News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

GDR - Pursuing the Saga

Started by Wacked, June 15, 2014, 09:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

The GDR Saga started 5 years ago for me.  After 20 years, it got me back on the bike after a nerving bike accident.  It was a dad and daughter adventure that ended 31.5 miles into the trip.  She was 16 at the time on her TW200.  Thus far, its ended her bike days.  I continued on solo from Roosville to West Yellowstone.

Now, 5 years later, I'll pick up the trail again with some DDSR folks.  We'll be hitting the GDR from Salida CO to West Yellowstone MT the week following July 4th.  We'll be following "Cannonshot's" GPS tracks.  Thus, the push to test the "Galaxy" as a viable GPS navigation tool.

It will be interesting as we'll have a split crew - What?.  Yea, 3 of us will start in Salida and head north.  The other 3 will start in West Yellowstone and head south.   We'll meet somewhere in the middle and camp together, exchange tall tales and truck keys.  Then we'll continue on to our respective destinations.

Stay tuned

Wacked

Bogus Jim

Brad can you set GPS waypoints on your Galaxy? If so, can you mark where all the bears are and give me the waypoints. I am going to ride GDR in August and I don't want camp by any bears.

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Bogus Jim on June 15, 2014, 05:54:57 PM
Brad can you set GPS waypoints on your Galaxy? If so, can you mark where all the bears are and give me the waypoints. I am going to ride GDR in August and I don't want camp by any bears.

ROFL................

I hate Bears too.!
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

greatbuffalo

I'll take pics of the bears we see and geotag the photos. Then you can look at each individual Ursidea and decide if you take them or not. If its a wimpy fat bear I wouldn't worry. The lean skinny ones are the problems. He may take a extra look at you Jim and decide to wait for someone with more fat content.

Really looking forward this ride. So sorry that Eric will not be joining us. Any word on the wrist? 
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Dave,
Not sure where you are as far as sleeping bag goes. I know you have a military one but check the size. I have one that will fit your frame. It packs bigger than I'd like but may be smaller than the one you have. Its a Big Agnes good for like 15 degrees. It weights between 3 and 4 lbs, maybe closer to 4. That is a 12 inch ruler in the pic.

P1010041 by highplainsrider, on Flickr

I also have the 25 inch wide sleeping mat similar to mine but a bit wider, therefor bigger to pack but not much. I also have the another 20 incher you could use to save a bit of weight.

Lonesome Dave

Well its official..............I'm In, I'm going, I'll be there, I'm so excited, I can't wait!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Very cool Dave. It will be a good time. I am looking forward to it as well.

Bogus Jim

I think you're going to have a lot of fun, Dave!

I have a Big Agnes Air Core inflatable pad you can borrow if you want. Stuff size is 5" x 12" so it packs small. Inflated size is 72" x 20". Although, the 72" x 25" might be better for you if you're using a larger sleeping bag. If the pad works for you I'd probably sell it for $35, they're about $90-100 new.

When exactly are you guys leaving Salida? I am probably going to be in Pueblo over the 4th, Salida is not that far away. Would be fun to hook up for supper at least.

Lonesome Dave

Thanks Jim, I'm going to borrow GB's Big Agnes.  I might be interested in yours just not now.  As far as I know, were leaving Salida on Saturday, but might stay till Sunday if we feel like it.  That's what our fearless trail boss said.  Might be fun for supper.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

OK I'll give you a call Fri. / Sat. if I'm in the area. Have fun, take pictures.  :)

Lonesome Dave

Well everyone is about ready to go, except me!  I'm going nuts trying to get ready.  Wacked came over last night to drop his bike off and help me pack.  Basically he was throwing stuff OUT of my bags.  I sent this link to some of you that might be interested in our progress.  For those I missed, here's the link that will allow you to track us in real time.  (if it works)  If it doesn't work, maybe Jim can help.  Hopefully, the northern group will post their tracking link to see where we will eventually meet.

All these guys have done this before, except me.  Wish me luck!  LD

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0lvfe1cS4YNMMnrI0c3BCqBaEbUWCp2nO
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Wacked

Dude....  I draw the line at flannel PJs with enclosed bunny feet!  Really?

Hank

Have a whole bunch of fun!   I wish I was tagging along!

Sent the Altair 8800 I carry around.

Fletch

sounds like a great trip, enjoy!!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Stopped by and saw Dave's packing setup a couple nights ago... I was pretty impressed by the quick-draw knife fastened to the upper left fork tube. I guess if a bear gets you it won't be without a fight.   ;D

I usually turn on the SPOT at my house for 10-15 minutes to make sure the tracking link is working before leaving on a trip.