News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Badlands

Started by agspecialties, August 12, 2014, 02:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agspecialties

Hey locals
I and the family are coming up tomorrow for a few days. I have never taken the kids to the through the badlands. Anyway, my daughter and I are looking for a really cool spot to do some early sun raise pictures. Any of you guys have a good area for that??

Thanks
Aaron

Lonesome Dave

South of Red Shirt, SD (near Hermosa) is one of my favorites.  Its 6 to 10 miles south of Red Shirt on BIA 41 on the left (east) side at the top of a hill.  You will know when your there. 

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

I would also check out Sheep Mountain Table, south of Scenic. The view faces west so better pictures at dusk than dawn. It is a dead end trail so you have to turn around and come back out, but I thought the scenery was worth the 20 minute ride in/out.

greatbuffalo

Sheep Mountain Table was my first thought too. The area that Dave mentioned is good as well.

Sheep Mountain Table all the way to the end has some wonderful Easterly views. It also overlooks School of Mines canyon that I've always wanted to shoot a sunrise timelapse with the light flowing into it. That is on the Northwest edge on the end of the table.

The Notch Trail on the Eastern side of the park between the visitors center and I90, has an opening at the end that looks to the Southeast and would be another potential early morning photo opportunity in the making.

I've spent many many days in that park and have shot maybe 5000 photos there. I think you can make great images no matter where you are early or late in the day.

I might also add that, Sheep Mountain Table is the place in SD to view incoming storms. from the East, South, or West.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

I think everyone else has it covered. if you haven't been out there at sunrise/set it is pretty impressive. depending on weather there can be fantastic colors, they only last a couple minutes but are well worth it!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on August 13, 2014, 08:43:09 AM
I've spent many many days in that park and have shot maybe 5000 photos there.

Man I hate it when the camera's shutter button sticks. Hope you got that fixed.

agspecialties

Well guys thanks for the suggestions. What i did, was wake up at 3 in the morning and drove from Hill city to Wall and hit the badlands from there. I found a spot, but the sun just didn't pop out like i wanted it to. Had storm Thursday night and friday morning, so the storm was still passing through when i got there. Anyway, here is what i got. This is a 81 picture HDR pano of the badlands taken at 6 in the morning.

greatbuffalo

Cool Stuff. Glad you were able to get the shot. (shots)
That's a lot of images for your PC to render. Thankfully its a machine doing all that math.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Those are great!

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.