I need to sell on the DR for the ride out.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Wacked

Great idea.... I'm in!

Wacked

greatbuffalo

I do like this idea Dave, and if I things were a bit different I would have brung some stuff. The part of this I don't like though, is the chances are pretty good on me spending more money.  :-\
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

Great idea Dave! If I make it up I got some gear boots, jerseys, pants, etc. I could part with.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Lonesome Dave

I've received a lot of interest in the swap meet idea at the rally.  At breakfast on Saturday, Black Hawk gave me a brand new SPOT satellite messenger to sell at the swap meet.  He wants to sell it and give the proceeds to DDSR expense fund.  Now that's a great idea.  He said it was given to him as a gift and he never used it, and now doesn't need it.

I talked with a couple of guys about it.  We figured the best way to do this is with an open bid auction.  A bidder writes down what he's willing to pay (remember to support DDSR) and if someone out bids him, he can write down a higher bid.  Bidding will start on Thursday and end at 8 pm on Saturday night.  Because we're a small group, I think we should allow proxy bidding in case someone who's not attending the rally would like to have it.  However, once the rally starts, getting a hold of me to change a bid will be "spotty" at best (yes, pun intended!).

About the SPOT.  It's never been used, it is an older generation, but everything works the same as newer ones.  It's just slightly larger.  A new SPOT unit will cost $150 and sometimes less on sale.  Yes, it requires a yearly service subscription from SPOT.  The yearly costs of the subscription is $99 per year for the basic and $149 for the basic plus tracking.  See www.findmespot.com  Last year I had the tracking feature added to my account, but I found I didn't use that feature.  If a person was traveling a long distance and family/friends wanted to keep track of you, that feature would be worthwhile.  For me, no one cares exactly where I'm at, just that I can signal them I'm fine or need help. 

Black Hawk and his brother normally stop by the rally at least once or twice, so be sure and tell him thanks.  After the auction, I'll give the proceeds to Hank.

So let the bidding begin.............who will give me $10...........
LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

sandhillrider

Dave
Thanks for the offer to ship stuff out, Bonnie is coming
and we are going to trailer. Will throw some stuff in.
If anyone needs kids gear I have boots, pants, jerseys, gloves, and maybe some helmets.
Let me know and I will bring it along.