News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2014 LEAD-DEADWOOD Hare scramble.

Started by Stevsie, September 15, 2014, 11:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevsie

Anyone going to come out and watch? I'll be competing with several buddies this weekend. Should be fun!

2014 Lead-Deadwood Hare Scrambles

Ski Mystic/Deer Mountain
Saturday,Sept 20th 2014

Pro Classes: ($45)-Open Pro/250 Pro/+35 Vet Pro
Amateur Classes: ($35)- Open Am/250 Am/+35 Vet Am

Schoolboy Am (14-19 y.o. open displacement)
Mini Open Am (80-100cc 2stk/80-150cc 4stk)

**No Gate Fee**

Race Day Itinerary:
Parade lap        11am
Race Start      12noon

Race Description: The Lead-Deadwood Hare Scrambles is an off-road motorcycle race on a course laid out on the Ski Mystic/Deer Mountain ski area. The several mile-long course consists of long uphills and downhills with challenging single track trails on on of the most scenic mountains in the Black Hills. The race will be two hours plus one lap and has classes for amateurs and pros. Each amateur class will compete for trophies (3 places) and pros will compete for a guaranteed $1,500 purse.

Food/Beer/Drinks available at the chalet.

greatbuffalo

Thats pretty cool. Wish I was able to get out to watch this. I take it this is the first time for this event?

The ski area itself is not much to talk about but I can see it being a great venue for motorcycle racing.

Good luck to you and hope the event is a success.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Stevsie

First one that I know of. They are getting more and more into motor sports. They had a really good turn out for the snow cross. Its a couple local guys that organized the event.

Any advise I need before I race? It'll be my first race ever and first scramble.

I'm thinking ride hard off the line then just ride after I get comfortable. I'm not going to compete to hard.

Fletch

You can plan all you want but it goes out the window at the second turn. Just have fun. 
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

tannerc

Stevsie will you be wearing a gopro for this event? I would love to see how this turns out! Sounds cool!

http://northernhillsrec.org/?page_id=120

They have some info and videos on their FB page
http://www.facebook.com/northern.hills.5?fref=photo
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Stevsie

Sadly I don't have one. If someone wants to strap one to me I'd wear it. I'm super excited!

dufferv65

Out of curiosity, what class will be you  entering in and what's your ride?  This sound very tempting.... :-\

Stevsie

Open amateur on my 2007 YZ450.

I've been told its mostly open area 3/4th gear riding. Not many technical sections either.

dufferv65

Quote from: Stevsie on September 16, 2014, 02:54:29 PM
Open amateur on my 2007 YZ450.

I've been told its mostly open area 3/4th gear riding. Not many technical sections either.

I'm sold!  Sounds like it will be a fun time.  Planning on bringing the xr650r to terrorize that poor ski resort!
Who knows, I may end up even getting a ribbon out of the deal too.   ;D

Stevsie

I'll look for ya! I'm stupid excited. How often do you get to blast around on ski slopes. The course is going to be pretty cool. They are using the backside of the mountain as well.b 8)

greatbuffalo

Duffer is sold, Stevsie is stupid excited and I'm.................  jealous!

Hope you guys have a blast!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

chickenhauler31

Hey guys, thought I'd go check it out, didn't know who was who so I cheered for everyone!
I was surprised there was no information on the group, the race, etc for spectators. Just a thought I guess. Next year I'll be looking for the 650cc and up class
2013 KTM 690R

Bogus Jim

I didn't make it to the harescramble, I think I did see chickenhaulers mighty 690 pull into Rice Honda though. Didn't recognize you without the riding shorts.

I was in the parking lot with a couple KLR's from Manitoba.

chickenhauler31

10 4 that was me, I was trying to make out the license plates but I don't speak Canadian eh
2013 KTM 690R

Lonesome Dave

I went up to yesterday's Hare Scramble also.  As soon as I pull into Deer Mountain's parking area, I see Vickers427 (Austin).  Not much to see on the bottom, so we went up on top of the ridge where they were actually racing.  We had them buzzing by on both sides of us.  We saw dufferv65 go by several times.  On one lap, his rear tire hit a big rock, I thought he was going over the front, but he saved it.

We moved to another location, trying to get to a better spot, and found that we were riding on the racing track!  Oops, we moved right away.  We sat there the rest of the race.  Friendly group, we got lots of waves as they went by.  One guy waved hi, and motioned to us how sore/tired his arms were!  Couple of father/son pairs were there, and at least one father/daughter pair.  (I thought of Wacked and B-wacked doing this!) And finally, an old 1981 XR with handlebars that looked like they were off of an ATV.  This guy was riding on the "ragged edge" in jeans and old 80s style helmet with bolt on face protector.  Every time he came around you could hear him first before seeing him.  It was great.

Austin got a video of the start of the race, hopefully it turns out, it sounds really funny.

After the race, Austin and I left for Galena area to find the "Chinese Walls or Hercules Walls."

We finally ended up at Nemo to find a band playing and a big celebration for Nemo's 125th Anniversary.   Here's the link;  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Frapidcityjournal.com%2Fnews%2Fstate-and-regional%2Fnemo-celebrating-th-anniversary-this-weekend%2Farticle_7710855d-1998-5d41-9f37-ce723f3c5860.html&ei=hfceVOHBOZKHyATphIDYAw&usg=AFQjCNH9bDM6GzCdZ5Du7q4MAEyJFZUq1A&bvm=bv.75775273,d.aWw
It was a fun afternoon, and a lot better weather than last weekend!  Thanks Austin.

Older - Wiser - Faster !