News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fall Rally 2014

Started by Lonesome Dave, July 20, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Hank, I wasn't sure where to put this....you decide.

Its time to get the Fall rally date and location set, actually probably overdue!  I talked with some of the different members since the summer rally about this.  I promised NDave I would post something this weekend about it.  So here goes.

I have thought for sometime we should try to move towards the southern hills for the fall rally and more importantly change the date to a week earlier.  I've had conversations with others and thought the Hill City area might be good.  I have also been told that having Cabins and a restaurant makes is much more appealing for some.  So today, I went to the Hill City area and checked out a few.  The following are the ones I went to.  There name, web, and approx. location.  And finally a word or two of my description.

High Country Guest Ranch --  www.highcountryranch.com  4 miles west of Hill City on Deerfield Road  -- No food, to pricey.

Crooked Creek Resort --  www.crookedcreeksd.com   2 or 3 miles south of Hill City  -- No food except Hill City, kinda pricey.
Rafter J Bar Ranch --  www.rafterj.com  2 or 3 miles south of Hill City  Very nice, huge place, NO food, kinda pricey.
3 Forks Campground -- http://blackhills.net/threeforkscampground/   Right at 3 forks before you get to Hill City -- nice people, No food,
       bar with bar food across the street.
Trailside Park Resort -- www.trailsideparkresort.com   Right on the south end of Hill City.  Nice place, right in Hill City, expensive cabins (at least $125, NO food, but right in Hill City.
Mountain Meadow Resort   www.mtmeadow.com  Right at Deerfield Lake.  We've stayed here before.  I think our best option.

I did not go to Palmer Gulch KOA, where we've been before.  I feel, (this is just me talking) that they were a bit sensitive to Jason's WR noise and speed on the first night when we were their last.  Jason got a verbal warning.  However, they do have everything we need; RVs, Tents, Cabins, showers and correct me if I'm wrong, a restaurant.  I just think because they are so close to Mt. Rushmore, there's not a lot of trails around camp.  You have to ride somewhere to go somewhere.  Okay, I've had my say, I'm only one person and will still go where the group wants to go.

So here's my opinion.  Others, please share and agree or disagree.  The problem we have with the Fall rally is its fall weather.  It can be cold.  The further west we go, we get into higher elevations and the more likely colder temps.  The day riding is just fine, the nights are cold.  The other thing with the Fall rally is we always have it on the third weekend of September.  Or other words, about 18th or 20th time frame.  I propose that we change the Rally date to a week earlier this year.  That would make it the 11th.  One week can make a big difference in the temperature.

In talking with Mountain Meadows Resort today, I mentioned the cold concerns.  They seem to want our business and are very accommodating to get it.  They told me that if it was too cold or wet, that they would open the store area up for us to gather around in the evenings.  And they have a campfire area just outside off of the deck.  Very similar to Fish and Fry.  I checked on availability and its wide open right now.  One more thing, if we should decide to go there, unlike two years ago, we will be allowed to have campfires.  There are no fire restrictions this year. 

I of course like the Mountain Meadows Resort and believe its our best option if we change the rally dates.  I think they have everything we need.  Including gas!  There right in the middle of the trail system and are easy access to southerly trails, ones that we have not often traveled.  Also, the infamous "Custer Loop" can be started just a few miles south of the Mt Meadows Resort and could end right at the resort.  Maybe we might just be able to complete the whole thing!

So, that's my two cents worth, or maybe a dollar.  We need to get everyone's thoughts, opinions, and/or ideas, and get this decided so we can make arrangements.  As far as dates are concerned, most places were available on the 11th or the 18th.   LD

Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

I've always liked mt meadows too.  Much better than the big koa.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Well, I'm hoping we can make this one.    Anywhere is fine, but Mt. Meadows worked well.     There are some pretty fun trails close by too.

A week earlier is also fine with me.

ryani

sounds fun to me.  Never ridden in that area.  Should be a good time!
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

mitchn06

i'm gonna try my dang hardest to make this one this time! i'm excited!
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

BCB1080

Mountain Meadow looks like a winner. I'm really pumped to make this one since I won't be working weekends for a while!

sandhillrider

Dave thanks for your work on this.
Looks good to us, we can't wait to get back out there.
Bought me a Go Pro, not going to miss another flying leg shot :)

Lonesome Dave

Yea, that would be 1st prize winner!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

Okay, due do the overwhelming response of the last few days (total of five I think).  It appears that everyone is okay with Mt. Meadows camp ground next to Deerfield Lake.  And, moving the date of the rally one week earlier than normal.  I spoke with Hank tonight about it and he agrees.

I will be camping at Red Bank Springs this weekend, and no doubt will be at Mt Meadows.  So my plan is to tell them we're coming on the weekend of Sept. 11th.  I'll get some details about costs then.   Oh yeah, if anyone is out and about this weekend near WY stop by the camp.  We have the entire place taken.  That sounds like a big deal, but its only 4 sites!

So, if there are any naysayers or others have concerns, say it now.  I won't have any internet past Friday morning.  Otherwise, it looks like the rally will be set.  LD 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

Thanks buddy.  Sounds grrrrrrreat!

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

I think this sounds like a good plan. Thanks for taking the lead Dave.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

mitchn06

would these rallys be worth advertising on Craigslist or anything, possibly to support DDSR? I feel like this group goes un-noticed and could grow stronger with the onset of Dual Sport and Adventure riding.

greatbuffalo

Mitch, its been discussed at length before and the general consensus is that we like flying under the radar. This group is just a bunch of friends and acquaintances that get together a couple of times a year to have fun and ride bikes. That's all we are. If we were plaster the name all over and accept sponsor $$ we would then get folks coming with some expectations as well as those folks putting up the cash for the sponsorship. The group is what it is: No expectations, No disappointments.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

I just want to add one thing to GB's comment.  I certainly don't keep DDSR a secret, I talk about it to riders I happen to meet and invite them to check us out.  And, even though we don't advertise or necessarily try to grow, we're always happy to see new people and try to make them feel welcome.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

mitchn06

thanks for the responses guys, makes sense to me. I can see where too many tires on the trails could be an issue as well. on that note.... i look forward to meeting you all at the upcoming rally. should be a blast! at the rate our temps are descending, it may just be 20 degrees at night in the hills. dang, makes for a nice ride into work though recently!